Audiobooks

Connie

Yes @LiterateParakeet will surely have something interesting to say on Dr Frankenstein. Will she sympathize with his thirst for knowledge or want to sit him down for an intervention? Will she like the sister or think she is too namby-pamby? Will she like Clerval or think he needs more of a spinal column? Enquiring minds want to know!

On 11/13/2016 at 5:38 AM, Sunday21 said:

Sort of a promethesus thing? The desire for knowledge leads to destruction? I guess this is the theme. Very interesting book!

Prometheus?  I'd rather compare it with Pandora.

I agree that Dune (Macmillan Audio with Scott Brick, etc,....) is amazing. One of the best because they use different actors for the voices. My next favorite is Harry Potter by Jim Dale (amazing, he does all the voices from the move) followed by The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy narrated by Stephen Fry.

Guest LiterateParakeet
27 minutes ago, Windseeker said:

For church books, my favorite is 'A God Who Weeps'. It sounds like it's read by Mary Poppins (Sister Givens).

I just got that one recently.  I love Sis. Given's voice. 

I have not heard the audio book of "A God who weeps" but I love the text. It gave a very different perspective on Deity. Not the old testament approach. I was very surprised when I entered Mormonism and found that 'gentle/loving and occasionally firm/exasperated' Jehovah was the God of the Old Testament - what with the "wipe out the Canaanites and take their land" approach in the old testament.

Count me as another fan of The God who Weeps (text version).  Heard Fiona Givens interviewed by Doug Fabrizio of KUER (Utah NPR affiliate) a couple of years ago in connection with the Givenses' The Crucible of Doubt, which had just been released (and is another goodie)--and, yeah; I'll cop to having a total crush on her voice.  (She and Terryl also have an interview on the Maxwell Institute's podcast.)

I just today finished Terryl Givens' Wrestling the Angel via Audible.  The narration was kind of "meh".  Substantively it was great but very much like trying to stand in front of a tsunami and take a sip of water.  I think that's the sort of book that you just have to get the print version. 

• 2 months later...

I finished listening to Don Quixote. I don't think i would have been able to read that and am glad i didn't even try. I didn't particularly care for it. It's very different from the musical as far as the whole point of the story goes.