Lou Dobbs and the Mormon Mafia

So, I've found out that apparently, Lou Dobbs doesn't like the fact that Mormons, by and large, seem to hate Trump.  Wonder of wonders.  So, he called us the Mormon Mafia.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lou-dobbs-mormon-mafia-evan-mcmullin-2016-10

Twitter fired up in response:

Don't anger the #MormonMafia. They don't give a gosh darn.

If you're not careful Mormon Mafia will break into your house ---- fold the laundry and do the dishes

“Never take sides against the Tabernacle Choir again.”

"I had the wildest time at that Milk Speakeasy run by the #MormonMafia.”

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

The MormonMafia is real.

Just try to tell a member of the #MormonMafia that you’re not interested in family board game night. See what happens.

That @LouDobbs exposed us. Time to pay him a visit. Maybe bring a nice bundt cake

missionary.jpg

i got in pretty deep with the #mormonmafia a while back

10most.jpg

10 MOST WANTED. #MormonMafia

Cvv3s-8UMAANE4r.jpg:large

Not only is there a #MormonMafia, they have biker gangs running the streets

goodmor.jpg

I swear, the farther we go into this, the more the supposed Boys from the Mountain prophecy seems to be real.

Edited by Guest

LOVE those.

I didn't read the article because it whines about my ad blocker but I get the gist.  Tell me if I'm right:

Dobbs supports the worst candidate ever chosen by the Republican party, a lot of Mormons won't jump on board with him, and now the "#MormonMafia" is to blame for the Republican party's bad choice should Clinton win...

Is that about right?

• pam featured this topic

The MormonMafia will shoot you and frame your friends... into the perfect scrapbook.

Nice Jell-o mold.  Would be a pity if something happened to it.

I'm gonna make you a bowl of chili you can't refuse.

The MormonMafia is a basket of adorables.

I know it was you... You mowed my lawn, you little scamp.

Keep mocking the MormonMafia and you'll wake up in the morning next to... a basket of muffins.

The MormonMafia will cut you... a piece of pie they just baked.

The MormonMafia is so secretive that they send out 60,000 people each year to tell you all about it.

The MormonMafia will give you fresh baked cookies until you gain 20 lbs.  They're that sinister.

3 hours ago, Anddenex said:

My favorite one from the LDS.net articles is, "They don't call them funeral potatoes for nothing." LOL

That made me wonder if their article came first or if my thread came first.

I know a lot of you think the propaganda of a Mormon Mafia is a joke.  In the early 70’s I had a property manage business that was putting me and several others through college.  I became aware of the mythical Mormon Mafia because one of the properties I was managing was associated with the Howard Hughes organization.   The Hughes organization utilized a lot LDS folks at the top of the organization.  I believe it was Esquire Mag that published an article about “The Mormon Mafia” in the Hughes organization and started a media frenzy about Mormons in prominent places.  

This was not so long after the LDS’s first attempt to expand public relations that began at the New York’s World Fair in the 60’s when the church sponsored their own visitor’s center.  This was the beginning of the church increases in member ship that at the time was under 2 million members (mostly in Utah).  It was also the beginning of the anti-Mormon propaganda blitz.   There were wild claims that the Mormon Mafia had penetrated both political parties, a number of major American Corps and several government agencies (CIA, FBI and the State Department).

Five years after selling off my business, leaving collage and going to work US State department the whole Mormon Mafia thing caught up with me personally.  It started with an IRS audit that was connected with the Justice Department.  I was in serious trouble for alleged income tax evasion when my little business in college was connected to the Hughes organization and now I was working for the Defense department.  The problems all this caused me (even at work) at the time was unbelievable even though the IRS investigation ended up with them owing me money and I was – or at least I think I was vindicated of any wrong doing – even though I have never been given any results only that there would not be changes for income tax or anything else.  It is interesting because I was also investigated at the time for miss use of classified material.   

The bottom line is that the accusation of a Mormon Mafia is no joke and is code for elements of our society that will use this for insanely evil purposes.  

