3 Month supply

pam

Lipton's Rice-n-Sides has Cheesy Broccoli -n-Rice and cheesy chicken-n-rice. Frozen dinners by Marie Calender's, Healthy Choice, Michelina's, Banquet, Green Giant just to name a few.

Nope, lots of people did it, do it. I prefer processed cheese over melting cheddar w/cream added. Hubby #2 loves the cheddar as much as he loves the processed cheese.

As a clarification, Hubby #1 whom I was married to for 25 years was 1/2 Japanese/1/4 Cherokee/1/4 Caucasian. Hubby #2 & I have been married 12 years now, and he pretty much like everything I cook. There are a few comfort to me foods, that he would prefer I not feed to him. That is easy to do.

18 hours ago, Iggy said:

Lipton's Rice-n-Sides has Cheesy Broccoli -n-Rice and cheesy chicken-n-rice. Frozen dinners by Marie Calender's, Healthy Choice, Michelina's, Banquet, Green Giant just to name a few.

Nope, lots of people did it, do it. I prefer processed cheese over melting cheddar w/cream added. Hubby #2 loves the cheddar as much as he loves the processed cheese.

As a clarification, Hubby #1 whom I was married to for 25 years was 1/2 Japanese/1/4 Cherokee/1/4 Caucasian. Hubby #2 & I have been married 12 years now, and he pretty much like everything I cook. There are a few comfort to me foods, that he would prefer I not feed to him. That is easy to do.

I don't count anything that has to be frozen in my supply.  If the power were to go out for an extended period, all of that would be lost.  I rely on things I can store in my pantry.

21 minutes ago, pam said:

I don't count anything that has to be frozen in my supply.  If the power were to go out for an extended period, all of that would be lost.  I rely on things I can store in my pantry.

One of my friends built a 10x15 shed for his food storage.  It has its own air-conditioner because it gets steamy hot in Florida.  When the power went out on Matthew, he used his generator to power the AC in the shed but not the house.  So the kids hung out with their food storage. :D

Before we got evacuated a few years back, we went 3 days without power.  Natural disasters can disrupt the heck out of the power grid. 

We've got a freezer full of stuff and I'm going hunting soon.  Gotta get that generator.  Which means building a little thing to store gas cans.  Which means beefing up the gas storage rotation schedule.  

10 hours ago, pam said:

If your freezer is full - the food will stay frozen for nearly a week. Been there done that.

4 hours ago, Iggy said:

If your freezer is full - the food will stay frozen for nearly a week. Been there done that.

Yes.  So, what we did when the Hurricane was still a couple days away was to fill tupperware and plastic gallons (we have a whole slew of these - over a hundred - from years of buying Hawaiian Punch) with water and stick it in the freezer.  When we lost power, we moved a few of them to the fridge.

We've never been big bread eaters (don't know why I keep saying 'we,' the son and heir has moved out, mostly). What do people do with wheat besides bread and bread-like products?

I'm trying to do lower carb for my diabetes. That said, if stuff went haywire, I guess I'd rather have carbs than nothing. But I'd rather have rice than bread.

Am I missing some necessary foodstuff here by storing rice and not wheat? 

1 hour ago, dahlia said:

Rice tends to have a lower percentage of protein than wheat does.  And if you store white rice, it has fewer nutrients than wheat.  If you store brown rice, it needs to be nitrogen packed or something similar since the additional oils from brown rice make it go rancid faster than white rice.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, dahlia said:

I can't have wheat because of my Crohn's disease.  And I can't have brown rice.  But I can eat white rice.  So I store a lot of that.  Besides brown rice has a much shorter shelf life than white rice does.

On 10/14/2016 at 7:33 PM, Iggy said:

And if there was a huge natural disaster and you had no power for longer than that?  Can you eat everything in your freezer fast enough before it goes bad?  My point is...frozen food relies on electricity.  I don't count anything that relies on electricity as part of my food storage.  Short or long term.

22 hours ago, anatess2 said:

No.

Most Filipinos have not had wheat in their entire lifetimes.  They have not gone extinct.

Rice for the win!  My stepfather's people were from Eleuthera, a small island in the Caribbean. We had rice all the time, even if we also had potatoes. If he didn't have rice, he felt like he hadn't eaten. 

• pam unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

If you have a  Winco anywhere near you they have a great sale on store brand canned vegetables going on.  Peas, corn, creamed corn, french style green beans and cut green beans.  33 cents a can.  Great time to stock up.  I bought a bunch tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
On October 5, 2016 at 9:51 PM, pam said:

Yes Spam.  I happen to like Spam and actually eat it quite often.  Fried spam sandwiches with some mayo are yummy. :)

At one of our Family Christmas Parties, we always have Spam and Cheese Sandwiches. 

Spam sent through a grinder. Cheese shredded. Mix together then placed on top of hamburger buns and toasted. 

I only indulge in this delicacy at this one party, but if we did not serve these I think we would witness an uprising of the worst kind! ?