Paying for my mission

TilKingdomCome

Hey y'all. Some of you may remember me from the start of the year, when I first started investigating the church and had a lot of questions and struggles, which have since been answered. The church has completely helped change my life for the better, I'm no longer struggling with the stuff I used struggle with and I'm grateful for it everyday.

I talked with my bishop this week and, if all goes well, I'm due to start my mission in summer of next year. I have done a lot of preparation for it: helping teach with the missionaries every day (I've been called as one of the two ward missionaries), learning my scripture and adhering to the commandments. However, the one problem: money. I make 180 a week. The cost of a mission is around 8500. If I save every bit of money I have between now and then, I'll have at most 6000. The bishop says that the church pays for some of it, but currently there's only 2000 in the church funds and there are two other missionaries hoping to serve around the same time as me, and one other person who said he might be serving but seems to be having a change-of-heart atm. They've been in the church a lot longer than I have, and their families are members of the church, so it's likely that the funds will be used to help finance them instead, if there isn't enough to cover all of us.

One thing:

My family are okay with me going on a mission. However, they don't want to pay anything towards it because my mum's afraid that, in a few months, i'll change my mind and decide not to go. However, are we able to serve without paying the full price? As in, as long as we have it all paid before the end of our mission, is that okay? If I do go on my mission, then she'll know that I haven't changed my mind and I might be able to ask her to pay for the remainder of it over the two years, for my birthday and Christmas presents of those years, and I'll repay her when I get back.

Basically, does anyone have any advice on how to save for a mission and the best way of financing it, and the best way of asking my family to help? I hate asking anyone to help but, if I want to serve a mission as soon as this summer, I might need her input! Also, I've got some job interviews lined up, obviously if I get a job that will help with the costs!

I would be surprised if your non-member parents would agree to pay for any of it even if you had some iron clad agreement to keep you out there.  The fact that they're even considering it is saying a lot about their acceptance of your faith.

NO one is supposed to pay the "full price" at the beginning of the mission.  The reason is exactly what your parents have said.  And it isn't just about quitting.  What if you get into an accident or have some sickness in the middle and you have to come home?  The money already donated cannot be given back.

So, they always advise us to pay month-to-month.  That way, if anything happens, you've only lost a months worth of money at the most.

You need to pay for all your belongings (clothing, luggage, scriptures, etc) prior to leaving (obviously) because you're going to be taking it with you to the MTC.  If you're in a bike area, you usually buy that while on your mission.  Many missionaries can take hand-me-downs from a missionary leaving the field near the same time.  It varies from mission to mission.

How to finance a mission?  It is only $400 / mo -- I'm not sure what the Brits are required to pay.  I'm sure it is some round number close to that in pound equivalent.  You can earn that much money in less than a year if you apply yourself and save every penny.

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I would be surprised if your non-member parents would agree to pay for any of it even if you had some iron clad agreement to keep you out there.  The fact that they're even considering it is saying a lot about their acceptance of your faith.

They're not considering it, or at least I haven't asked them yet. It's just my hopeful wishing that maybe they will consider it at some stage. However, I did have a long, friendly talk with my mum about the mission yesterday. She seems to know that it would be a good experience for me and that I'd finally be able to do some good in the world!

NO one is supposed to pay the "full price" at the beginning of the mission.  The reason is exactly what your parents have said.  And it isn't just about quitting.  What if you get into an accident or have some sickness in the middle and you have to come home?  The money already donated cannot be given back.

So, they always advise us to pay month-to-month.  That way, if anything happens, you've only lost a months worth of money at the most.

Hmmm, probably not but is it at all possible to pay for some of it AFTER the two years are finished? The problem is that, while I'm away on my mission, I'll have no source of income back home so I won't be able to pay for it.

Or, if I save some of the "weekly allowance" that people get when they're on their mission, can I use that to pay for it? It's basically recycling the same money that came from the church missionary funds anyways, but that would be my money to spend so it would be still me paying for it.

