Your Afraid of Power, Not Trump

james12

With protests in many cities around the US I wonder if protesters will ever recognize the real problem. It is not Donald Trump and all he has said (as bad as it is). The fundamental problem is that over time we have allowed one person to have such power over us. On his word alone the country can go to war, he can issue executive orders effecting 100's of millions, and he can even tell store owners who is allowed in their bathrooms. 

A recent article I read said it so well:

You aren’t scared of Trump the person. Trump has been on this earth for 70 years and other than a general distaste for him, no one ever feared for their life because Trump walked the earth. He could do what he wanted because he didn't affect your life. He had no control over you. What you fear is the power he now wields.

Republicans felt the same way eight years ago when Obama was elected, only for them, it was gun rights and religious persecution...

Those of you on the progressive left fear Trump because he is going to have control over you. He has the power to affect your personal life and the lives of those you love and he has threatened to use that power in a way you find unthinkable...

Everyone loves the advancement of their own personal agenda, as long as the not so nice parts are pointed elsewhere. We are far too quick to trade our freedoms and liberties on the promise that our compassionate leaders will crush our evil opposition. But every power used to control our political and social enemies can also be used to control us.

Progressives cheered Obama when he used his unilateral power of executive orders to fast track a left-wing agenda, circumventing our system of checks and balances, and blamed the other side for “holding back progress” and blocking government from “doing more.” (Your Afraid of Power, Not Trump)

Unfortunately, I don't think the protesters will see that power is the problem. I suspect nothing will curb the power of the President or this National government short of internal conflict, if even that does. Instead, the left will try and elect someone who can "stand up" to the right. In return the right will try and enforce their will, and the real loser in this game will be our personal freedom.

Am I just pessimistic? Does anyone ever see the possibility that the President, Congress, or this machine we call government will lessen it's hold over us?  

1 hour ago, james12 said:

Unfortunately, I don't think the protesters will see that power is the problem.

Of course not... as long as it was their tyrant in power they did not care...  But now that it is someone else's tyrant..