Explaining Law of Chastity to 11 year old investigator?

TilKingdomCome

Hi. I meet with the local missionaries every day to teach one of the investigators, who's getting baptised at the end of this month (she's asked me to baptise her

I have two questions:

1 - she speaks French. Her English is improving but neither me nor the mishies know French. Any tips on how to navigate this language gap?

2 - she's 11 years old. We haven't taught her this yet and I'm too afraid to ask the mishies as it's sorta awkward but how do we teach the Law of Chastity to her? I mean, she probably hasn't learnt about sex yet. Do missionaries usually skip this lesson entirely when dealing with youngsters or what usually happens in these cases? The other investigators I've helped teach are all older (the youngest is 17)

French pamphlets:lds.org, select a language, Francais, 

if you live near a temple, they have a list of workers and language skills. 

Please tell me you are female or the missionaries are sisters, if not you need a woman and not just for the law of chastity lesson. If you don't have a female, please call relief society president. 

For further French help, laptop and google translate.

Bon chance mon ami!

Edited by Sunday21

Interestingly, one of my first discussions when I arrived as a missionary to a French speaking area was the LoC discussion to a 12 and 10 year old pair of siblings. As I recall, we left out a lot of the sexual detail, focusing the discussion on the importance of marriage and fidelity and how bearing children should occur within the marriage covenant.

6 minutes ago, MrShorty said:

Interestingly, one of my first discussions when I arrived as a missionary to a French speaking area was the LoC discussion to a 12 and 10 year old pair of siblings. As I recall, we left out a lot of the sexual detail, focusing the discussion on the importance of marriage and fidelity and how bearing children should occur within the marriage covenant.

Good choices! A nice approach.

My sister is a nurse. In usa they are giving vaccines for a certain sexually transmitted disease that I have never heard of at age 12. She called to tell me this yesterday. 

Until recently it was legal to engage in this activity with someone of age 14 in my country. We changed the age only recently because of the visitors we attracted.

1 hour ago, TilKingdomCome said:

I mean, she probably hasn't learnt about sex yet. 

Do NOT assume this.  Do NOT assume ANYTHING in this situation.  

What are her parents' role in this investigation?  I would bring this up with them before talking with her about it.  Get their permission and guidance first. 

Edited by Jane_Doe

2 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

French pamphlets:lds.org, select a language, Francais, 

if you live near a temple, they have a list of workers and language skills. 

Please tell me you are female or the missionaries are sisters, if not you need a woman and not just for the law of chastity lesson. If you don't have a female, please call relief society president. 

For further French help, laptop and google translate.

Bon chance mon ami!

Thanks for the pamphlets. Unfortunately, we live nowhere near a temple and the only French-speaking local church member went home about a month ago.

Neither me nor the missionaries are female. Why? If it's about "The Rule of Three", I thought that - as long as there are three males there teaching one female - it's ok? Most of the time when missionaries ask me to help them teach, it's with a female.

We've tried using google translate, but it can be a bit distracting at times, always having to stop what we're saying to check up the French version of a word.

2 hours ago, MrShorty said:

Good approach, but I was more concerned with when we're teaching her about the rules of dating and what is/isn't allowed (eg heavy-petting, kissing etc)

1 hour ago, Jane_Doe said:

Do NOT assume this.  Do NOT assume ANYTHING in this situation.  

What are her parents' role in this investigation?  I would bring this up with them before talking with her about it.  Get their permission and guidance first. 

We used to teach her mum (that's how we found her) but her mum's since lost interest. She used to sit with us when we taught the daughter but we haven't seen her for a few lessons now.

52 minutes ago, TilKingdomCome said:

We used to teach her mum (that's how we found her) but her mum's since lost interest. She used to sit with us when we taught the daughter but we haven't seen her for a few lessons now.

I would advise talking to her mum about to approach the daughter about the subject.  Because:

1) You don't want to talk to any minor about sexual topics without expressly getting parent's permission.

2) Mum can provide guidance about how they talk about sex in that house.  Are they open and candid about it, or are do they use euphemisms?  You want to talk to the daughter in the way she knows to talk about this subject.

3) (Echoing Sunday's post) It would be a good idea to have mom in the room for this conversation.  If she for some reason flat-out refuses, I would bring a female ward member (maybe the Beehive teacher or her primary teacher?). 

Edited by Jane_Doe

Nooooo. Don't talk to a minor female without a woman in the room! Imagine the headlines! I undestand that your culture differs from mine but seriously this is a bad idea. Perhaps this is indeed a cultural difference but really our cultures cannot differ that drastically. We don't discuss the law of chastity without a woman present. How do I know? I am the woman!

Edited by Sunday21

12 minutes ago, TilKingdomCome said:

Hmm, I understand where you're coming from. However, we had the Law of Chastity lesson with our 17 year old investigator before (she'd also be considered a "minor female") so maybe different rules depending on what mission you're in?

You should have had a parent their to.  17 is close to legal adulthood, but it's still not.