You need to pay for all your belongings (clothing, luggage, scriptures, etc) prior to leaving (obviously) because you're going to be taking it with you to the MTC.  If you're in a bike area, you usually buy that while on your mission.  Many missionaries can take hand-me-downs from a missionary leaving the field near the same time.  It varies from mission to mission.

That's not a problem. I already have a suit, shirts, ties and shoes and some P-Day clothes. If I ever need to buy new ones while on my mission, I can use the weekly allowance to do that. And I already have a pocket-set of the scriptures.

How to finance a mission?  It is only $400 / mo -- I'm not sure what the Brits are required to pay.  I'm sure it is some round number close to that in pound equivalent.  You can earn that much money in less than a year if you apply yourself and save every penny

It's around 8,500 in my currency. At most, on my current income, I'll only be able to save 6,100. Thankfully that only leaves around 2,000 to be paid for, which I'm sure will be covered by either (a) the ward's missionary funds (b) my parents if they're willing and/or (c) my weekly income on my mission, if I'm allowed to pay using that.

2 hours ago, TilKingdomCome said:

It's around 8,500 in my currency. At most, on my current income, I'll only be able to save 6,100. Thankfully that only leaves around 2,000 to be paid for, which I'm sure will be covered by either (a) the ward's missionary funds (b) my parents if they're willing and/or (c) my weekly income on my mission, if I'm allowed to pay using that.

It seems like you already know what's up.  And why don't you just keep saving before you go on your mission?  What is the time crunch about?  Just because you CAN go at 18, doesn't mean you MUST go at 18.  And financial reasons are certainly a reason to wait for a bit.

It will always be better to be properly prepared than plan on being in debt.  If I received help from the ward's missionary funds, I'd consider it a bebt in my own mind.  Whatever they paid me that I couldn't save, I'd try my best to pay it back with interest as soon as possible.  If nothing else, this essentially creates a perpetual mission fund.

On 10/16/2016 at 8:00 AM, TilKingdomCome said:

Basically, does anyone have any advice on how to save for a mission and the best way of financing it, and the best way of asking my family to help? I hate asking anyone to help but, if I want to serve a mission as soon as this summer, I might need her input! Also, I've got some job interviews lined up, obviously if I get a job that will help with the costs!

I think that it is great that you want to serve and are willing to pay for your own mission. It will be a much more meaningful experience if you have some sweat equity invested in it. I will say this, do not let money be an obstacle to you going on a mission. Let's say you manage to save 6,100, and your short. The ward/stake will cover the difference.  If every missionary had to save on his own to go on a mission there would be very few missionaries in the field. 

I served in Mexico, All of my companions were from Mexico some of them very poor, I can assure you that the church picked up the tab on them so that they serve.

The church can be a bit inventive when paying for missionaries. I was approached to help pay for a missionary in my ward by my bishop. We were to have 4 families paying for one missionary, me representing one family. Funny story. The missionary was apparently not fully convinced and had not been told about our fund raising so the "prospective missionary" contacted me about entrance to a business school with which I have contacts. I had already made 3 payments towards his mission. I lost it. (I am not proud of this but I am Scottish..) and told him. What! You are not going to business school this year buddy. You are going on a mission! Bear in mind that I had already made 3 payments...okay. Not cool. Annnnyway..long story short, he went on a mission.but in the end was paid for by an uncle from Venezula. My payments were forwarded to Salt Lake.

But..what about crowd funding?

https://www.gofundme.com/lp/welcome-1?pc=3q_ba_Bing-Search-Alpha-Non-Brand-USA

Just a thought! Free advertising. Thinking outside the box!

Thanks guys. So, for clarification: missionaries ARE allowed to save part of the weekly income they get during their mission, and use that to pay back some funds, yeah? I mean, I realise that the church/stake might help but as Caborendum pointed out, I'll think of any money that I get from other people as a debt. The bishop's already told me that he might lend a hand, in which case I'm going to help him in several years when his children are old enough to go on a mission.

4 hours ago, Carborendum said:

And why don't you just keep saving before you go on your mission?  What is the time crunch about?  Just because you CAN go at 18, doesn't mean you MUST go at 18.  And financial reasons are certainly a reason to wait for a bit.

I'm 22 years old - I can't afford to wait any longer or I'll be the oldest guy in the mission field! (I got baptised at the start of this year, hence why I didn't go on a mission before now)

9 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

The church can be a bit inventive when paying for missionaries. I was approached to help pay for a missionary in my ward by my bishop. We were to have 4 families paying for one missionary, me representing one family. Funny story. The missionary was apparently not fully convinced and had not been told about our fund raising so the "prospective missionary" contacted me about entrance to a business school with which I have contacts. I had already made 3 payments towards his mission. I lost it. (I am not proud of this but I am Scottish..) and told him. What! You are not going to business school this year buddy. You are going on a mission! Bear in mind that I had already made 3 payments...okay. Not cool. Annnnyway..long story short, he went on a mission.but in the end was paid for by an uncle from Venezula. My payments were forwarded to Salt Lake.

But..what about crowd funding?

https://www.gofundme.com/lp/welcome-1?pc=3q_ba_Bing-Search-Alpha-Non-Brand-USA

Just a thought! Free advertising. Thinking outside the box!

Ouch. If I had been you in that situation and a missionary that I had already made payments for said "nope, I'm going off to college instead of serving a mission", I'd also probably lose it. It seems a little rude for him to ask you to help with payments only to turn around like that. Glad he went on his mission in the end though.

Hmmm, crowd funding sounds like a good idea but (a) I have no idea how I'd get people to actually find the page and (b) I'm not sure if the church would be okay with that. I'm guessing that, to have a successful crowd funding campaign, you need to show your face so the people paying know who you are - if the church doesn't like crowdfunding for missions, it might mean that I won't get called..

14 minutes ago, TilKingdomCome said:

Thanks guys. So, for clarification: missionaries ARE allowed to save part of the weekly income they get during their mission, and use that to pay back some funds, yeah? I mean, I realise that the church/stake might help but as Caborendum pointed out, I'll think of any money that I get from other people as a debt. The bishop's already told me that he might lend a hand, in which case I'm going to help him in several years when his children are old enough to go on a mission.

I'm 22 years old - I can't afford to wait any longer or I'll be the oldest guy in the mission field! (I got baptised at the start of this year, hence why I didn't go on a mission before now)

Ouch. If I had been you in that situation and a missionary that I had already made payments for said "nope, I'm going off to college instead of serving a mission", I'd also probably lose it. It seems a little rude for him to ask you to help with payments only to turn around like that. Glad he went on his mission in the end though.

Hmmm, crowd funding sounds like a good idea but (a) I have no idea how I'd get people to actually find the page and (b) I'm not sure if the church would be okay with that. I'm guessing that, to have a successful crowd funding campaign, you need to show your face so the people paying know who you are - if the church doesn't like crowdfunding for missions, it might mean that I won't get called..

As a former financial analyst, I like your thinking. Caution. good. Well, my attitude towards money from church, but I have never received any money so I can say this is, at some points in your life, you need money and you take it and at other points in your life, you give money. Works for me. 

By the way, the missionary never asked me for money. Did not know that I was paying. This was a deal worked out by the bishop. I have also helped pay for immigration fees. The person never knows who pays. The immigrant is now a member of my ward so I gained there! Every body in the seats is very useful in my ward!

Edited by Sunday21

47 minutes ago, TilKingdomCome said:

Thanks guys. So, for clarification: missionaries ARE allowed to save part of the weekly income they get during their mission, and use that to pay back some funds, yeah?

You are allowed to do anything you want to with the funds on your mission.  It is meant for your support during your mission.  I had some money left over at the end of my mission and I gave it to the mission home for any other missionary that might find themselves in financial straits during the course of their mission.

There is no rule that says you can't just send it to the ward missionary fund or the general missionary fund when you get home.  And, the fact is that there is no rule that says you can't use that small amount remaining for your living expenses when you get home.  Let's face it, it's not a lot of money.  If you're returning home to a country where that's a lot of money, I'd say you need it.  But that's between you and the Lord.

47 minutes ago, TilKingdomCome said:

I'm 22 years old - I can't afford to wait any longer or I'll be the oldest guy in the mission field! (I got baptised at the start of this year, hence why I didn't go on a mission before now).

There's nothing wrong with being the oldest guy in the mission.  One of the best missionaries I knew in my mission was 25 years old.  And I'm certain he had a lot of spiritual growth during the mission and had a tremendous life afterwards.  

You will need to make your own decision.  But base that decision on things that really matter -- things that the Lord wants you to consider.  I personally don't think it's such a bad thing to wait another 6 months to a year to make up the remaining funds.  But it's your choice.

51 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

The person never knows who pays.

Really? But what if person X decides to pay some money for person Y's mission? How is person Y going to be able to thank them?

12 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

You are allowed to do anything you want to with the funds on your mission.  It is meant for your support during your mission.  I had some money left over at the end of my mission and I gave it to the mission home for any other missionary that might find themselves in financial straits during the course of their mission.

There is no rule that says you can't just send it to the ward missionary fund or the general missionary fund when you get home.  And, the fact is that there is no rule that says you can't use that small amount remaining for your living expenses when you get home.  Let's face it, it's not a lot of money.  If you're returning home to a country where that's a lot of money, I'd say you need it.  But that's between you and the Lord.

There's nothing wrong with being the oldest guy in the mission.  One of the best missionaries I knew in my mission was 25 years old.  And I'm certain he had a lot of spiritual growth during the mission and had a tremendous life afterwards.  

You will need to make your own decision.  But base that decision on things that really matter -- things that the Lord wants you to consider.  I personally don't think it's such a bad thing to wait another 6 months to a year to make up the remaining funds.  But it's your choice.

Yeah, I know there's nothing wrong with being the oldest guy in the mission. However, basing the decision on things that really matter, I think that I'm ready to serve a mission. I go teaching with the missionaries every single day, and have been doing so since the start of this summer. I've learnt a lot from them, and I think I'm ready for whatever challenges the mission will throw at me. Yes, I could wait another 6 months but then it's a redundant waiting game. I've prayed about it a lot, and I honestly think that God wants me to serve a mission as soon as I can (in June, just after the one-year anniversary of my baptism. We can't serve before being in the church for a year)

Sunday21, took your advice and decided to make a GoFundMe. Not sure how successful it will be or not but worth a try :)

11 minutes ago, TilKingdomCome said:

Yes, I could wait another 6 months but then it's a redundant waiting game. I've prayed about it a lot, and I honestly think that God wants me to serve a mission as soon as I can (in June, just after the one-year anniversary of my baptism.

Wait, I thought you were in the UK.  Where do you live?  How much can a person make in a month for basic unskilled work where you live?

I was basing a lot of the time thing on the notion that you would be able to make approximately the same amount of money as my son (who's trying to go out by next July).  He just barely got a job a couple months ago.  He should have enough by Christmas to pay for his mission.  So, the remaining time is just so he can save for college and other living expenses after his mission.

Wouldn't it be wild if you two went to the same mission?

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Wait, I thought you were in the UK.  Where do you live?  How much can a person make in a month for basic unskilled work where you live?

I was basing a lot of the time thing on the notion that you would be able to make approximately the same amount of money as my son (who's trying to go out by next July).  He just barely got a job a couple months ago.  He should have enough by Christmas to pay for his mission.  So, the remaining time is just so he can save for college and other living expenses after his mission.

Wouldn't it be wild if you two went to the same mission?

