A geeky question

Hi everyone,

I am curious as to what everyone thinks about using video game emulators if you are playing old video games (Super Nintendo and Genesis) for which you already own physical cartridges.  So far I have refused to do it because I worry it would not make God happy, and I think everyone can agree that downloading video game ROMs for which you do not own the physical cartridge is dishonest.  But sometimes I look at my cell phone and shake my head, because i think it is not living up to its full video gaming potential (thanks to the fact the google play store is full of casual gaming shovelware).

So, what do you think?  Is emulatig cartridges that you already own morally OK?  Or do such thoughts come from the devil?  Should I be a real man and take up watching sports (something I just don't get the appeal of)?

Edited by DoctorLemon

7 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

So, what do you think?  Is emulatig cartridges that you already own morally OK? 

Yeah I don't see a problem with it

8 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Or do such thoughts come from the devil?  

Your joking right?

9 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Should I be a real man and take up watching sports (something I just don't get the appeal of)?

Yes you should be a real man.

4 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Half joking.  Temptation is temptation, and i find video game piracy to be very tempting...

Well you need to do what makes you feel comfortable, honestly for me emulating a video game from 1987 wouldn't bother me. Your mileage may vary and if it does not feel right to you you definitely should not do it.

Guest MormonGator
49 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Hi everyone,

So, what do you think?  Is emulatig cartridges that you already own morally OK?  Or do such thoughts come from the devil?  Should I be a real man and take up watching sports (something I just don't get the appeal of)?

Doc, seriously bro don't worry about being a "real man". You can like video games, art museums and other things things a "real man" wouldn't like and it's hardly an insult to your masculinity. I love sports but also love video games. I go to musicals too. Oh no. I can't change a tire and I despise camping and all other sorts of yucky manual labor-like chopping wood or something. Ewwwww!!! And oh yeah-I'm happily married to a woman who (thank GOD) also thinks that the overly macho guys are annoying. 

Only a fragile and insecure man would insult another mans masculinity because they don't have the same interests. 

As for the emulation-if you feel really guilty buy yourself a 3ds and download old school games that way.   

Edited by MormonGator

Well, Nintendo is rereleasing the NES with 40 games built into it. On the WII you can purchase games that have been ported (I imagine you can on the wii u as well)

Strictly speaking nintendo does mind when you steal their property and I think this is a very easy way to excuse dishonesty.

Even if you own the orginal cartridge you own one copy of the game (cartridge) not two (cartridge + rom).

I would encourage honesty, even when it's so easy to be dishonest.

Edited by jerome1232

Being a real man does not mean that you can't be cultured, if fact it's the opposite. Overly macho guys with something to prove are also not real men. A real man know hows to treat and respect women, can hold a real conversation about a variety of topics, is well read, and knows how to make others feel comfortable around him. 

@mormongator, you should learn how to change a tire, what if you get a flat and there is no cell service and your wife isn't with you

Edited by omegaseamaster75

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Being a real man does not mean that you can't be cultured, if fact it's the opposite. Overly macho guys with something to prove are also not real men. A real man know how to treat and respect women, can hold a real conversation about a variety of topics, is well read, and knows how to make others feel comfortable around him. 

@mormongator

Yup. We agree.

My issue is with the overly macho guys who make stupid comments towards guys who don't share traditional masculine interests. 

Guest MormonGator
12 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

lol, like football......;)

I get it, it's not for everyone

People are shocked that I can talk about football/boxing/baseball one minute-then musicals and the couples on 90 Day Fiancee next. At first, they are shocked. Than confused. Then they try (and almost always fail) to make some stupid gay joke. In my single days it was at that point when they realized that their girlfriend is talking to me instead of them. Never ended well for them after that. 

There are several schools of thought about video game emulation and old school software. There are also several classifications. The Supreme Court has ruled that it is okay to make copies of or use copies of media you already own. It is not piracy.

Many companies will protect their copyright on old games. Many will encourage you to download and play old games and don't care if you bought them. Other companies know that they're available and turn a blind eye to it.

Obviously if you only game you may play it on whatever platform you wish some companies have fought this but they have lost. If the company says you may play their intellectual property, it's not piracy, they've said you can do it. If they are willingly turning a blind eye to it, it would be a moral and legal gray area. Finally if they say "no you may not use our intellectual property in that manner" it would be morally ethically and legally wrong.

Some people like to make this a complicated subject, but it really is that simple.

Thank all of you for your advice.  I think, for now, i have decided to not mess with emulation.  Besides, maybe if I make this righteous choice, the Lord will inspire someone at Sega to port Streets of Rage 2 to android? ☺

On 10/12/2016 at 3:00 AM, DoctorLemon said:

Hi everyone,

I am curious as to what everyone thinks about using video game emulators if you are playing old video games (Super Nintendo and Genesis) for which you already own physical cartridges.  So far I have refused to do it because I worry it would not make God happy, and I think everyone can agree that downloading video game ROMs for which you do not own the physical cartridge is dishonest.  But sometimes I look at my cell phone and shake my head, because i think it is not living up to its full video gaming potential (thanks to the fact the google play store is full of casual gaming shovelware).

It seems to me as if the process of emulating cartridges has some similarities to taking a photo of a picture you already own and have hanging on your wall, and then putting the photo of the picture in a frame and hanging it in another wall in your home. I can't see too much wrong with doing that. 

I am right now building my own emulator system using Raspbery Pi.  If you want to feel comfortable legally, go and buy a cheap all in one emulator game.  There are a couple Atari ones for about $20 and some Nintendo ones too.  And legally if you own any of the games in any form, you can legally emulate it.  So, it's not only morally ok, it's legal.  So, if you purchased Ms. Pac Man on your phone, you can legally download the MAME emulator ROM for your PC.  

Edited by bytebear

On 10/11/2016 at 11:09 AM, Carborendum said:

I find kim chee to be very tempting.:P

Well you just keep that kim chee to yourself and away from my nose.  Last and only time I've smelled it I could still smell it in my nostrils 2 days later.  Nasty nasty stuff.