Post Election Christianity

prisonchaplain

Many Clinton-supporters perceive that Christians supported Trump. The truth? Some did, some did not, and many cast their votes with noses firmly pinched. Nevertheless, the perception has non-believers asking us how we could support someone who did-said-behaved so un-Christ-like. Those Christians who did vote for our President-Elect should take care in their answers not to excuse sin, but rather to focus on those issues and polices that persuaded them. What is eternally more important is our belief that God does not give up on anyone. Clinton or Trump, I would have prayed daily for either one.

Two common charges lobbed against our President-Elect, and us, are that we are under-sensitive about racism and sexism. Jesus highlighted the moral superiority of the despised foreigner—the Good Samaritan—against the insular leadership of his own community. He forgave the adulteress, spoke with the foreign woman at the well and surrounded himself with competent, empowered women. He modeled inclusion and integration. Likewise, we believe the church is a place where there is no longer male or female, Greek or Jew, free or slave--we are all one, in Christ.

Finally, there is the anger and meanness that Mr. Trump’s opponents accuse him and us of trafficking in. It is folly to engage in arguments over which side is worse. The internet is gummed up with left-wing stories of Trump-supporters engaging in racist, sexist trouble-making. Right-wing media carries similar episodes of violence against Trump-supporters, or just of minorities attacking whites, in the name of protesting. Christians are commanded to live at peace, as much as is possible. We love our enemies and pray for those who insult us.

So, what’s a Christian to do in this ramped-up social environment?

* We love God and our neighbors.

* We care for the widow, the orphaned, and the poor.

* We treat the stranger at our gates fairly.

* We use just weights and measures in our business.

* We work harder and more competently.

* We listen hard.

* We speak carefully and compassionately, as led by the Holy Spirit.

The bottom line is that, in a very tiring age, we refuse to grow weary in doing good. They can malign our politics, and reject our religion, but they cannot argue against the testimony of our good lives.

10 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Many Clinton-supporters perceive that Christians supported Trump. The truth? Some did, some did not, and many cast their votes with noses firmly pinched. Nevertheless, the perception has non-believers asking us how we could support someone who did-said-behaved so un-Christ-like. Those Christians who did vote for our President-Elect should take care in their answers not to excuse sin, but rather to focus on those issues and polices that persuaded them. What is eternally more important is our belief that God does not give up on anyone. Clinton or Trump, I would have prayed daily for either one.

Two common charges lobbed against our President-Elect, and us, are that we are under-sensitive about racism and sexism. Jesus highlighted the moral superiority of the despised foreigner—the Good Samaritan—against the insular leadership of his own community. He forgave the adulteress, spoke with the foreign woman at the well and surrounded himself with competent, empowered women. He modeled inclusion and integration. Likewise, we believe the church is a place where there is no longer male or female, Greek or Jew, free or slave--we are all one, in Christ.

Finally, there is the anger and meanness that Mr. Trump’s opponents accuse him and us of trafficking in. It is folly to engage in arguments over which side is worse. The internet is gummed up with left-wing stories of Trump-supporters engaging in racist, sexist trouble-making. Right-wing media carries similar episodes of violence against Trump-supporters, or just of minorities attacking whites, in the name of protesting. Christians are commanded to live at peace, as much as is possible. We love our enemies and pray for those who insult us.

So, what’s a Christian to do in this ramped-up social environment?

* We love God and our neighbors.

* We care for the widow, the orphaned, and the poor.

* We treat the stranger at our gates fairly.

* We use just weights and measures in our business.

* We work harder and more competently.

* We listen hard.

* We speak carefully and compassionately, as led by the Holy Spirit.

The bottom line is that, in a very tiring age, we refuse to grow weary in doing good. They can malign our politics, and reject our religion, but they cannot argue against the testimony of our good lives.

couldnt have said it better.

And I thought politics in the UK was mad!  It's all done and dusted now, in January we will see if the president elect is going to be the president we all hope and pray he can be, and unites the country that seems to be split over the his election.  As a European, I must admit I was very disturbed with most of his rhetoric, but since the election it does seem that he has stepped back from some of his more worrying ideas.  Lets hope this is a sign of good things to come! 