I live in Ireland (so next to the UK). Not sure if I should say that on these forums (especially if someone I know uses these forums, it wouldn't take too long to figure out who I am, seeing as how I've mentioned my age, when I got baptised and when I'm serving a mission) but yeah, I'm Irish. For basic unskilled work we can make around €800 a month. However, I'm currently on jobseekers (looking for work) so I get €180 a week (so €720 a month). That said, I have a job interview on Thursday so, if that goes well, I'd be making the €800 per month. After my mission, I'm aiming to go to college at a BYU so I'll be able to make better money then.

Hopefully your son manages to go out by July. We get our callings before we leave so I'll still have access to the internet. When I get my calling, I'll tell you and we can check if me and your son are serving in the same mission XD

7 minutes ago, pam said:

Many times members are asked to assist with paying the costs of a missionary out in the field that doesn't have the money.  I've done this myself.  I've paid monthly towards the fund for a missionary to be out there.

How willing are members to do that though? And I come from a small ward (there's only like 50 active members). Not sure how much money that would raise. There's €2000 in the church's mission funds at the moment, but that's covering four missionaries (me and three others) who are all planning to go out around the same time. That said, I definitely won't let money be a deterrent from serving my mission. I'd still like to be prepared and know that everything's taken care off, hence why I'm asking :)

My understanding is that they can ask for money from Salt Lake City from the general missionary fund.

Potential missionaries are to ask family, friends and earn the money themselves first.  If enough can't be raised, then it comes from the ward or general missionary fund.  But it will become available.

4 minutes ago, pam said:

My understanding is that they can ask for money from Salt Lake City from the general missionary fund.

Really? Did not know that. Well, you're right - I'm probably worrying too much about this stuff. I should just relax, save as much money as I can and trust that - if the Lord wants me to serve a mission - things will work out fine :) 

5 minutes ago, TilKingdomCome said:

Really? Did not know that. Well, you're right - I'm probably worrying too much about this stuff. I should just relax, save as much money as I can and trust that - if the Lord wants me to serve a mission - things will work out fine :) 

I could be wrong but that is my understanding.  I can't imagine the Church is going to turn someone down who sincerely wants to go on a mission and is worthy to go because the local ward or branch doesn't have enough money in their missionary fund.  That would just go against all that I've been taught and believe in.

Really  you need to setup an appointment with your bishop and talk to him about this.

We can tell you all kinds of stuff about what can and has happened elsewhere...  But your Bishop is the one that can tell you what you need and what can be done for you and no other answers really matter

• pam featured this topic
4 hours ago, TilKingdomCome said:

Really? But what if person X decides to pay some money for person Y's mission? How is person Y going to be able to thank them?

Yeah, I know there's nothing wrong with being the oldest guy in the mission. However, basing the decision on things that really matter, I think that I'm ready to serve a mission. I go teaching with the missionaries every single day, and have been doing so since the start of this summer. I've learnt a lot from them, and I think I'm ready for whatever challenges the mission will throw at me. Yes, I could wait another 6 months but then it's a redundant waiting game. I've prayed about it a lot, and I honestly think that God wants me to serve a mission as soon as I can (in June, just after the one-year anniversary of my baptism. We can't serve before being in the church for a year)

Sunday21, took your advice and decided to make a GoFundMe. Not sure how successful it will be or not but worth a try :)

Great! Wish you all the best!

3 hours ago, TilKingdomCome said:

I live in Ireland (so next to the UK). Not sure if I should say that on these forums (especially if someone I know uses these forums, it wouldn't take too long to figure out who I am, seeing as how I've mentioned my age, when I got baptised and when I'm serving a mission) but yeah, I'm Irish. For basic unskilled work we can make around €800 a month. However, I'm currently on jobseekers (looking for work) so I get €180 a week (so €720 a month). That said, I have a job interview on Thursday so, if that goes well, I'd be making the €800 per month. After my mission, I'm aiming to go to college at a BYU so I'll be able to make better money then.

