RIP Jack Chick

unixknight

I'm bummed about this.

I mean yeah, his tracts attacked prettymuch everybody, and some of the information in them was just false, but the guy meant well and was trying to help.  

I'm also sad there won't be any more Chick Tracts.  Some of those were absolutely hilarious, like Dark Dungeons, which was turned into a movie!

The guy was a bit of a mystery and a recluse I understand - few people ever met him. All I know is he really didn't like Mormons, Catholics, Freemasons, Marianity, Harry Potter, Charles Darwin, quantum field theory (the strong nuclear force according to Jack Chick is "Jesus") or any Bible translation other than the King James. But I agree he probably meant well.

It's curious how he raised the ire not only of atheists and liberal Christians, but also conservative Christians of a different bent. For example, I remember reading something by a Calvinist who lambasted Chick for suggesting that potential converts need to "be willing to accept Christ". This he considered to be extreme heresy!

Edited by Jamie123

5 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

@unixknight  I can recommend a good oral surgeon...'cause if your tongue sticks any further out your cheek, me thinks you're going to need him.  :cool:

LOL

Actually I was being sincere.  I think Chick was far too aggressive in his criticisms of prettymuch any group we can name, but I think he honestly meant well and he certainly had a unique approach, and I admire that.

The Dark Dungeons movie, for those who haven't heard of it, is an adaptation of the Dark Dungeons tract, which is very popular among gamers because we find it so silly.  The movie is definitely a sort of tongue-in-cheek effort that plays it straight because the story itself is plenty silly enough on its own.  It was made with the permission of Mr. Chick but I think maybe he wasn't aware that the film makers were kind of making a fool of him.

50 minutes ago, unixknight said:

I think Chick was far too aggressive in his criticisms of prettymuch any group we can name, but I think he honestly meant well and he certainly had a unique approach, and I admire that.

One could say the same about the drunk propped up against a dumpster screaming "repent" at women in skirts he deems too short.

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, NightSG said:

One could say the same about the drunk propped up against a dumpster screaming "repent" at women in skirts he deems too short.

How did you figure out how I spend my Saturday nights?! WHO TOLD YOU?!!?!?!!?! 

Guest MormonGator
15 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Pretty obvious when you turn up all hoarse the morning after I tear gassed the parking lot to quiet things down.

Dude you are so out of my circle of trust. 

Jack Chick was a sincere guy with his heart in the right place. No one is perfect (except Jesus, obviously), but he will be missed. His tracts will still be used and he can continue to touch peoples' lives through these tracts even though he has passed on. That is something I know I can reach for in what is left of my life, leaving behind a legacy that touches peoples lives even after I die. That's a good goal.

Edited by Larry Cotrell

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Larry Cotrell said:

Jack Chick was a sincere guy with his heart in the right place.

You know what they say about good intentions, right? His comics scared me to death when I was a kid and I found one on a pay phone.  I couldn't sleep for months afterwards. Very hard for me to have sympathy for him. 

10 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

You know what they say about good intentions, right? His comics scared me to death when I was a kid and I found one on a pay phone.  I couldn't sleep for months afterwards. Very hard for me to have sympathy for him. 

He's spreading the gospel. That's enough for me :thumbsup:

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Larry Cotrell said:

He's spreading the gospel. That's enough for me :thumbsup:

In reality, he was the Westboro Baptist Church of his time. Did far more damage to the cause. 

13 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

In reality, he was the Westboro Baptist Church of his time. Did far more damage to the cause. 

I guess this comes down to our different religious opinions. One thing I appreciate is that he took on the false teachings of different major religious groups including Islam, Catholicism, Jehovah's Witness, I won't complete the list because it includes one that might rhyme with shlormonism. I get tired of people being afraid to speak the truth because they think they will offend someone. This guy was bold and wasn't afraid of being politically correct because he thought that it was more important to speak truth. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Edited by Larry Cotrell

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Larry Cotrell said:

I guess this comes down to our different religious opinions

Not really. I know of people who agreed with Chick that thought his delivery was awful. If an LDS dude started acting like Chick did, I'd do whatever possible to shoot it down too. So no, it hasn't nothing to do with our different religious opinions. 

Guest MormonGator
13 minutes ago, Larry Cotrell said:

Sometimes people need to be told that they're going to hell unless they turn to God. If you've ever heard Johnathon Edward's Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God, it's powerful. Is it nice? No, but some people need to hear it.

No, I don't know how to read. I've never read anything from that time period. Cotton Mather, Anne Hutchinson (true, she was a hundred years before Edwards) -other preachers of that time. Nope, I know nothing about them. Nothing at all. Nothing about the Great Awakening time period or his other famous sermon, Justice of God, etc. 

Edited by MormonGator

25 minutes ago, Larry Cotrell said:

Sometimes people need to be told that they're going to hell unless they turn to God. 

Yeah, but see, saying Catholics and Mormons are going to hell because they're not the right type of Christian, is the height of unrighteous judgment.  Humans aren't equipped to know the eternal destiny of a soul.  Jeez - even Jesus Christ Himself didn't go that far in his earthly ministry.  

And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.  He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

(Hint: The "one that judgeth him" wasn't Jack Chick.)

Edited by NeuroTypical

17 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

No, I don't know how to read. I've never read anything from that time period. Cotton Mather, Anne Hutchinson (true, she was a hundred years before Edwards) -other preachers of that time. Nope, I know nothing about them. Nothing at all. Nothing about the Great Awakening time period or his other famous sermon, Justice of God, etc. 

I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just trying to use his sermon as an example. 

10 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yeah, but see, saying Catholics and Mormons are going to hell because they're not the right type of Christian, is the height of unrighteous judgment.  Humans aren't equipped to know the eternal destiny of a soul.  Jeez - even Jesus Christ Himself didn't go that far in his earthly ministry.  

There is a difference between saying "all Catholics are going to hell" and saying "those of you who think you can pay off your own sins in purgatory are going to hell." Telling someone that they're going to hell is a very loving thing to do. Obviously, as you point out, we should not judge people (Matthew 7:1-2 "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.") Matthew 7 also says "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." 

It's not about the "right type of Christian," it's about fully accepting his truths. Obviously both of us think we are the "true Christian," but some religions leave out, twist, or add to essential truths. It doesn't matter what church you go to, it matters what you believe in your heart. Questions like who is Jesus? Is his death sufficient for your sins? etc., are the key pieces. No one can say "all Catholics are going to hell" but someone can say "This doctrine is of pagan origin and here's how" or "Jesus was enough to pay for your sins, if you don't believe that, you're going to hell because you are turning to something else for salvation."

6 hours ago, MormonGator said:

How did you figure out how I spend my Saturday nights?! WHO TOLD YOU?!!?!?!!?! 

Come on Gator, do you really believe that all of us on this forum don't know what your'e really like, and all the other kind of things you get up to? I'm sorry to break the news to you but I think you must be living in false hope my friend. Remember, its a small world and people gossip about what they see. ;)

Guest MormonGator
23 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

. Remember, its a small world and people gossip about what they see. ;)

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."-Oscar Wilde 

2 hours ago, Larry Cotrell said:

I guess this comes down to our different religious opinions. One thing I appreciate is that he took on the false teachings of different major religious groups including Islam, Catholicism, Jehovah's Witness, I won't complete the list because it includes one that might rhyme with shlormonism. I get tired of people being afraid to speak the truth because they think they will offend someone. This guy was bold and wasn't afraid of being politically correct because he thought that it was more important to speak truth. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Are you saying that you think Mormonism is a false church or teaches false doctrine?