Pastors Giving Up Shows the Importance of a Lay Clergy

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

That doesn't change the fact that there were three pages worth of listings in Phoenix.

Um, duh.  It's Phoenix.

That's like looking for Catholics in Mexico City and expecting it to be hard because you're not in Rome.

35 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

And hefty were the fees to call great distances, yea, farther than man can walk in a single day.

My neighbors in 1993 were long distance from my house.  We'd make a person-to-person collect call, then the answering party would refuse the charge, walk outside and talk over the fence.

20 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Um, duh.  It's Phoenix.

That's like looking for Catholics in Mexico City and expecting it to be hard because you're not in Rome.

My neighbors in 1993 were long distance from my house.  We'd make a person-to-person collect call, then the answering party would refuse the charge, walk outside and talk over the fence.

Night, look, you're now just arguing about phones rather than the original point.  You seem to be at a point where you're no longer arguing the original point anymore, but are arguing something that I have no disagreement with.  Why are you doing this?

45 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Now behold, I share with you ancient knowledge.  In days of yore, in the day when music was sold on formed, etched plastic discs known as reck - chords, a major method of disseminating information was known as "books".  Such "phone books" were often tied to devices known as "pay phones".

Yea, verily, perilous were those days when the children of men were tethered to communications which were immobile.  And hefty were the fees to call great distances, yea, farther than man can walk in a single day.

But behold, there came the gift of technology known as "the brick", and heavy was the weight thereof.  And the hardness was great.  Yea, great enough to hurt the toe of a man should he drop it.  And the brick was great in expense.  Yea, even greater than the calls of great distance.

So, the gods of Motorola and the gods of AT&T convened in a great council in the halls of science and business and provided to the public "miniturization".  And the weight and size were no more and from that corporophany was birthed the "flip-phone".  And great was it's popularity and similarity to Star Trek.  And so too was the greatness of their profits.

Then came the new god Sprint.  And Sprint did throw a wrench in their works and offered the flat rate phone.  And later gods did offer free roaming and free long distance and unlimited minutes.  And great was the rejoicing thereof.

And surely there was never a happier people among all the people that ever lived upon the face of the earth.

And it came to pass that as the bricks decreased in size, the phone books ceased to exist. And much affliction came over the people as they began to rely increasingly on their bricks. 

10 years ago when I came to this town. The Lds church was not listed in any phone book or on the internet or in the newspaper. How did I find the church? I called someone in a nearby town who was a mormon who gave me a nearby intersection, not the address. I drove around. I saw in a parking lot a very tired man in a white shirt wrestling two boys out of a car. I knew that I had found home. I told the bishop how hard it was to find the church, he said "I know".