Contentious and mean responses

pam

“Today, I say that if the Church or its doctrines are attacked in blogs and other social media, contentious responses are not helpful. They disappoint our friends and provoke our adversaries,” said Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints during an address to students at Brigham Young University. The Mormon apostle was the devotional speaker in the Marriott Center on the Provo, Utah, campus Tuesday, September 13, 2016.

Elder Dallin H. Oaks

http://ldsmag.com/elder-oaks-addresses-elections-hope-and-freedom-at-byu/

I think this is also very applicable here on the forums.  I see personal attacks here on the site all of the time.  Yes, even from us moderators.   I think we all could be a little kinder in our responses.   

7 minutes ago, pam said:

I know I have those subjects which are "push my button' kinds of topics.  I have to really be careful.

I have my set of those too!

One thing I like about @MormonGator is he always tries to "make nice" with others through positive compliments even when they're banging heads on the thread.

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I have my set of those too!

One thing I like about @MormonGator is he always tries to "make nice" with others through positive compliments even when they're banging heads on the thread.

Very sweet of you to say, thank you @anatess2

It's important to remember that there is a person on the other side of that computer. A living, breathing person with their own thoughts, feelings and passions. If you disrespect them, you are showing very poorly on yourself. 

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, zil said:

Well, except in the case of us AIs.  We're just really good at imitating you creatures.

Have you seen the movie A.I? Good movie, very underrated.

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Is this the one with the kid from Sixth Sense and Jude Law who was super awesome as an Elvis-like AI?  I love that movie!

Yup, that's the one. The one that Kubrick died during the filming so Spielberg took over. 

Perhaps it is coincidence, but I just read this from Ardis Parshall: http://www.keepapitchinin.org/2016/09/15/giving-way-to-the-spirit-of-controversy-1890/ For those who don't want to read it, it describes a "disagreement" from about 1890 over whether partaking of the Sacrament provided absolution for sin or not.

Perhaps there is something in the harshness of our responses sometimes that is over 100 years old. We just love a good theological controversy and "discussion" (including calling each other apostate and heretic).

Though I will agree with Elder Oaks -- it is much better when we can figure out how to have these discussions without the name calling and such.

Edited by MrShorty

I listened to that talk a couple of days ago, and it was very timely for me. I had been annoyed by some prejudiced comments of some students about the church, and it had affected my view of said students. I decided to let it go, particularly because my position does not allow me to engage in such conversations in any way.

When I frequented this website in the past (it's been a few years now), one of the things that irked me was when some of the posters here would demonize anyone who had questions on the assumption that they were a troll. My perspective has always been that, even if they are trolls, others can still glean valuable information from well-thought out responses. The flip-side is that maybe these people weren't trolls, but they got labelled as such and thus were chased out of the website by contentious responses. 

In any case, there is much to be gained from giving people the benefit of the doubt and doing our best to be loving in all cases.