I recently had a daughter and ever since have been thinking about donating my eggs to help others conceive for many of my own reasons. I understand the churches stance on egg donation, but one thing I have not been able to find is information about sealing in this case. My husband, daughter, and I plan on being sealed soon, but what happens if the eggs I donate end up becoming full term pregnancies and end in a successful birth? Genetically these children would be related to me. So my question is, would these children end up also being sealed to me since they are technically mine? I plan on speaking with my bishop Sunday, but wanted thoughts first. I am for sure about donating, except for my question about being sealed. 

It seems to me that the lines of sealings do not necessarily follow along genetic lines. Cases of adoption might be the most obvious examples where non-biological children are routinely sealed to non-biological parents. I expect that, especially for medical history reason, it is valuable to note when a child is adopted (or otherwise non-biological) with information -- if available -- about biological parents. It seems, however, that the Church is more concerned with actual, lived family experience for determining who should be sealed to whom and not mere genetics.

39 minutes ago, nikelle44 said:

I recently had a daughter and ever since have been thinking about donating my eggs to help others conceive for many of my own reasons. I understand the churches stance on egg donation, but one thing I have not been able to find is information about sealing in this case. My husband, daughter, and I plan on being sealed soon, but what happens if the eggs I donate end up becoming full term pregnancies and end in a successful birth? Genetically these children would be related to me. So my question is, would these children end up also being sealed to me since they are technically mine? I plan on speaking with my bishop Sunday, but wanted thoughts first. I am for sure about donating, except for my question about being sealed. 

You cannot be sealed to your biological child that was conceived because you donated your egg.  That child will not be a part of your temporal family or your eternal family. Once you have donated your egg you have given that right away. Now this is all my personal opinion.

What exactly is your understanding of the church's position on egg donation? 

49 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

You cannot be sealed to your biological child that was conceived because you donated your egg.  That child will not be a part of your temporal family or your eternal family. Once you have donated your egg you have given that right away. Now this is all my personal opinion.

What exactly is your understanding of the church's position on egg donation? 

What about sperm donation? I'm the result of a sperm donor and so is my brother.

1 hour ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

What about it? You can be sealed to your temporal mom and dad, not the sperm donor. 

As a side note sperm donation is strongly discouraged, but not forbidden.

How can it be discouraged if my brother and I wouldn't be here in our family without it.

9 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

How can it be discouraged if my brother and I wouldn't be here in our family without it.

discourage
[dih-skur-ij, -skuhr-] 
Spell  Syllables
Synonyms Examples Word Origin
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
verb (used with object), discouraged, discouraging.
to deprive of courage, hope, or confidence; dishearten; dispirit.
to dissuade (usually followed by from).
to obstruct by opposition or difficulty; hinder:
Low prices discourage industry.
to express or make clear disapproval of; frown upon:

1 hour ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

What about it? You can be sealed to your temporal mom and dad, not the sperm donor. 

As a side note sperm donation is strongly discouraged, but not forbidden.

Discouraged does not equal forbidden you do see the difference don't you?

11 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Aside from my previous post, at this point who cares? the water has passed under the bridge and you have your brother and your parents have their children. 

15 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

And if you were the result of a one-night-stand, would you be asking the same thing?

Edited by Guest

On October 25, 2016 at 0:23 PM, nikelle44 said:

i dont think that would be a problem sealing wise. There might be other issues however, so that is something to ask ones bishop about.