Need a quick answer to a dumb question

Newbutoldmember

STUPID QUESTION SORRY

So my Stake President called and said a member of the 70 wants to come by tomorrow morning to meet my family. He does not live in our state. My wife already has plans to attend the time out for women event event downtown. Do you think it is expected she not attend the event so she can meet the Member of the 70? A person we know bought her ticket who wanted a friend to attend with and I think it will be uplifting for my wife to go since she has gone through a lot lately with my health issues.

Of course if someone called and said the Church President, or an Apostle etc wanted to meet one would cancel without second thought. I would walk to Utah if needed. How far down does that extend? I of course will still be meeting with him tomorrow in any case and feel honored and blessed to do so.

I just want to do the right and expected thing

Edited by Newbutoldmember

18 minutes ago, Newbutoldmember said:

A person we know bought her ticket who wanted a friend to attend with and I think it will be uplifting for my wife to go . . .

I don't quite understand this part of your post.  Can you re-phrase?

Speaking generically--I'd probably just tell the SP the situation and ask what he expects. 

5 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Speaking generically--I'd probably just tell the SP the situation and ask what he expects. 

Sorry yes it is worded poorly. A person my wife knows (but would I not call a friend yet?) invited my wife and purchased the ticket for her. I think she did so becuase she knows our family and my wife are having a tough time right now  I do not know how much it actually cost her. 

21 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

He's saying a friend of theirs purchased his wife a ticket to attend a Time Out for Women event.  Said friend is going to this event and does not want to go alone.  Also, the event would be uplifting for [wife] after recent trials.  Thus, someone else's money and expectations are involved, not just Newbutoldmember's and his wife's.

I agree with your suggestion - contact the SP, explain the situation fully, and inquire about expectations.

Edited by zil
Oops, I was supposed to write that out by hand and post a photo!

10 minutes ago, Newbutoldmember said:

So when the Stake President called he said a member of the 70. I just looked up his name and he is a member of the area 70s not the General Authority 70s. Not sure if that matters or not?

Again, it might matter to her. Personally, I would weigh a request from a Priesthood leader to meet and chat over a professional (i.e. paid) motivational seminar. But I'm not much of a motivational seminar guy. Seems to me that this is up to your wife.

I think the kind of benefits and blessings you get from meeting with the Seventy will be greater, and longer lasting, than the blessings your wife might get from attending Time Out for Women. The Seventy is taking Time Out for You and Your Wife, so you should take advantage of it My guess is that it was the Spirit that prompted the Seventy to meet with you and your wife. Meeting with you and your wife is what the Lord wants His servant to do. Perhaps you should ponder why the Lord is directing His servant to you. 

I'm non-LDS so I do not know why this meeting with the Area 70 is important. Do you know why he is meeting with you? Does he need to meet with you and your wife? What would your wife prefer, meeting with this man or going to this Women's event with her friend? Can the SP give you any input?

M.

Like for Vort, the answer for me is pretty simple. if you call me and give me 24 hours notice that you want to visit me, you are only going to be told yes if it fits in with pre-planned and scheduled activities. 

Ecclesiastical authority doesn't come with a pass to upend my schedule at will.  and every priesthood leader I've said that to has agreed with me.

Guest LiterateParakeet
12 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I agree with this. I understand the 70's schedule is likely pretty tight, but at the same time, I don't think he would expect you to upend you schedule on such short notice.  He might be able to meet with you a little later so that your wife can be present for both events.  After all, I believe they called to schedule because they respect that you also have a life...otherwise they might just show up unannounced on your door step.  

Anecdotal story time:

I had the opportunity several years ago to go to dinner with the temple president in Uruguay. (We were there working on the temple.) He told us of how his calling came about.

He said that he and his wife were shopping at Walmart when he received a call on his cell that asked if he was available to speak with President Hinckley. He very anxiously said yes. 

President Hinckley then got on the phone asked if he would be willing to accept the call to be the temple president. When he replied yes, but that he needed to discuss it with his wife, President Hinckley asked, "Well, is she there? Go ahead, I'll wait." 

After they accepted the call, then began weeks of the most grueling and lengthy vetting processes that the temple president said he would have imagined.

