Where did you serve a mission?

pam

4 hours ago, Traveler said:

I am still trying to figure out if I was lucky, blessed and honored to teach those I had opportunity to teach or if they were blessed to have me as the missionary that prepared them for baptism.

Why not both?

1 hour ago, mrmarklin said:

Bolivia, southern Peru and northern Chile. This was in 1967-1969. 

I learned Spanish. I speak with no discernible accent. When in Spain a few years ago I was asked by the hotel manager at the front desk where I was from. He was surprised when I said I was American, since I hadn't any accent but my appearance is very Nordic/Anglo. 

Is there not a significant difference between Bolivian, Peruvian, Chilean and Spanish accents?

1 hour ago, classylady said:

Germany, Duesseldorf mission. German speaking. 1976-1977.  Duesseldorf Mission is along the Rhine and Ruhr rivers. The area was pretty much totally bombed during WWII.  It was one large rebuilt factory city after another. This small-town girl was a little overwhelmed by all the people. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to serve a mission. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life, but so rewarding. My testimony was solidified and where I learned to truly love my Elder brother Jesus Christ.

I would love to go on one of those Viking River cruises.  I think it follows along that if I'm not mistaken.

2 hours ago, curious_mormon said:

Kumusta ka? Taga asa ka? Ang astig mo, nag serve nang mission sa pilipinas! :)

I'm fine thanks. I'm  from Australia. Which mission did you serve in and when were you there? My nephew finished his mission in the Philippines earlier this year.

8 hours ago, curious_mormon said:

Kumusta ka? Taga asa ka? Ang astig mo, nag serve nang mission sa pilipinas! :)

Uy, di tingali na siya kasabot ug astig kay 80's man iyang mission.  Kanang panahona popular pa ang "Ka bagets gud nimo, nag serbisyo ug mission sa Pilipiinas!".  :D

On 9/12/2016 at 10:09 AM, pam said:

I'm just curious as to where people from this forum site served a mission.  If you did serve one, where did you go and what language, if any, did you have to learn?

Michigan Detroit Mission. I was even able to visit Hell while i was there.

17 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Uy, di tingali na siya kasabot ug astig kay 80's man iyang mission.  Kanang panahona popular pa ang "Ka bagets gud nimo, nag serbisyo ug mission sa Pilipiinas!".  :D

ahaha kalataw-an man ka brad. 90's naman ko natawo..wala gani ko kabalo anang "bagets" nga word. Gi ganahan ka sa pilipinas? Lami kaayo didto, pero America moy pina ka lami.

Edited by curious_mormon

On September 12, 2016 at 10:35 PM, pam said:

I would love to go on one of those Viking River cruises.  I think it follows along that if I'm not mistaken.

I have only cruised a short distance on the Rhine River between Sankt Goar and the city of Bacharach, but it is probably the most scenic area of the river. There are beautiful castles, many vineyards, and The Lorelei along that section of the Rhine. Come with me and I will show you my beloved Germany!

8 hours ago, curious_mormon said:

ahaha kalataw-an man ka brad. 90's naman ko natawo..wala gani ko kabalo anang "bagets" nga word. Gi ganahan ka sa pilipinas? Lami kaayo didto, pero America moy pina ka lami.

Lami mulang!  Sige lang ug lakwatsa kay daghan ug maid.  Diri sa America, trabaho na, inig-uli mangluto pa ug manglaba!  Haaaay kapoy!

O, kana si Herbert Bautista nga mayor sa Quezon City, usa na siya sa mga bagets!

images-poster-bagets.jpg

On 9/13/2016 at 0:35 AM, pam said:

My husband and I want to go on one so badly! They aren't that bad from a cost perspective.....but, that's not factoring in the flight over there and back. :(

8 minutes ago, beefche said:

My husband and I want to go on one so badly! They aren't that bad from a cost perspective.....but, that's not factoring in the flight over there and back. :(

I thought they were pricier and I've had friends that have gone on one and they said it was more expensive as well.  But maybe they were counting in the cost of flying to Budapest to catch it.

A friend of mine just got back from one about a week ago.  Man oh man the pictures she posted on facebook were just amazing.  So many things she saw.  But then, they have money so they can afford all of the little extra luxuries as well.

We looked into it and the one we wanted to go on during the off season wasn't really that bad.  I wanna say around $700/ticket. But that's just the ticket for a 7 day cruise with food and excursions. Since it started in Budapest, we would have to get a flight there and back and possibly stay in an hotel overnight there and back. That will increase the cost significantly.  Still, it's something that I think we will eventually do...after several years of saving up for it. 

4 minutes ago, beefche said:

We looked into it and the one we wanted to go on during the off season wasn't really that bad.  I wanna say around $700/ticket. But that's just the ticket for a 7 day cruise with food and excursions. Since it started in Budapest, we would have to get a flight there and back and possibly stay in an hotel overnight there and back. That will increase the cost significantly.  Still, it's something that I think we will eventually do...after several years of saving up for it. 

Once every blue moon, tickets to some European city or other go for dirt cheap.  You would have to be ready to book at any next minute.  And as long as the city is close enough, a train ticket from there to the starting point of your river cruise should be cheap.  If it's a day-time train ride, you can watch the scenery.  If it's an over-night train ride, you can sleep.  Just something to consider.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:09 AM, pam said:

I'm just curious as to where people from this forum site served a mission.  If you did serve one, where did you go and what language, if any, did you have to learn?

I served in Canada Winnipeg and up to that point in my life, it was the most miserable two years of my existence.  I suffered from major depression and a serious case of social anxiety. 

17 minutes ago, beefche said:

I was just looking at the prices. The one that my friends just went on start at $1899.  For 2017 the cheapest for the one they went on is $2399 per person.

10 minutes ago, Jojo Bags said:

I served in Canada Winnipeg and up to that point in my life, it was the most miserable two years of my existence.  I suffered from major depression and a serious case of social anxiety. 

@Jojo BagsWhat years did you serve?  My sister and her husband both served in that mission.

• pam featured this topic

Utah Ogden Mission 2003-2005. 

Areas:

Sunset/Clinton

Star Valley WY

Central Ogden

Bountiful/North Salt Lake

Brigham City

I had to learn a slightly foreign language that resembles English... Specifically words like something seemed to lose clarifying articulation and sounded more akin to sumpin. Also I had to get used to the idea of calling overpasses and bridges viaducts. I'm still not sure if a couple three is referring to two or three or six :lol:

When I would get asked by people down there about learning the language I would joke about the intense linguistic training at the MTC where they would whip me every time I said Eh!

15 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Lami mulang!  Sige lang ug lakwatsa kay daghan ug maid.  Diri sa America, trabaho na, inig-uli mangluto pa ug manglaba!  Haaaay kapoy!

O, kana si Herbert Bautista nga mayor sa Quezon City, usa na siya sa mga bagets!

images-poster-bagets.jpg

haha, tino-od. daghan ug maid didto. hayahay kaayo. Tinood pod nga sige ra trabaho sa America, pina ka kapoy diri. Pero daghan kwarta...ahaha si Herbert Bautista, ka hinom dom paman ko ani, mga 12 years old pako.

18 hours ago, Jojo Bags said:

Oh dear. On the part of the Great White Norh, I apologize. Don't blame yourself many people feel that way in Winterpeg! They are getting a temple soon which may help.

• pam unfeatured and featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic