Need help with recipes

beefche

11 hours ago, beefche said:

Ok, we got the rice noodles, the pancit bihon packet thingy and the lumpia packet thingy. Thank you for posting pics as we were able to find it so easy! I didn't see your post about the sauce so I just bought some kind of sweet and sour sauce stuff to use. 

So, I have your recipe for lumpia. What's your recipe for pancit (veggies?)? 

Looks like we'll make the lumpia, pancit bihon and then I'll use your turon for dessert. Thank you, @anatess2!

YEAY!

For pansit I use these:

medium size peeled shrimp without head and tail

thinly sliced pork

thinly sliced boneless chicken thighs

(or I use Beef Sausage - sold next to the polka kielbasa instead of pork and chicken)

shredded cabbage

carrots sliced thin and at an angle (it will look like an elongated circle) or you can just use carrot sticks to make it simpler

snow peas (my mom slices these in half at an angle, I don't bother.  I just snip off the top and devein)

celery sliced thin and at an angle like the carrots

garnish with green onions (the green part only) and lemon sliced into thin half circles.

So, here's how I cook the thing with the spice packet.  I take whatever amount of water the spice packet  says to use for the rice noodles and I soak the noodles in it.  Then I saute the meat in oil (if you have coconut oil, even better).  Then I add the water that the rice noodles are soaked in and mix the spice packet.  After that boils I add the veggies and after the cabbage gets soft I cut the rice noodles in half with kitchen shears and add it to the pot then turn off the stove.  I have electric so the noodles will just cook in the extra heat from the stove.  If you have gas, just set the flame to low to finish the rice noodles.  You're basically just letting the noodles get to the same temperature as the rest of the stuff and it's done.  I serve the thing with green onions and lemon slices.  YUM!

Edited by anatess2

@anatess2 Success!

Some minor setbacks: I used too many rice noodles so we didn't have enough sauce for the pancit. And for the lumpia, I didn't notice that I got Italian ground pork. But, they were both really good!  And the dessert was fantastic! So simple, but so yummy! 

The lumpia were very tasty--we ate the last of them tonight. But, they were a lot of work and I don't fry well. I'm not sure if I'll make them again (but that dessert might have to be created again). The pancit, on the other hand, will be made again. I think we'll forgo the chicken and pork and just use shrimp in the future.

@pam if you've not made pancit before, you should try it sometime. The hardest part was just cutting up the veggies. Very yummy and easy!

On 12/25/2016 at 7:40 PM, beefche said:

@anatess2 Success!

Some minor setbacks: I used too many rice noodles so we didn't have enough sauce for the pancit. And for the lumpia, I didn't notice that I got Italian ground pork. But, they were both really good!  And the dessert was fantastic! So simple, but so yummy! 

The lumpia were very tasty--we ate the last of them tonight. But, they were a lot of work and I don't fry well. I'm not sure if I'll make them again (but that dessert might have to be created again). The pancit, on the other hand, will be made again. I think we'll forgo the chicken and pork and just use shrimp in the future.

@pam if you've not made pancit before, you should try it sometime. The hardest part was just cutting up the veggies. Very yummy and easy!

Yeay!

Yeah, my family rolls the lumpia together while watching a movie on the TV... it takes quite a while to get it all rolled and without the movie, my kids would get bored and start putting more meat in the wrapper making it hard to cook... we would make hundreds at a time and stick the thing in a freezer bag in the freezer.  Then we would just break off a few pieces at a time to fry for snacks or appetizers until it's all gone.  Then we make more.  It can go from freezer straight to frying pan.

Did you do the turon with the chocolate?  We had those for our Christmas dinner too.  We also had pork lumpia shanghai, pancit bihon, and I made my own version of the lumpia sariwa.  My husband wanted to show off his vitamix so he made creme brulee with it.

You should try the lumpia sariwa.  It's super healthy and very easy to make.  As quick and easy as pancit bihon.  I do my own version of it that requires zero cooking.  Well, I add shrimp so I steam the shrimp first... but that's the only thing that needs cooking.  My own version copies a bit from the Vietnamese recipe because I just looooove that Vietnamese peanut sauce.  But I'll give you the Filipino sauce as well so you can try both (both sauces are super easy to make from scratch).

Okay, I'll go ahead and give you the recipe in case you want to try it.  You need the rice wrapper instead of the egg wrapper.  It's a whole lot thinner.  It can be found on the aisle with the bihon noodles.  My Asian store doesn't carry Filipino rice paper so I go ahead and buy the Vietnamese one.

So, this is what you need from the Asian store:

BLT-Summer-Rolls_3.jpg

Lee-Kum-Kee-Hoisin-Sauce-Garlic-208.jpg

Okay, this is another one of those assembly line kind of recipe.  This is, in my opinion, the perfect combination of ingredients (the cool thing about lumpia sariwa is you can pretty much mix your own veggies according to your favorites), green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, matchstick carrots, julienned seeded cucumber, julienned jicama (looks kinda like a potato), bean sprouts, shrimp (jumbo size peeled without head and tail, sauteed in the garlic hoisin sauce for vietnamese flavor or Fish Sauce for Filipino flavor until pink and butterfly sliced).

So, you line up those ingredients and when you're ready, put a cake pan of warm water enough to fit the rice paper flat in it and an empty plate to assemble the lumpia on.  You take one rice paper from the package, soak it in the water for about 15 seconds, then put it flat on the plate.  Fold the top of the circle a bit to make a straight edge.  Put a green lettuce leaf on the folded edge with the top of the lettuce sticking out.  Put a red lettuce, and a little of each of the ingredients.  Top with the shrimp.  Fold the bottom of the rice paper over the ingredients then fold the left side of the paper over the whole thing and then roll to the right as tight as you can make it.  You'll end up with something that looks like the picture below (the picture has different ingredients though).  So, to save some time, what I usually do is have one rice paper soaking while I'm assembling another.  It doesn't really matter if it takes longer than 15 seconds as long as it's not too long - the longer it soaks the stickier the paper becomes but I can roll the lumpia in close to 15 seconds.

DSC_07001.jpg

So, for the sauce... this is the easy Vietnamese peanut sauce:

Put 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter in a bowl, add 1 tablespoon garlic hoisin sauce, 2 teaspoons soy sauce and beat with a whisk adding warm water a little at a time until desired consistency is achieved.  I like mine a bit thick because I pour it over the lumpia.  Some like it thinner to use as dipping sauce instead of pouring it over the lumpia.  Mix in 1 teaspoon of minced garlic and crushed peanuts if you like (I don't like to add the crushed peanuts).

If you'd rather have the Filipino sauce this is also quite yummy but will need cooking:

Combine 1.5 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and a pinch of salt in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.  Add 1 tsp minced garlic and stir constantly until all the sugar is dissolved.  Dissolve 2 tbsp of cornstarch in 1/2 cup water and pour into the sauce stirring constantly until the sauce is of desired thickness.

It sounds complicated but it is really easy and quick.

Edited by anatess2