Sister Oscarson Talks About Our Day

lds2

Some of the highlights that stood out to me...

"we live in “perilous times.”

The conditions of our day should not be a surprise to us. They have been foretold for millennia as a warning and admonition so that we can be prepared.

The 8th chapter of Mormon gives a disconcertingly accurate description of the conditions of our day."

[Some of the very elect will be deceived.]

[We need to be prepared for the storms that lie ahead.]

"We need women who can detect deception in all of its forms." 

"We need women who know how to access the power that God makes available to covenant keepers."

"All women need to see themselves as essential participants in the work of the priesthood."

"...the Lord has blessed us, as women who live in these perilous times, with all of the power, gifts, and strength that are needed in order to prepare the world for the Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ."  

Rise Up In Strength, Sister in Zion

by Barbara L Oscarson

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2016/10/rise-up-in-strength-sisters-in-zion?lang=eng

Edited by lds2

17 hours ago, pam said:

Her name is Bonnie not Barbara. :)

I hesitate voicing my concerns because of the importance and critical nature of our time and place - but here it is anyway – what is the benefit of being warned about being run over by a truck if you cannot prevent it or avoid it?  Or if the warning is ambiguous and unclear - if it will occur tomorrow, next week, in 5 years or 500 years?  How can we prepare for things that we cannot avoid or prevent?  How do we prepare if we do not know the specifics? Preparing for an earthquake is different than preparing for a civil war, an epidemic, a traffic accident or a secret society importing drugs and controlling vital elements of our government.

At this point of my life I am not concerned if I suffer some or even die.  My concerns are my children, grandchildren and your children.  I am quite certain things will eventually turn out as they should but what can any of us actually do to change anything beyond ourselves?  What can any of us do for the upcoming generation?   And who can we or who should we count on to stand with us? 

I feel like the rich young man that asked Jesus what he should do?  And I wonder what we may be holding on to that needs to be given up?  I recall, as a young man serving in the military; boarding a train to take me and others to combat.  I recall wondering if I would ever see my family or home again in this life – then just before the train left I was order off and given new orders – some of my friends left and never returned other returned but were never the same.  I something think that it would be easier to be one that did not return. 

For me, in my quiet prayers, if there are hardships – let them fall on me.  The hardship I fear the most and am the least prepared for is watching the hardships fall on others.

The Traveler

A lot of being warned by church leaders to be prepared about upcoming events is more about obedience than anything else.  Will we follow their counsel and be obedient or will we sit back and say let the hardship fall where they may?

13 hours ago, Traveler said:

what is the benefit of being warned about being run over by a truck if you cannot prevent it or avoid it? ... How can we prepare for things that we cannot avoid or prevent?  How do we prepare if we do not know the specifics? Preparing for an earthquake is different than preparing for a civil war, an epidemic, a traffic accident or a secret society importing drugs and controlling vital elements of our government.

I guess you missed the OP even though you read it.  The things that Sis. Oscarson writes are not about food storage or getting guns and bullets or having a power supply or water supply.  Her suggestions are spiritual preparation.

While we know that the end times approach, we also know that the best way to prepare is not "just" physical/emergency preparedness, but spiritual preparedness.  And that is how we prepare for it.  

Do you think the pioneers were prepared for all the hardships they experienced when crossing the plains?  No, they did the best they could physically.  But it was their spiritual preparation that carried them through.

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I guess you missed the OP even though you read it.  The things that Sis. Oscarson writes are not about food storage or getting guns and bullets or having a power supply or water supply.  Her suggestions are spiritual preparation.

While we know that the end times approach, we also know that the best way to prepare is not "just" physical/emergency preparedness, but spiritual preparedness.  And that is how we prepare for it.  

Do you think the pioneers were prepared for all the hardships they experienced when crossing the plains?  No, they did the best they could physically.  But it was their spiritual preparation that carried them through.

I am so glad you read my post and responded.  Often I am not good at communicating deep concerns that I have because of life experiences.  Most important things that I thought I was well prepared for in this life; it turned out there was a lot I was not prepared for – but I could have been and should have been more spiritually prepared.  I would use my mission as an example.  I prepared all my life for a mission – mostly spiritual preparation.  Before I turned in my paper work for my mission; I memorized the recommended 250 missionary scriptures and all the discussions that the missionaries were consoled to use when I served.  I thought I would serve in Germany and learned the German language and studied its history and culture – But I was called to the North Western States Mission (Washington, Oregon and Idaho).

The two main challenges I was unprepared for was: #1. The politics of Missionary leadership callings.   #2. Dealing with immature missionaries that did not want to serve.  When I was asked how many missionaries were serving in my mission – my standard response was – about half of them.   The one great blessing of my mission were my exceptionally great (spiritual) companions.   My first companion spent his last few months of his mission training me.  He thought his mission was a failure because he could not memorize the discussions or the missionary scriptures.  He was a Native American and has been one of the greatest spiritual influences in my life.  He was raised on a reservation and did not learn English until he was converted.  Because he was raised in poverty and had a poor control of the language he was not spiritually respected in the mission.  I was so unprepared for this part of being a missionary but he and I connected and were blessed with a lot of baptisms – even for our particular mission.

Noting in my seminary or church experiences spiritually prepared me for my mission as much as serving in the military did.  Up until my mission I considered my military experience the most unspiritual experience of my life.  I think I can count on one hand the military individuals I encountered capable a uttering a single sentence without several 4 letter words directly opposed to anything and everything spiritual.  But my military experience turned out to be perhaps the single greatest spiritual preparation for my mission of my all life experiences.

My experience – regular study of scripture is only spiritual preparation if what is learned is applied when we are dealing with actual people – one on one - face to face.  The goal is not our individual spirituality – the goal of this life is the application of what we acquire through spiritual means to our daily life (physical) experiences.  Being experts in doctrine does not necessarily translate into spirituality.  I know I am not spiritually prepared - but never-the-less I would really like to get this last day thing over with.

The Traveler

@Traveler.  In regards to temporal preparedness.  I have many years of experience in the area of temporal preparedness.  My studies and research have convinced me that if you follow the standard church counsel on preparedness and then base it on surviving the aftermath of a catastrophic earthquake (whether you live in an earthquake zone or not), you will be temporally prepared for any physical disasters except pandemics/nuclear which require some extra things specific to those two events.