The Traveler

7 minutes ago, Traveler said:

The bottom line is that the accusation of a Mormon Mafia is no joke and is code for elements of our society that will use this for insanely evil purposes.  

The jocular response is an appropriate one in today's world.

On 10/27/2016 at 4:03 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

And these guys:

satan.jpg

They're a couple of pretty bad dudes.  Or "bad hombres", if you prefer . . .

The Devil you say!

I wonder how many of today's young'ns recognize these guys.  I remember the one on the left also played John Hancock in  A More Perfect Union.

Edited by Guest

23 hours ago, Carborendum said:

The jocular response is an appropriate one in today's world.

Perhaps in this format - but I am quite sure that Lou Dobbs reference and concern has nothing what-so-ever to do with the responses in this thread.  My experience with life - if you ignore misunderstandings or do not try to understand the root of such things, they will not just go away - rather they will only get worse.

The Traveler

17 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Perhaps in this format - but I am quite sure that Lou Dobbs reference and concern has nothing what-so-ever to do with the responses in this thread.  My experience with life - if you ignore misunderstandings or do not try to understand the root of such things, they will not just go away - rather they will only get worse.

The Traveler

I believe you greatly underestimate those who responded in this manner.  Ask yourself, how would you have us respond?  Fear? Anger? Indignation? Demands for apology? (Like we'd ever get one that would even be sincere).

1) We ARE VERY MUCH AWARE of what is going on.  We're aware that the government is going to be used as a weapon against us just as it has in times past.
2) To respond to this rant with fear or anger would be not only ineffective but counterproductive.
3) This current response not only belittles Lou Dobbs' comment and all those who have similar sentiments, but it shows the world that we have class and confidence.

So, again I ask, how would you have a people of faith to respond?  I'd say that we keep going forth in faith and do what we're always supposed to do.

Persecutions may rage... calumny may defame.  But the truth of God will go forth...

And it won't hurt to make sure we've got our powder dry.  I do and I'm sure many others here do as well.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

As I recall, he played Alexander Hamilton. 

Oh!  You're correct.  I keep thinking that Heston played Hamilton.  But he played that other guy.  I can never remember who he was.  Heston played the representative who submitted the slavery compromise.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I believe you greatly underestimate those who responded in this manner.  Ask yourself, how would you have us respond?  Fear? Anger? Indignation? Demands for apology? (Like we'd ever get one that would even be sincere).

1) We ARE VERY MUCH AWARE that the world is out to get us.  We're aware that the government is going to be used as a weapon against us just as it has in times past.
2) To respond to this rant with fear or anger would be not only ineffective but counterproductive.
3) This current response not only belittles Lou Dobbs' comment and all those who have similar sentiments, but it shows the world that we have class and confidence.

So, again I ask, how would you have a people of faith to respond?  I'd say that we keep going forth in faith and do what we're always supposed to do.

And it won't hurt to make sure we've got our powder dry.  I do and I'm sure many others here do as well.

I think if someone is going to respond - it should be with knowledge, understanding and truth.  If those elements are not useful - I am not sure any response is more appropriate.  It is my experience that to make light of something someone is serious about – is seldom helpful.

The Traveler

6 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I think if someone is going to respond - it should be with knowledge, understanding and truth.  If those elements are not useful - I am not sure any response is more appropriate.  It is my experience that to make light of something someone is serious about – is seldom helpful.

The Traveler

And how does this vein of responses not qualify as exemplifying knowledge, understanding, and truth?  Sometimes irony and humor are the most effective method of teaching truth.

Edited by Guest

Life got simpler for me when I understood the following:

Light-minded: Demonstrating a lack of serious purpose.  Mocking the sacred things of God.  Big no-no.
Light-hearted: Taking a cheerfully optimistic, carefree, good-natured, merry look at our human condition.  A way we can be as little children.

Folks can say the exact same thing, in the same way, and it could be either.  It depends on where that person's internal compass is pointed, and the way we receive these things says something about where ours is pointed.   There's irony and humor, and biting irony and dark humor, yes?