His wife, who was also present at dinner with us, said that had she known the process would have been so intrusive, she probably would not do it again. Every detail of their lives was discussed. She said that they were answering questions about purchases they had made for their home, the color of shoes her husband wore to Sacrament meeting, and especially all kinds of questions about bills that had been paid late over 20 years ago. (Apparently being in charge of temple funds comes with some SERIOUS questions about responsibility and etiquette...) 

We found all of this to be completely fascinating and hung on every word. It caused me to look hard at my life to see how qualified I am to be called should it ever be the case. 

I only share this story as such an experience obviously was significant in their lives. It was special enough to where their experience made an impact in my life and the lives of my coworkers. So, while experiences come and go in life, the interactions we have with those acting in service of the Lord can become life altering events for ourselves and others. 

Just felt like I should share. 

13 hours ago, MarginOfError said:

Like for Vort, the answer for me is pretty simple. if you call me and give me 24 hours notice that you want to visit me, you are only going to be told yes if it fits in with pre-planned and scheduled activities. 

Ecclesiastical authority doesn't come with a pass to upend my schedule at will.  and every priesthood leader I've said that to has agreed with me.

I'm not sure I fully agree with this, but it doesn't matter because MOE IS BACK!!!

On November 4, 2016 at 4:53 PM, Newbutoldmember said:

STUPID QUESTION SORRY

So my Stake President called and said a member of the 70 wants to come by tomorrow morning to meet my family. He does not live in our state. My wife already has plans to attend the time out for women event event downtown. Do you think it is expected she not attend the event so she can meet the Member of the 70? A person we know bought her ticket who wanted a friend to attend with and I think it will be uplifting for my wife to go since she has gone through a lot lately with my health issues.

Of course if someone called and said the Church President, or an Apostle etc wanted to meet one would cancel without second thought. I would walk to Utah if needed. How far down does that extend? I of course will still be meeting with him tomorrow in any case and feel honored and blessed to do so.

I just want to do the right and expected thing

I'm curious, what did you decide?

On 11/5/2016 at 10:13 PM, bytebear said:

Etiquette wise, it really falls on the obligation you agreed to first. 

This is the correct answer.  

On a side note

Area presidencies will often do ministering visits (normally in conjunction with a stake conference)  to those who are less active, need a faith boost, or have struggled with any variety of issues.  OP your name was not selected at random it was selected from a group of names that were submitted by your bishop and ward council at the request of the SP as requested by the area authority.

Since it is now Monday how did the visit go?

8 hours ago, Iggy said:

:offtopic: Berry! You are back! :dude: Oh Happy Dance!  Please say you are staying, I have missed you so, so much.

Staying :offtopic:

IGGY!!! I have missed you as well! 

You are such a sweet friend! 

How ow do you do all of those cute things?

I had not been here for about a year. 

Will I stay?

Time will only tell. ?

2 hours ago, StrawberryFields said:

IGGY!!! I have missed you as well! 

You are such a sweet friend! 

How ow do you do all of those cute things?

I had not been here for about a year. 

Will I stay?

Time will only tell. ?

They are part of the Emoticon's, there are 294 of them. See the smilie face in the second box after the B I U? Click on it, then click at the top of the box that opens up, Categories. Emoticons 294. TaDa - have fun with them.

Love ya

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update to those who were wondering how it was resolved.

My wife went to the TOFW event. She decided on this route this becuase she had already accepted the invitation two weeks prior and that other sister had already paid for the ticket.

My son and I met with the member of the area 70s at our home during the scheduled time that Saturday It was a nice visit and I could really feel the spirit present.

After stake conference the member of the 70s found my family in the foyer introduced himself and chatted with my wife for a few minutes. While nothing profound took place it was a nice conversation.

Thank you everyone again for your advice and opinion.

1 hour ago, Newbutoldmember said:

A quick update to those who were wondering how it was resolved.

My wife went to the TOFW event. She decided on this route this becuase she had already accepted the invitation two weeks prior and that other sister had already paid for the ticket.

My son and I met with the member of the area 70s at our home during the scheduled time that Saturday It was a nice visit and I could really feel the spirit present.

After stake conference the member of the 70s found my family in the foyer introduced himself and chatted with my wife for a few minutes. While nothing profound took place it was a nice conversation.

Thank you everyone again for your advice and opinion.

Thanks for letting us know!