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Latter Days Guy said:

And I thought politics in the UK was mad! 

Are you saying that David Cameron didn't inspire you with his Churchillian leadership?! And Theresa May doesn't fill you with astounding confidence?

1 hour ago, Latter Days Guy said:

And I thought politics in the UK was mad!  It's all done and dusted now, in January we will see if the president elect is going to be the president we all hope and pray he can be, and unites the country that seems to be split over the his election.  As a European, I must admit I was very disturbed with most of his rhetoric, but since the election it does seem that he has stepped back from some of his more worrying ideas.  Lets hope this is a sign of good things to come! 

Is there anyway out of Brexit? Some trapdoor?

13 minutes ago, Latter Days Guy said:

We shall see how the court case goes and whether the Government wins it appeal to not have to get authorisation from parliament for triggering article 50.

Please drag it out somehow! The Canadian way is to avoid conflict by losing it in a pile of paperwork. I have many relatives in Scotland. We climbed out of Mary Hill Glasgow leaving behind a mountain of social problems. Everyone seems ok now. Everyone has a profession. I would hate to see them get knocked back to poverty again. Scotland, madly, is thinking of its own exit. Let's just commit financial suicide all round. But as a Canadian, I am very grumpy about separation. The economy is bad in Quebec. most of the head offices in Quebec left for Toronto. Housing prices are very high, anywhere 2 hours from TO as a result. I am worried about our trade agreements with the us. Trade with the us is equal to about 75% of our GDP. Scary!

Edited by Sunday21

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:39 PM, prisonchaplain said:

The trials of our age????  I have recently been studying world history and the introduction of the Black Plague – first experienced in Constantinople and then to all of Europe.  The plague was seen as an act of G-d and punishment that resulted in the deaths of half the populations of the countries involved.   I would like to say that the plague ended wars – which it did but it did not end human suffering or oppression. 

I am not sure with all our modern updated knowledge of things and religious enlightenment – that we would weather such a trial in our day and time any better than they did.  I would like to think that the restoration of the “Gospel” would make a difference but with what I see in how best and brightest are handling things of much lessor consequence – I am not so sure we can brag much nor are we that much better prepared to handle the last days.  I wish I had your optimism.

The Traveler

@Traveler LDS survived official government orders to terminate, and Pentecostals rose from a small band of rag-tag folk from the wrong side of the tracks. Today you are 15 million or so, with half your people in other countries. My fellowship is 60+ million strong, with 95% being out of country. If the Holy Spirit is with us we will be productive in the Last Days harvest fields of our Lord. 

8 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

@Traveler LDS survived official government orders to terminate, and Pentecostals rose from a small band of rag-tag folk from the wrong side of the tracks. Today you are 15 million or so, with half your people in other countries. My fellowship is 60+ million strong, with 95% being out of country. If the Holy Spirit is with us we will be productive in the Last Days harvest fields of our Lord. 

When I served in the army I never actually experienced combat but I came very close with orders to deploy to the theater of combat.  I learned that when one realizes that they are headed into a mission where they and many of their comrades will die – the world and how we see the world changes very suddenly.  I can only imagine that taking another’s life in combat is even worse.

We like to think we are strong, that we will not bend or break under trails – but seeing myself under great stress and trails – I am not anxious to confront evil myself but even less anxious to watch others making personal sacrifices in their confrontations with evil.  One of my personal, most difficult challenges of life, was not even losing friends to combat – but returning home to hostility towards military service in so many circles of society – but even that was not so difficult as was the complacency among so many of my friends and family that did not understand or care that much for sacrifices that had been made.   Bitterness becomes so great we assume bitterness towards everyone as a default.

Though a small thing – I understand Christ better and the difficult trail he faced.  Not so much that he must sacrifice himself but that he would have to do so alone and cry out to his Father – “Why has thou forsaken me”.  If I, or anyone, is to follow Christ – are we to expect less for ourselves?  Yet, almost all believers I talk to do not even consider the possibility that they will ever face anything difficult alone – as Jesus did.  And yet they still pride themselves and brag of knowing him????

I do not expect that the last days will be easy for Christians - If history is a lesson then what in history would be more difficult for the Christians of the Last Days????

The Traveler