Dating Sites?

Guest User-Removed

Oooooo this could be a challenge. Teaching an OldDog new tricks...or a newly culturely refined old dog.

A few months back...I finally broke down and bought an iPhone.

My Stake President was looking it over at the gym one afternoon and asked how the iPod feature worked...I showed him...as he was looking at my play list...he exclaimed..."Oh...you are just soooooooo wrong...who would ever have Lou Reed and Bruce R. McConkie on their iPhone at the same time"

I instantly retorted..."Better than Janis Kapp Perry"....we both howled...

A few months back...I finally broke down and bought an iPhone.

My Stake President was looking it over at the gym one afternoon and asked how the iPod feature worked...I showed him...as he was looking at my play list...he exclaimed..."Oh...you are just soooooooo wrong...who would ever have Lou Reed and Bruce R. McConkie on their iPhone at the same time"

I instantly retorted..."Better than Janis Kapp Perry"....we both howled...

Howled...as in like Atomic Dogs? Mwahahaha

Wasn't it President Hinckley who warned us not to be looking for love on the internet?

I'm not sure he warned us against that, but if any of you know for a fact, please send the info to me; I'd really would like to read it. Internet dating has never been my style; I like to meet people, talk, see them, well, the old-fashioned way and then use the Internet to keep in touch daily if something develops from real life meetings. It's so easy to pretend something you're not on a dating site/Internet, or just because I might "create" a person I believe you are just for what I read about you and what you write about yourself.

I have tried in the past (About 4-5 years ago), and it did confirm my previous instincts; I believe that people can find someone that way though, but it's just not my style... and I'm biased about it.

People can pretend what they are not in real life as well on a dating site, and I have experienced the worst of both worlds... :(

Interesting enough as I thought about this subject again, I received an email about marriage pasted below:

Marriage Requires Thoughtful Preparation

---------------------------------------------------

"The best way to avoid divorce from an unfaithful, abusive, or unsupportive spouse is to avoid marriage to such a person. If you wish to marry well, inquire well. Associations through 'hanging out' orexchanging information on the Internet are not a sufficient basis for marriage. There should be dating, followed by careful and thoughtful and thorough courtship. There should be ample opportunities to experience theprospective spouse's behavior in a variety of circumstances. Fiances should learn everything they can about the families with whom they will soon be joined in marriage. In all of this, we should realize that a good marriage does not require a perfect man or a perfect woman. It only requires a man and a woman committed to strive together toward perfection.

"President Spencer W. Kimball taught: 'Two individuals approaching the marriage altar must realize that to attain the happy marriage which they hope for they must know that marriage . . . means sacrifice, sharing, and even a reduction of some personal liberties. It means long, hard economizing. It means children who bring with them financial burdens, service burdens, care and worry burdens; but also it means the deepest and sweetest emotions of all.' (Teachings ofPresidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball [2006], 194.)" (Dallin H. Oaks, "Divorce," Ensign, May 2007, 73 )

With that in mind, I intend to follow the leaders' advice on it especially since I attended a full course on Eternal Marriage in 2005, and I'm so grateful I followed their counsel and avoided another failed marriage; that's what it would have been. Being alone is, by far, much better than being with the wrong person:D That I know for sure! I'm not in a hurry to make one of the most important decisions of my life (Forgive me if I sound too distrusting; they are deep/serious consequences of previous experiences that I'm working on with divine assistance!)

To all of you who had good experiences in real life or otherwise, I'm really happy for you; to those who are trying, keep on going remembering the counsel of the Prophets and leaders on this very important subject. Remember, at least 2 lives will be involved, your honesty about your intentions and who you are/want will spare both of a lot of hurtful experiences so be kind to both!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...