23 hours ago, Traveler said:

I became aware of the mythical Mormon Mafia because one of the properties I was managing was associated with the Howard Hughes organization.   The Hughes organization utilized a lot LDS folks at the top of the organization.  I believe it was Esquire Mag that published an article about “The Mormon Mafia” in the Hughes organization and started a media frenzy about Mormons in prominent places.  

I read a bio of Hughes.  The guy was the picture of undiagnosed and untreated mental illness that exploded out of control at the end.  He would hoard/collect/control things and people as well.  Some of the people he'd hoard, were young sexy starlets of a certain body type and hair color.  He'd go find them, and lock them into contracts where he basically owned their careers.  The biographers made a case that Hughes preferred and trusted Mormons because of our notions of chastity and honesty - a Mormon wouldn't go around messing with "his" girls and stuff like everyone else did. 

According to this bio, apparently some of his most trusted advisors ended up getting out of control with their caregiver activities, and medicated the crap out of him to control him.  Yeah, the fact that some/most of them were LDS I'm sure fueled all the conspiracies and frenzies and whatnot. 

23 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I read a bio of Hughes.  The guy was the picture of undiagnosed and untreated mental illness that exploded out of control at the end.  He would hoard/collect/control things and people as well.  Some of the people he'd hoard, were young sexy starlets of a certain body type and hair color.  He'd go find them, and lock them into contracts where he basically owned their careers.  The biographers made a case that Hughes preferred and trusted Mormons because of our notions of chastity and honesty - a Mormon wouldn't go around messing with "his" girls and stuff like everyone else did. 

According to this bio, apparently some of his most trusted advisors ended up getting out of control with their caregiver activities, and medicated the crap out of him to control him.  Yeah, the fact that some/most of them were LDS I'm sure fueled all the conspiracies and frenzies and whatnot. 

Just thought I would respond a little here.  I worked for a time for the Anti-Submarine Warfare division of the Defense department.  There was a novel written titled “Hunt for Red October” that was written during this time of my life.  This novel interestingly is borderline violations of misuse of classified information.  The Russians did lose (sunk accidently?) a secret nuclear submarine.  Part of the official line that was covered in the news services was that Mr. Hughes had a research vessel in the vicinity at the time that attempted to help the Russians find and recover nuclear warheads from the sub.  The effort was supposedly fruitless.

There were published “rumors” that Mr. Hughes’s research vessel was cover for the CIA that was working in concert with the government Defense department.   A side note for those of you that are not aware – Social Security funds are used by the Government to fund classified operations – including the development and purchase of equipment and these expenditures are not subject to the Truth of Information Act nor congressional oversite.  In short there are things going on inside of government that are kept “secret” from very informed sources inside our government.

There are some individuals – that should know better – that think that the whole incident with the lost Russian sub was a cover-up of a very secret Mormon entity getting control of nuclear weapons.  The problem is that providing information to prove Mormons do not have a nuclear weapon would violate security protocol – so the partly informed is free to make any accusation they wish and there is not much anyone can do about it.  I sometimes wonder if some obviously absurd accusations of Mormons or deep space aliens or such things are not deliberate rumors by those that know the truth.

The Traveler

Wow - this is further away from any bell curve that I expected to be today.  Interesting stuff, Traveller.   And here I thought all the 'Mormon reptilian shapeshifter' stuff was explained by plain old schizophrenia and child sex abuse trauma.  

Tom Clancy also ended one of his books with someone hijacking a plane and flying it into the capitol building years before 9/11, if I remember correctly.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Has anyone ever read the Sherlock Holmes story, "A study in scarlett"? This accuses mormons of some outrageous things. I also read a supposidly "true" biography from the same period of time, that claimed mormon women were downtrodden and frightened and...wearing boring high necked gray dresses. Sound familiar? I notice female missionaries are now asked to wear more vivid colors!

I keep telling people that mormons are really not organized enough to have a mafia! I can't even get people to read the class manual!

• pam unfeatured this topic