Hopefully your son manages to go out by July. We get our callings before we leave so I'll still have access to the internet. When I get my calling, I'll tell you and we can check if me and your son are serving in the same mission XD

How willing are members to do that though? And I come from a small ward (there's only like 50 active members). Not sure how much money that would raise. There's €2000 in the church's mission funds at the moment, but that's covering four missionaries (me and three others) who are all planning to go out around the same time. That said, I definitely won't let money be a deterrent from serving my mission. I'd still like to be prepared and know that everything's taken care off, hence why I'm asking :)

My ward is 50 adults. We can easily support a missionary. We would be happy to do so! 

Edited by Sunday21

On 10/17/2016 at 0:33 PM, pam said:

So like someone else said...don't let money be a deterrent to going on a mission.  The funds will be provided.

Yup.  

@TilKingdomCome

I have to apologize for pushing the "earn it yourself" mentality.  It was part of my upbringing.  One simply did not ask for anything from anyone -- especially money.  We always had to earn everything ourselves.  I realize that the Church is set up to try to help each other temporally as well as spiritually.  So, if my advice appeared to be condescending in any way with regard to your ability to earn it yourself, I apologize.

13 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Yup.  

@TilKingdomCome

I have to apologize for pushing the "earn it yourself" mentality.  It was part of my upbringing.  One simply did not ask for anything from anyone -- especially money.  We always had to earn everything ourselves.  I realize that the Church is set up to try to help each other temporally as well as spiritually.  So, if my advice appeared to be condescending in any way with regard to your ability to earn it yourself, I apologize.

Well it is important to try and earn as much of the money as possible.  I believe that is also part of the sacrifice you are making in serving the Lord.

HB1 outlines missionary financing. You should discuss this with your bishop. I will paraphrase since direct quotes are not allowed. It states more or less that worthy missionary candidates should not be prevented from serving based on financial reasons.

Your ward also has a ward missionary fund to which many individuals probably already donate. There may be enough money to cover your mission in that fund already.

There is a general mission to which your bishop can apply if necessary. Outlined in HB1 are requirements for application to this fund, you Bishop will submit a Supplemental Financial Assistance for Full-Time Missionary form. This will be submitted with your missionary recommendation form.

Bottom line save what you can and don't worry about the rest. 

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:00 AM, TilKingdomCome said:

Hey y'all. Some of you may remember me from the start of the year, when I first started investigating the church and had a lot of questions and struggles, which have since been answered. The church has completely helped change my life for the better, I'm no longer struggling with the stuff I used struggle with and I'm grateful for it everyday.

I talked with my bishop this week and, if all goes well, I'm due to start my mission in summer of next year. I have done a lot of preparation for it: helping teach with the missionaries every day (I've been called as one of the two ward missionaries), learning my scripture and adhering to the commandments. However, the one problem: money. I make 180 a week. The cost of a mission is around 8500. If I save every bit of money I have between now and then, I'll have at most 6000. The bishop says that the church pays for some of it, but currently there's only 2000 in the church funds and there are two other missionaries hoping to serve around the same time as me, and one other person who said he might be serving but seems to be having a change-of-heart atm. They've been in the church a lot longer than I have, and their families are members of the church, so it's likely that the funds will be used to help finance them instead, if there isn't enough to cover all of us.

One thing:

My family are okay with me going on a mission. However, they don't want to pay anything towards it because my mum's afraid that, in a few months, i'll change my mind and decide not to go. However, are we able to serve without paying the full price? As in, as long as we have it all paid before the end of our mission, is that okay? If I do go on my mission, then she'll know that I haven't changed my mind and I might be able to ask her to pay for the remainder of it over the two years, for my birthday and Christmas presents of those years, and I'll repay her when I get back.

I love your attitude, your sincerity, and pure intent. Almost brings me to tears.

All will work out for you to go on a mission. Don't worry.

-Finrock

Thanks guys. One final question, and it seems better to ask it here rather than creating a separate thread: the missionary handbook says that mishies have to shave every day. The thing is my facial hair's so dark that, even though I shave every day, I still have a lot of stubble left. Is this going to get me in trouble with the Mission President or is this rule not really that important?

• pam unfeatured this topic