Book of Mormon - variations on a theme

I was reading thru some threads I'd missed and came across someone asking about the BoM and mentioning that the language was a little difficult, etc. I wanted to suggest something, but thought better of it, because I don't know if it's 'approved' to do it this way:

Can/do you recommend other versions of the BoM to investigators?

I consider myself a pretty smart cookie, but for the life of me could not get into the BoM when investigating. I finally hit upon the children't version on the church website, which was helpful. I recently re-read 'The Two Hour Book of Mormon' by Lawrence Anderson. I don't know where my mind was the first time I read it, but this time, I got the stories, I got where it was going, etc. For me it wasn't the language, it was just trying to follow the plot. I have read the actual BoM, but it just never flows for me.

Anyway, I chose to do it that way, but don't know if I should recommend these approaches to other people.

Thoughts? 

25 minutes ago, dahlia said:

I was reading thru some threads I'd missed and came across someone asking about the BoM and mentioning that the language was a little difficult, etc. I wanted to suggest something, but thought better of it, because I don't know if it's 'approved' to do it this way:

I consider myself a pretty smart cookie, but for the life of me could not get into the BoM when investigating. I finally hit upon the children't version on the church website, which was helpful. I recently re-read 'The Two Hour Book of Mormon' by Lawrence Anderson. I don't know where my mind was the first time I read it, but this time, I got the stories, I got where it was going, etc. For me it wasn't the language, it was just trying to follow the plot. I have read the actual BoM, but it just never flows for me.

Anyway, I chose to do it that way, but don't know if I should recommend these approaches to other people.

Thoughts? 

I love the 2 hour Book of Mormon! It is my lifeline! I read a couple of chapters in it and then my real Book of Mormon. I also love a Book of Mormon timeline that I bought on amazon. It rally helps with mosiah. For years I would start at the beginning of the Book of Mormon, get somewhere in mosiah, get hopelessly confused and then start over from the beginning again. 

I love the ridges books,commentary and text alin one,

I've tried to read the Book of Mormon but have found it difficult to get into. Since I came across Grant Hardy, I've learned that he has a book called Understanding the Book of Mormon: A Reader's Guide. I would think something like this would make the book less difficult to get into.

https://www.amazon.ca/Understanding-Book-Mormon-Readers-Guide/dp/0199731705

M.

23 hours ago, dahlia said:

Thoughts? 

Sure. We had an investigator that had some form of learning disability, and I don't remember the whole details now. They were given the Book of Mormon stories. These are still published by the Church.

My first thoughts would be to recommend things which are Church published; however, the spirit is the real teacher and one may be inspired to recommend something that they otherwise would not that would work for that individual and may be not others.

• 3 weeks later...

It might be helpful to view the Book of Mormon less as a story with a plot, but more as a collection of personal journal entries specifically selected to primarily teach the most essential and the most necessary aspect of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

This most essential and necessary aspect of the Gospel of Jesus Christ through which all other blessings and promises flow is identified in a multitude of ways in the Book of Mormon: Broken heart and a contrite spirit = Remission of sins = baptism by fire = Born again = Conversion = Entering in at the gate = being on the strait and narrow path = Receiving the Holy Ghost = Obtaining the Holy Ghost = Mighty Change of Heart = Saved

Being baptized by fire (not just water) and receiving the Holy Ghost is the first principle and ordinance of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Through and through you will see this theme represent, discussed, fleshed out, and repeated. Other things discussed but connected: Examples of what it means to have the Holy Ghost. How the Holy Ghost is connected to priesthood power. Gifts of the Spirit. The signs that follow receiving the Holy Ghost. What we can look for in our life to know if we have the Holy Ghost. Examples of what we can accomplish with the gift of the Holy Ghost. Examples of how people obtained a broken heart and a contrite spirit. What it takes to be baptized by fire and to receive the Holy Ghost. Trials that will follow once you are baptized by fire and receive the Holy Ghost. Showing that there is more and that being baptized by fire and receiving the Holy Ghost is just the beginning or entering in at the gate and being on the correct path.

In short, the Book of Mormon is primarily teaching us the doctrine of Christ which Jesus summarized like this:

35 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso believeth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost.

36 And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one.

37 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things.

38 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.

39 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and whoso buildeth upon this buildeth upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them.

-Finrock