Caffeine, Coffee, and Study habits

curious_mormon

15 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

You are correct he never specifically said caffeine, but I think a reasonable person could deduce that it is implied. There are no stimulants in caffeine free diet soda so no benefit would be derived from spending long hours learning to use the computer while drinking non caffeinated soda.

Unless you're Alec Hardison.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

You are correct he never specifically said caffeine, but I think a reasonable person could deduce that it is implied. There are no stimulants in caffeine free diet soda so no benefit would be derived from spending long hours learning to use the computer while drinking non caffeinated soda.

Yes, a reasonable person might infer that, but said reasonable person would not assume that the meaning was implied. It is not. I generally avoid caffeinated drinks, yet I still drink way too much soda pop. I (usually) do not drink pop for its caffeine content. So the supposed "implication" appears to me to be non-existent. Certainly, it makes no sense to quote President Uchtdorf's sentence as some sort of justification for drinking Dew.

56 minutes ago, Vort said:

Yes, a reasonable person might infer that, but said reasonable person would not assume that the meaning was implied. It is not. I generally avoid caffeinated drinks, yet I still drink way too much soda pop. I (usually) do not drink pop for its caffeine content. So the supposed "implication" appears to me to be non-existent. Certainly, it makes no sense to quote President Uchtdorf's sentence as some sort of justification for drinking Dew.

I do not think that anyone is using that quote to justify popping a caffeinated soda.  One does not need justification as it is not a "banned" substance.

If the "implication" appears non-existent to you that is fine.  I saw and read it as a direct implication toward him drinking caffeinated diet soda.  I think that many others (reasonable people) made that assumption as well. 

36 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

I do not think that anyone is using that quote to justify popping a caffeinated soda.

You are mistaken.

It's not hidden.

37 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

If the "implication" appears non-existent to you that is fine.  I saw and read it as a direct implication toward him drinking caffeinated diet soda.  I think that many others (reasonable people) made that assumption as well. 

I've helped you by emphasizing the relevant part of your statement above.

I am inline with other specifying that the drink was caffeinated soda, otherwise why would he say "that shall remain nameless." The only reason why to leave a soda pop "nameless" is because it was a caffeinated soda. That is why a good number of people laughed (chuckled to themselves).

I've actually had the chance to meet President Uchdorf and he's such a great guy. The fact he does not come across as perfect makes him endearing. Something to keep in mind is that it was more of a light confession of a human weakness, so people would be remiss to assume it's an endorsement of any sorts.

Guest MormonGator
13 minutes ago, Windseeker said:

I've actually had the chance to meet President Uchdorf and he's such a great guy. The fact he does not come across as perfect makes him endearing. Something to keep in mind is that it was more of a light confession of a human weakness, so people would be remiss to assume it's an endorsement of any sorts.

Wow. So cool you've met him! He seems like such a wonderful guy! 

14 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I was walking with my wife near Temple Square many years ago when we ran into President Faust and his wife. Literally. We were walking fast, and suddenly they came out of a building and I nearly ran her over. I apologized, then recognized Elder Faust and my brain sort of froze up. D'oh. Stupid brain.

21 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I'm a lucky guy and it was not because of me. My wife was his physician while he was here in Florida and she received permission for me to tag along.  Believe me I felt out of place like I was standing next to Giants the whole time. One thing I got to observe is how extremely popular he is with the youth. They are very attracted to him, but if there is a choice, rather then meeting the young adoring fans, he will give them an acknowledging friendly wave and move on to seek out the quiet meek frail folks to personally greet.  Another thing I really liked about him.  

Edited by Windseeker

1 hour ago, Anddenex said:

The only reason why to leave a soda pop "nameless" is because it was a caffeinated soda.

Then why, in church, are we not supposed to name stores (this may be a local habit, but still)?  It's not got anything to do with which one sells caffeine - they all do.  I'm pretty sure it's to avoid giving the impression that the ward explicitly condones / supports / promotes one store over another.  Maybe there's some legal nonsense in there related to tax exempt status, I don't know.  Perhaps President Uchtdorf didn't want to take all the blame for whatever nonsense might follow naming his preferred brand / flavor - caffeinated or not.  (Cuz I can honestly see some Mormon whackos getting into a Sprite v Sierra Mist war - just look at how much time this collection of assorted nuts has spent on the topic without a name...)

22 minutes ago, zil said:

Cuz I can honestly see some Mormon whackos getting into a Sprite v Sierra Mist war

Hey!  Who are you calling a "Whacko"? :gnash:

But seriously folks, I had thought that 7up had disappeared from commerce years ago.  But when I came to Texas, I saw it sitting on store shelves.  When I drank it, I realized for the first time that there really is a difference in the flavor.:cool:

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Hey!  Who are you calling a "Whacko"? :gnash:

BSF, I had thought that 7up had disappeared from commerce years ago.  But when I came to Texas, I saw it sitting on store shelves.  When I drank it, I realized for the first time that there really is a difference in the flavor.:cool:

So, are you a Sprite guy or a 7-Up guy?

I used to not care because I really couldn't tell the difference.  But once I tasted 7up after years of not tasting it, I'll give the vote to 7up.

You?

Edited by Guest

I used to not care because I really couldn't tell the difference.  But once I tasted 7up after years of not tasting it, I'll give the vote to 7up.

It's the lithium citrate. Better than the stuff they put in Coke.

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

So, are you a Sprite guy or a 7-Up guy?

You?

Sierra Mist! Sierra Mist! Sierra Mist! Sierra Mist!

8 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

You?

Don't know. I've never done a side-by-side comparison. As I have entered middle age, I have found I don't really like the lemon-lime soda pop flavor as much as I used to, so perhaps my opinion now would be moot. A few years ago, I found myself enjoying, of all things, ginger ale.

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

Don't know. I've never done a side-by-side comparison. As I have entered middle age, I have found I don't really like the lemon-lime soda pop flavor as much as I used to, so perhaps my opinion now would be moot. A few years ago, I found myself enjoying, of all things, ginger ale.

You know, your use of "soda pop" gives you away as a just a bit older than I am.  The usage was going out of favor by the time I came to the US.  I used it for a little while, but I found the shortened "soda" to be more efficient and more common as I grew older.

But still after all these years, you've still got it in your lexicon.

5 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

You know, your use of "soda pop" gives you away as a just a bit older than I am.  The usage was going out of favor by the time I came to the US.  I used it for a little while, but I found the shortened "soda" to be more efficient and more common as I grew older.

But still after all these years, you've still got it in your lexicon.

My actual normal (spoken) usage is "pop". Just "pop". But in a larger context, even in America, some people don't understand what pop is, so I use the term "soda pop" to clarify. I have never called the stuff "soda". That's what my wife uses when baking.

11 minutes ago, zil said:

Sierra Mist! Sierra Mist! Sierra Mist! Sierra Mist!

Sierra Mist did a poor job in branding.  For the first several years "Sierra Mist" sounded way too much like "Mountain Dew", so many who avoided caffeine avoided Sierra Mist.  When they found out about it, they added the label "No Caffeine" or "Caffeine Free".  Then people would ask,"Why would someone want Mountain Dew without the caffeine, so fewer people chose it.

It took a while to get the public to realize that it was the replacement for Sprite and 7up.

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, Vort said:

My actual normal (spoken) usage is "pop". Just "pop". But in a larger context, even in America, some people don't understand what pop is, so I use the term "soda pop" to clarify. I have never called the stuff "soda". That's what my wife uses when baking.

My Memere calls soda "tonic". It's a very New England thing.