What are you OCD about?

pam

I would love to live in a nearly empty home with hardwood floors. I have almost achieved this! Is there anything else that I can throw out! Let me look, I may have missed something! I am the opposite of a hoarder. When my family give me something, they automatically tell me that I am not allowed to give it away. Being lds is good for this! We have a give away table at church! Love it! And there are so many children to give things to! I have many Chinese friends. I love them but they have an annoying habit of giving you things if you do them a favour or worse wanting to have you round for dinner. Work 6 days a week. Do church work on Sunday!

My wife likes things in order. I don't mind things "fast and loose", so not much bothers me. 

*People leaving their turn singles on. 

*When I walk by someone going the opposite direction I hold my breath until that whoosh of air I feel passes. Included into this is feeling anyone's breath on or around my face, including my wife. 

On 11/15/2016 at 7:19 AM, pam said:

So what are you OCD about?

My newly acquired OCD is when my husband wears clothes which are designed for someone +100 heavier than he currently is (he's been so great about working out!!!).  Got so bad today I went through his entire closet and took the too big ones out.  And in the process found ~$300 of un-cashed checks.  So in this case, my OCD literally paid off! :)

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:15 AM, bytebear said:

I am very particular about my code.  Starting braces on the same line, camelCase for function names, under_scores for local variables, UpperCase for class names and ALL_CAPS for constants.

I'm the same: Every nested level has to have its own indentation. These indentations all have to be exactly the same. Opening braces must never be on the same line as their control statements.

The sort of code that drives me nuts:

#include <iostream.h>
  using namespace std;
/* Learn your times tables */
int main() {
void i,j;
	for (i=1;i<=10;i++) {
	for (j=1;j<=10;j++) {
	cout<<i<<"x"<<j<<"="<<i*j<<endl;
    }
  	cout<<endl;
  	}
  	}

Whenever a student shows me anything like this, I always have to reformat it before I can even begin to work out if it's correct or not.

11 hours ago, pam said:

That would be more of a pet peeve. 

Is it though? :)  Is it any less than seeing a tile in the floor that is slightly off center? One blinker going off in a myriad of cars that isn't actually changing lanes? That is my off center tile haha. Either way, like I said, I am fast and loose so I really don't have much that bothers me. My wife on the other hand, I driver her crazy!

53 minutes ago, EarlJibbs said:

Is it though? :)  Is it any less than seeing a tile in the floor that is slightly off center? One blinker going off in a myriad of cars that isn't actually changing lanes? That is my off center tile haha. Either way, like I said, I am fast and loose so I really don't have much that bothers me. My wife on the other hand, I driver her crazy!

Hahaha Yes I see your point. :)

I can't stand for my hands to be wet and will dry them even if I am going to put them right back into the water.

Food needs to be organized and labels facing the same outward direction.

If I touch one side of my face, I have to touch the other side. But, then I may feel lopsided...so I have to do it in reverse to equal it out.

I could go on an on... I am totally OCD.

3 hours ago, askandanswer said:

My OCD is waking up and going to sleep. I do both activities every single day, without fail, and on good days, even more than that. If a day goes by without either sleeping or waking, I'll pay for it dearly the next day. 

Pffff - a daily obsession, as if that were some big deal.  Mine is exhaling.  I just have to do it after every inhale.  This terrible pressure builds up if I don't, and then I start getting light-headed.  Sometimes I do it without even thinking.  Like an hour will go by, and I'll realize I've been exhaling every few seconds the whole time - it's one of those habits I just can't seem to break...

4 hours ago, zil said:

Pffff - a daily obsession, as if that were some big deal.  Mine is exhaling.  I just have to do it after every inhale.  This terrible pressure builds up if I don't, and then I start getting light-headed.  Sometimes I do it without even thinking.  Like an hour will go by, and I'll realize I've been exhaling every few seconds the whole time - it's one of those habits I just can't seem to break...

I think this inhaling thing is something you really need to try harder to break. I know smokers who have died from too much inhaling. Once you get over the inhaling, the exhaling should be easy to handle. Just take it one day at a time. I'm pretty sure that if you can get through just one day of not inhaling, you will probably never exhale again. 

27 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

I think this inhaling thing is something you really need to try harder to break. I know smokers who have died from too much inhaling. Once you get over the inhaling, the exhaling should be easy to handle. Just take it one day at a time. I'm pretty sure that if you can get through just one day of not inhaling, you will probably never exhale again. 

Yeah, maybe, but it's not the inhaling I'm OCD about - it's the exhaling.  I don't even think about inhaling - it's just so natural, you know?  Exhaling, on the other hand, it's just so repetitive, and it just seems so useless.  I mean, I think it's all the exhaling that has me inhaling.  I think I need a nap, so I can go an hour without thinking about it...

No icons on my desktop.

Except one, my wife insists on making a link to a budget spreadsheet we use, I tuck that away in the corner and pretend it doesn't exist. I've done everything I can to encourage her to just use her own account on the computer but no...

Screenshot from 2016-11-19 12-45-48.png

1 hour ago, zil said:

Yeah, maybe, but it's not the inhaling I'm OCD about - it's the exhaling.  I don't even think about inhaling - it's just so natural, you know?  Exhaling, on the other hand, it's just so repetitive, and it just seems so useless.  I mean, I think it's all the exhaling that has me inhaling.  I think I need a nap, so I can go an hour without thinking about it...

Like I said Zil, if you stop inhaling, in less than a day you will have solved your problem with exhaling. 

9 hours ago, zil said:

Yeah, so!?  Like you've never had an obsession, Mr. Quit-Inhaling?

Okay, okay. I was going to carry this secret to my grave, but you’ve forced it out of me. You, you, you, only you, always you, eternally YOU, are my secret obsession. You have been from the moment I read your first post on this site. And as for my compulsive behaviour? It’s reading and re-reading, all day, every day, every word, every sentence, yes, even every letter, of the precious pearls of purity that flow through the electrons leading from your computer to mine.

Sorry, Pam, I've always known that you held secret hopes in your heart, your feelings were not a secret to me, but it could never be. I just have this thing for single elderly American women with a passion for science and Russian literature. While you tick most of those boxes, you just don’t quite measure up when it comes to Russian literature.

As for the “problem” of obsessing over one of Gator’s wives, well I’m not worried about that at all. I mean, you know, well, he’s only a gator – nothing more than a pair of future alligator skin boots. And it’s a long way from Florida to Australia, so I’ve got nothing to worry about. Besides, Gator being the excellent bloke that he is, I’m sure he has no problem with sharing.

• pam unfeatured this topic