RIP Jack Chick

unixknight

17 hours ago, cdowis said:

It's Joseph Smith as leader of the Nauvoo Legion.

People have fits because [1] it shows him as a military leader and [2] it shows him wearing a rather gaudy uniform. 

Thing is, 

[1] The town's charter did, indeed, allow for a militia of its own in response to the violence of Missouri; Illinois allowed it so that the horrors could never happen again. 

[2] In the days before modern command & control systems were implemented, the two main means for officers to control their soldiers was "sight" and "sound". As part of the "sight" method, officers did, indeed, frequently wear gaudy outfits so that their men could recognize them under battlefield conditions; unfortunately, it also allowed enemy snipers to recognize them, which is part of why that method faded away. 

Whenever someone harps on this issue, then, it merely tells me that their knowledge of history is sorely lacking. 

I recently saw an article that said the early Mormons were counterfeiting money.  I think they meant the failed Kirtland Safety Society.  Historically, the notion of a community creating a bank and issuing currency was very common.  It's just not today.   So, I agree that people use a lack of historical knowledge, and a deceiving narrative that takes advantage of that ignorance.

12 hours ago, Ironhold said:

People have fits because [1] it shows him as a military leader and [2] it shows him wearing a rather gaudy uniform. 

...and [3] he looks like he's about to have a brain hemorrhage. The first two may be historical, but the latter I suspect is artistic license.

As for "gaudy uniforms" Nelson's was way better:

HoratioNelson1.jpg

9 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

As for "gaudy uniforms" Nelson's was way better:

According to a biography I read, George Armstrong Custer also apparently got a kick out of looking his best before leading his men into battle.  Before the days of military standard issue uniforms, when soldiers had to arrange their own uniforms, I guess it was a point of pride. 

dlme.jpg

On October 25, 2016 at 7:25 AM, unixknight said:

I'm bummed about this.

I mean yeah, his tracts attacked prettymuch everybody, and some of the information in them was just false, but the guy meant well and was trying to help.  

I'm also sad there won't be any more Chick Tracts.  Some of those were absolutely hilarious, like Dark Dungeons, which was turned into a movie!

Mostly sad because of the latter....

<.<

>.>

On October 27, 2016 at 0:49 PM, Ironhold said:

Thing is, 

[1] The town's charter did, indeed, allow for a militia of its own in response to the violence of Missouri; Illinois allowed it so that the horrors could never happen again. 

[2] In the days before modern command & control systems were implemented, the two main means for officers to control their soldiers was "sight" and "sound". As part of the "sight" method, officers did, indeed, frequently wear gaudy outfits so that their men could recognize them under battlefield conditions; unfortunately, it also allowed enemy snipers to recognize them, which is part of why that method faded away. 

Whenever someone harps on this issue, then, it merely tells me that their knowledge of history is sorely lacking. 

Whats funny is that in the BoM JS taught some good guerrilla warfare strategies, and how also to royally screw those up....... And seems to have forgotten those lessons when he was leading the nauvoo militia.

On 10/27/2016 at 9:44 PM, bytebear said:

I recently saw an article that said the early Mormons were counterfeiting money.  I think they meant the failed Kirtland Safety Society.  Historically, the notion of a community creating a bank and issuing currency was very common.  It's just not today.   So, I agree that people use a lack of historical knowledge, and a deceiving narrative that takes advantage of that ignorance.

As I recall there were indeed counterfeiting operations being run in Nauvoo by the waterfront, though no one has ever established Smith's knowledge or complicity in the matter.

10 hours ago, Blackmarch said:

Whats funny is that in the BoM JS taught some good guerrilla warfare strategies, and how also to royally screw those up....... And seems to have forgotten those lessons when he was leading the nauvoo militia.

I'm confused - how did JS teach something by translating the Book of Mormon?

As I mentioned in my conversion story in an earlier thread below, at age 11 I found one of those Chick Publications tracts on the school bus.  It was the one about the Apocalypse, with all the dragons and stuff from Revelation, Daniel, and Ezekiel.  I took it home and looked up some of the references in the Bible.  It was scary for a kid because I didn't understand any of the symbolism.  Nevertheless, it sparked an interest in Bible prophecy and revelation that persists to this day.  I'm sure he'd be upset that his pamphlet was one of the things that prepared me for conversion to Mormonism!

)