Utah Mormon problems

Backroads

For about two years now, I have clandestinely put aside my husband's tattered garments whilst doing the laundry. For the past some months he has complained about his lack of garments. We have not yet been able to swing to the distribution center 10 minutes from our home, the one easily on my way to work. Husband then vowed one day to use his lunch break to go to the Deseret Book round the corner from his office. Today we were in this area and made a pact as a family to enter this Deseret Book with the express purpose of purchasing garments.

We did, only to immediately discover this bookstore was not attaxhed to a distrution center despite seemingly every bookstore in Utah being that way. Google said this decent-sized city went to the next city for distribution center needs. We were horrified at this and mourned the travel hardships of the local saints. We then ordered Husband's garments online because the on in our city is apparently still inconvenient despite the fact we take our kids to the childrens museum next to it every other week.

Being a Utah Mormon is hard.

Or we are just that lazy.

We share our stake center with three other wards.  It's a 20-minute walk away from our house.  They're building another chapel in our stake that's only a 10-minute walk from our house, but our ward won't be assigned to that building once it's built; because the new building won't have enough classrooms to accommodate all the kids in our ward.

Also, our stake president lives in our ward boundaries.  Awesome guy--love him to death--but he is so self-sacrificing that he consistently volunteers his own ward to take the crappiest meeting time in the shared building.  Hence, our ward is on its third consecutive year of 1:30 church.

6 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Also, our stake president lives in our ward boundaries.  Awesome guy--love him to death--but he is so self-sacrificing that he consistently volunteers his own ward to take the crappiest meeting time in the shared building.  Hence, our ward is on its third consecutive year of 1:30 church.

I've always thought the middle meeting time was the worst because that is when the chapel is the most noisy and crowded. Now that we are down to two wards in the chapel, we swap meting times every year. For some reason, there is lingering resentment that when the other ward has the morning meeting time they start at 9;30 whereas our morning meeting time is 9:00. They start half an hour later than us because some of there members have to travel about 100 kilometers or more.

Edited by askandanswer

9 hours ago, zil said:

Just move to high-density Zion. :D

Yes. Everyone flees low density Mormonism as soon as they can. This is one reason why we are low density. I am going to be one of few to stay and keep the lights on! Unless called to serve, I am determined to stick around and help. I can't describe the experience of being one of the few to keep a little temple operating. Boy do you feel needed!

7 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Yes. Everyone flees low density Mormonism as soon as they can. This is one reason why we are low density. I am going to be one of few to stay and keep the lights on! Unless called to serve, I am determined to stick around and help. I can't describe the experience of being one of the few to keep a little temple operating. Boy do you feel needed!

I actually like low density Mormonism: you come to Church and Christ because it is the desire of your heart.  Not because it was convenient.

• pam featured this topic

tesuji's response reminded me of the problem of finding the right building.

"We're looking for the Smith's baby blessing." "Do you know what ward or building?" "The 242nd ward." "This is the 142nd ward. The 242nd ward meets a block down on the NW corner of the intersection. Be sure to get the right building, because the SE corner of that intersection is the 342nd ward."

27 minutes ago, MrShorty said:

tesuji's response reminded me of the problem of finding the right building.

"We're looking for the Smith's baby blessing." "Do you know what ward or building?" "The 242nd ward." "This is the 142nd ward. The 242nd ward meets a block down on the NW corner of the intersection. Be sure to get the right building, because the SE corner of that intersection is the 342nd ward."

Now that is a Utah Mormon problem! :D

• pam unfeatured this topic