The Unconventional Family: Four LDS Examples

A “Conventional Family” in the LDS church is one with stay-at-home mother and working father. As stated in The Family: A Proclamation to the World: "By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners." My husband and I talked about what we planned to do when we decide to start a family. Growing up, he expected to have his future wife stay home with the kids. So when we got married, he shared that once he establishes a job and we start a family, I will be staying home. However, I want to be able to work. I know I probably won't work when we start having kids. But I hope to work while my children are in school. Although this lifestyle is by far the most "normal" for LDS...

View the full article