What-- I have home teachers????

Jane_Doe

Well what do you know: I have home teachers!  How'd of thought that?  I've never had home teachers in 10 years!  I better get some cookies out of the freezer so that they come back.... 

Anyone else ever have that realization?  

Edited by Jane_Doe

Every adult member has home teachers and visiting teachers (or should within a month or two of arriving).  It's just that sometimes we don't know who they are.  I have instructed my VT District Supervisors that if there is a sister in their district who has not been visited in recent history, they should contact her and tell her who her visiting teachers are and how to contact them.  IMO, any member who wants VTers / HTers and hasn't heard from them should go to the RS / EQ President (or HP group leader if single female) and ask who their VTers / HTers are and get contact info, then call and invite them over.  :)

Edited by zil

Guest MormonGator

I had them up north. I've gone a few times in my new ward but so far no one has bothered to show up at my house.  Same with missionaries. We'd have them over weekly for dinner up north. Down here? Nope. Sad too. 

Edited by MormonGator

3 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

Well what do you know: I have home teachers!  How'd of thought that?  I've never had home teachers in 10 years!  I better get some cookies out of the freezer so that they come back.... 

Are you sure they intended to visit? Or did they just get lost on their way to someone else?

1 hour ago, askandanswer said:

Are you sure they intended to visit? Or did they just get lost on their way to someone else?

Lol! 

Aside: I found out one of them is a professor I distantly worked with.  I didn't know he was my HT, or a member of the Bishopric, or LDS.

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

I had them up north. I've gone a few times in my new ward but so far no one has bothered to show up at my house.  Same with missionaries. We'd have them over weekly for dinner up north. Down here? Nope. Sad too. 

Now missionaries are easy to summon over: ring the dinner bell :)

13 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

What are you talking about?  What are home teachers?  I thought they were a myth.

I've lived in the same house for almost 9 years and I've never had home teachers.  Even when my Bishop was my home teacher I never had them.

I've also only had 1 visiting teacher visit.

My stake is pretty good and we sit around 30-40%.  It's pretty sad that is a "good" number.

I think it is about the vision and for whatever reason people won't seek it and embrace it once they understand.  I take that back, I think once they catch the vision they embrace it.

19 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

My husband until quite recently has had crazy work hours and missed roughly half of church attendance. We've been in the ward about two years now. This ward has a good number of established families, but also happens to be in the starter home area of the city while encompassing three apartment buildings of student families. So... my husband sort of hid under the radar, despite speaking in church twice. Until last month. Now he's a home teacher and we have home teachers.

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

That is appalling!

Yeah they send me a text message, never call, to find out what is good night to come.  I tell them and then never hear from them again for about a year.

6 hours ago, pam said:

I've lived in the same house for almost 9 years and I've never had home teachers.  Even when my Bishop was my home teacher I never had them.

I've also only had 1 visiting teacher visit.

2 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

That is appalling!

1 hour ago, pam said:

Yeah they send me a text message, never call, to find out what is good night to come.  I tell them and then never hear from them again for about a year.

Remember, this is Pam we're talking about. No visits in nine years is completely understandable.  Perhaps the HPGL really doesn't want to inflict such a torment on his home teacher companionships. :) 

23 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Unfortunately the majority of our church has failed to gain a testimony of HT/VT and embrace it.  I love HT my families.

That's so true ......I have been Hometeaching a Sister in our Ward for like 5-6 yrs.  Her husband was not a member.  Almost a year ago he was Baptised and was just ordained an Elder last week.   

16 hours ago, askandanswer said:

I kind of thought low home teaching figures were just a problem for our stake, or maybe just an Australian problem. Its interesting to see that its such a widespread problem.

My best and only truly home teacher was in Oz, in Penrith.