21 Reasons It Doesn’t Matter if The Church is True

From being a part of this network, I have learned that Mormonism operates very differently in different parts of the world. I suspect that many things that we do here would surprise you. I am not going to elaborate but if some of you feel inspired to serve a mission during retirement believe me the church could use you.

Here's a wishy-washy New-Age-ish Mormon-In-Name-Only who has seized on Brother Cunningham's article as evidence to further his Unitarian beliefs. Pretty much what I feared would happen with this particular article, given its title.

http://www.churchistrue.com/blog/21-reasons-it-doesnt-matter-if-the-church-is-true/

Edited by Vort

16 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

That look you make when you discover 3 of your facebook buddies follow this guy's page:

Image result for seriously? face

Meanwhile, regardless of the face he's currently making, I so want to scratch that puppy's ears!  :wub:  (Which is why I avoid physical contact with puppies and kittens - one of them would surely be coming home with me before it was over.)

Guest MormonGator
33 minutes ago, zil said:

Meanwhile, regardless of the face he's currently making, I so want to scratch that puppy's ears!  :wub:  (Which is why I avoid physical contact with puppies and kittens - one of them would surely be coming home with me before it was over.)

This video shows @zil and I driving one Saturday morning. 

Edited by MormonGator

On 11/11/2016 at 5:19 PM, NeuroTypical said:

I have a 30-year bet with a buddy of mine.  He figures gay temple marriage is inevitable - just need a few generations to go by.  I figure he's wrong.  Whoever loses has to dress up in a pink tutu and sing "I'm a little teapot".

Articles like this, move the tutu closer to me, not him.

True, but he will be the one wearing a tutu, so you are still "safe." :)

• pam featured this topic
Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, zil said:

Maybe you should forgo that showing of Babe... And Stuart Little.

Yeah he's not ready for that yet. Maybe in a few years. 

You are a good sport @Anddenex. Maybe I'll think about issuing you a cool kids club card. Maybe. We'll talk about it over Thanksgiving. @zil, draw up the paperwork. 

10 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Yeah he's not ready for that yet. Maybe in a few years. 

You are a good sport @Anddenex. Maybe I'll think about issuing you a cool kids club card. Maybe. We'll talk about it over Thanksgiving. @zil, draw up the paperwork. 

Right, digging up the forms.  Maybe I'll put a nice "house mouse" stamp on it to make him feel better... ;)

11 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

What! You mean they weren't talking for real either?! Now I know what h**l feels like, utter misery, utter hopelessness. You ruin everything you two.

It's OK, Anddenex.  We'll let you ride the horses and play with the puppies once you have a cool kids club card.

Guest MormonGator
39 minutes ago, zil said:

Right, digging up the forms.  Maybe I'll put a nice "house mouse" stamp on it to make him feel better... ;)

It's OK, Anddenex.  We'll let you ride the horses and play with the puppies once you have a cool kids club card.

Just to let the world know, only @zil and I can hand out cool kids club cards. There are a lot of fraudulent ones going around. @pam, I'd like you to personally excommunicate and ban anyone caught with a fake cool kids club card. 

8 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Just to let the world know, only @zil and I can hand out cool kids club cards. There are a lot of fraudulent ones going around. @pam, I'd like you to personally excommunicate and ban anyone caught with a fake cool kids club card. 

Wait...  There are fakes?!?....  Well that would explain alot...  <Eyes @pam >  Nothing to see here.

I often hear this said and I've said it myself as well, but what does the phrase, "The Church is true" actually mean? What does it mean to you? Is there even such a thing as an objective definition/meaning of the phrase, "The Church is true"?

Curious to know what others think.

-Finrock

Edited by Finrock
spelling

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Finrock said:

Is there even such a thing as an objective definition/meaning of the phrase, "The Church is true"?

I think there is an objective truth, for sure. If the church is "true' than it logically means others are false. That doesn't mean other churches are bad, evil, or have no merit. It just means what they teach is incorrect. Obviously if I was a Catholic, I'd think the Catholic church is true and others are false. If I was an atheist, I'd think all theist religions were false. 

20 minutes ago, Finrock said:

I often hear this said and I've said it myself as well, but what does the phrase, "The Church is true" actually mean? What does it mean to you? Is there even such a thing as an objective definition/meaning of the phrase, "The Church is true"?

Curious to know what others thing.

-Finrock

It means D&C 1:30.

10 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I think there is an objective truth, for sure. If the church is "true' than it logically means others are false. That doesn't mean other churches are bad, evil, or have no merit. It just means what they teach is incorrect. Obviously if I was a Catholic, I'd think the Catholic church is true and others are false. If I was an atheist, I'd think all theist religions were false. 

Hi MormonGator,

I apologize if I wasn't clear about what I was asking. I was not asking if there is objective truth in general. I believe there is objective truth. We hear and say the phrase, "the Church is true". Was does this phrase mean? It appears to me that this means different things to different people. I was then further asking if there is a universal or objective meaning of the phrase, "the Church is true" or is it subjective only? (Meaning, the phrase, "The Church is true").

Hope that clarifies what I was asking.

-Finrock

47 minutes ago, Finrock said:

Curious to know what others think.

-Finrock

I, personally, am not fond of the phrase itself "The Church is true"; however, I understand this is said because of the scripture already shared D&C 1:30, and that individuals are using this phrase to mean that this is God's church with which he is well pleased. I understand that others use this phrase to mean that what the Church proclaims to be -- it is.

• pam unfeatured this topic