Favorite Holiday?

pam

What's your favorite holiday?  Mirkwood is not allowed to answer as we already know.  

Mine is Thanksgiving.  I'm not sure why.  It's a lot of work for one meal, but there is just something about the smells and the food and the LEFTOVERS that makes it my favorite.

I don't have a favorite holiday per se, but I really love Boxing Day (day after Christmas). It's the day you can relax, eat leftovers and enjoy your gifts. Also, Boxing Day was the day my friend and I got together when we were teenagers (high-school) and sang Christmas carols for a couple hours - I love Christmas carols.

M.

My wife just told me something rather interesting.  The annual Trunk or Treat is the most attended event in any ward.  It is attended more than the ward Christmas party or Easter Sunday or 4th of July BBQ or breakfasts or any other church related event -- including general conference.

I can understand Christmas would be low because of people taking vacations. They want to spend time with family rather than go to a ward dinner. Easter Sunday is just a regular Sunday meeting.  4th of July people spend going camping and stuff.  But Halloween is a time when people don't go on vacation, don't go camping, but specifically stay in town and interact with anyone and everyone.

I personally hate Halloween.  I just never had a good experience with costumes.  But my kids!  HOH! my kids.  They are the most inventive and cutest kids on the planet.  And when they get to making their costumes -- whew!

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

They are the most inventive ... And when they get to making their costumes -- whew!

That is the coolest part of Halloween, when the kids show what costumes they have "made" themselves. One of my boys with the help of black and red duct tape & cardboard made himself blasters and a costume as Po Dameron from the last Star Wars movie. I was actually surprised at his creativity.

The previous year I waited too long and had to settle for a $20 piece of bacon costume. It was a hit, but I had to wear sun glasses because I couldn't look anyone in the eyes out of embarrassment - hah!

803231_zoom.jpg

My SIL gave birth to her son in early October, 20 years ago (time does fly). My hubby and his dad drove down to Springville, Utah to meet this new nephew and grandson. My hubby was quite amazed with all the Halloween decorations he saw already in that town. People went all out with decorations weeks before Halloween.

M.

Halloween!!!

It's the fall weather, the corn mazes, the colors, the decorations, the fun of trick-or-treating, the spooky stories, the scary movies, the harvest, the pumpkins... I love it all!

And since I'm awake at 2 in the morning, I think I'll put on a scary movie.

And regret it.

Edited by Backroads

Thanksgiving. Pam, it may be just one large meal, but it is also a gathering of family and friends. When I was a kid, it was several days of meal prep. Pie, cookies and of course the jello w/ vegetable or fruit salads. :P

It was also the after the feast, lingering over the desserts that the family picked names for the One Gift Christmas present. We each would put our name on a square of paper and three choices of a gift we would like. It had to be $5.00 or under. Then Daddy folded them all up and Grandma would draw the paper, look at the name to be sure we didn't get our own.

In our home, Thanksgiving was the only holiday where the Uncles and their wives did NOT drink alcohol and get drunk.All of us cousins played together in harmony. We all listened to my Mom tell stories about herself and her cousins living in South Dakota and their adventures.

Flash forward 30 years and Thanksgiving is just a *flash in the pan* holiday. It is treated as an opening act to Christmas when the stores fill the meat department with frozen turkeys, spiral hams and frozen cornish game hens. In protest one year, I had a friend of mine position wooden cut outs of a Pilgrim Thanksgiving scene on the roof of my 14 ft. wide x 60 ft long trailer house. We put it up on the 2nd of November and took it down the 23rd of December!! Wish I still had those cut outs still.

On 10/19/2016 at 10:15 AM, MormonGator said:

Easter. Every person dies but only one came back from the dead. 

Lazarus?

My favorite is Valentine's Day. The way I grew up celebrating it, it's about honoring all the different loves you have in your life - children, siblings, parents, grandparents, friends.

22 minutes ago, pam said:

Halloween is my least favorite holiday of the year.  I truly dislike it and can't wait for it to get over each year.  

It is ironic to see this post this morning.  Our ward did our Trunk or Treat early this year due to building scheduling.  I really enjoyed it this year.

We had a chili cook-off at the same time.  I made my famous 2-3-4-5 chili.  I didn't hear the results.  But I heard the judges saying good things about my chili.  I was pretty happy.  And my wife didn't make me dress up this year.  I went as a muggle.

My daughters costumes were spot on.  My Princess made a costume based on Age of Wushu.  The costume brought out the Asian side of her face.  It was amazing.  My Ladybug made her own Zita the Space Girl outfit.  She actually looks a lot like Zita.  And in the costume, she WAS Zita.:)

Edited by Guest

I think one of the things I enjoy about Thanksgiving is having my kids around.  And they usually help me with all of the preparations so we make it fun.  Even with all of the work cooking it still seems like a really nice relaxing day.  Which is good since one of my jobs is retail and the shopping season starts the next day.  I need relaxation when I can get it.

Here was a funny exchange at a family get-together for T-day.

SIL1: We have a recent convert couple in the ward that just moved into the area and don't know anyone.  I was wondering if we could invite them.  But I wanted to get a feel for how others felt about it.

SIL2: I think it would be fine in a smaller setting.  But when we have "guests" we would normally feel obligated to spend more time with them so they don't feel left out.  And that would get in the way of the family reunion.

Carb: Is there going to be plenty of food?

Mom: I agree.  I'd love to meet them and everything.  But we really do want this to be more about family.

Carb: And there's going to be plenty of food, right?

SIL1: That's a good point.  We'll try to get together with them at another time.

Carb: So, I'm going to get plenty of food, right?

SIL3: Carb, you're weird.

Mom: Yes, Carb.  There will be plenty of food.

Mrs. Carb: (to SIL3) He was just joking.

BIL3 (husband of SIL3): Anyone who didn't get that he was joking should be flogged.

Mrs. Carb: So, does that mean you're going to flog your wife?

Carb: Go ahead.  I'll eat her food if she doesn't want it.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, pam said:

Halloween is my least favorite holiday of the year.  I truly dislike it and can't wait for it to get over each year.  

Labor day is my least favorite holiday of the year.  I interpret it as a condescending snub by political and economic elites of those who have to work for a living.  I almost want to show up at work out of defiance on labor day.  Just saying...

As for my favorite holiday... Christmas, of course!  I go a little crazy with outdoor decorating... as in the lights dim on the street when i turn on my Christmas lights.  Then me and my daughter go out and look at christmas lights every coueple of days all December long, while indulging in non-alcoholic egg nog.  I love hanging out with family during Christmas, remembering Christ, and playing with whatever man-toys i happened to get that year (usually music, video games or books).  And then there are the Christmas movies - The Santa Clause with Tim Allen, A Christmas Story, and all that.

Yeah, I start getting excited for next Christmas in... February.

31 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Labor day is my least favorite holiday of the year.  I interpret it as a condescending snub by political and economic elites of those who have to work for a living.  I almost want to show up at work out of defiance on labor day.  Just saying...

Actually there is a holiday worse than Labor Day... Black Friday, which i believe has evolved from being a busy shopping day to a mass display of unrighteousness in recent years.

Edited by DoctorLemon

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

You soooooo didn't just mention that holiday before October 31st....oooooooo.....you........

Mirk, you've always been sort of a hearts and flowers kind of guy. Halloween is much, much too dark for you.