Being "sorta" Raised in the Church

What sort of things did your parents raise you with that were just plain wrong.  Examples from my life:

1. My parents told me that the tea at Chinese restaurants was herbal tea so I drank it until I was in my 20s.  (yes, years after my mission).
  2. I never even knew there were Saturday sessions of conference until I was a freshman at BYU.  I didn't know about women's conference until I was married.
  3. Multiple doctrinal falsehoods.
  4. Parents said the cross was really a Satanic symbol.
  5. They forced me (yes, against my will) to drink a caffeinated beverage.
  6. The word of wisdom said to eat more meat than vegetables.  No, I have no idea how they got that.
  7. "Shedding of innocent blood" meant killing someone under 8.
  8. Homosexuals were created because they had a special mission which required them to be celibate.
Edited by Guest

Well, my upbringing was a bit... off... in terms of normal.  But here are some things I learned at church (and who was teaching it):

1. Since a third sided with Satan, that means one out of every three people you meet in life, is a demon in disguise (Sunday School teacher, who later moved his family to Missouri because "it" was about to happen.)

2. "You don't need to take a pill to feel the spirit" (Clueless 1st counselor in the Bishopric, over the pulpit at sacrament meeting, in an otherwise pretty ok talk about how to feel the spirit.)

3. Joseph Smith visited several phrenologists, so it's totally legitimate! (Random visiting teacher, who was also RS president at the time.  Fun ward.)

4. God hates homosexuals (Random guy in BoyScouts.  Fortunately, said in a room devoid of boy scouts, just a couple other leaders who looked as uncomfortable as I did.)

5. If your husband never joins the church, it's ok, God will just assign you a worthy husband on the other side.  (Dood teaching temple prep class.  Yes, partmember lady did go running out of the room crying.  Yes, Bishop did get involved, as well as a big wave of supportive people for the sister.  Yes, sister is still running strong to this day, thankfully.)

6. "They say you shouldn't have favorites, but [kid #1] was my favorite."  (Dood giving a testimony, said in front of his other kids.  Yes, they're all divorced and somewhere better now.  #5 and #6 are the same guy.)

7. "Don't wear denim in church, and don't pee on the trees!"  (Sister giving a testimony.  She continues to be a wild card to this day.  I think most of us have learned to accept her with a modicum of fondness.)

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

What sort of things did your parents raise you with that were just plain wrong.  Examples from my life:

1. My parents told me that the tea at Chinese restaurants was herbal tea so I drank it until I was in my 20s.  (yes, years after my mission).
  2. I never even knew there were Saturday sessions of conference until I was a freshman at BYU.  I didn't know about women's conference until I was married.
  3. Multiple doctrinal falsehoods.
  4. Parents said the cross was really a Satanic symbol.
  5. They forced me (yes, against my will) to drink a caffeinated beverage.
  6. The word of wisdom said to eat more meat than vegetables.  No, I have no idea how they got that.
  7. "Shedding of innocent blood" meant killing someone under 8.
  8. Homosexuals were created because they had a special mission which required them to be celibate.

I remember as a missionary going to eat at the bishop's house and he served everyone iced tea!  I refused to touch it and complemented the bishop on the rest of the meal, but my companion, who was both my senior companion and trainer, just downed the glass like it was orange juice!  We later had a warm discussion regarding whether iced tea is against the word of wisdom or not.

Years later, i finally got a taste of iced tea when i was eating at a restaurant and the waiter refilled my diet coke with iced tea accidentally.  About the grossest thing i have ever tasted..

I belonged to a really small ward in Manitoba, maybe 5 families and me! They were darling, kind people and true Christians but..the bishopric made a rule that we were only allowed to read conference talks as sacrament talks. The talks previous to this rule were very crazy! But I loved that ward. They were endlessly understanding to a former atheist who did not know that Jesus was Jewish. 

Edited by Sunday21