Caffeine, Coffee, and Study habits

curious_mormon

7 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Sierra Mist did a poor job in branding.  For the first several years "Sierra Mist" sounded way too much like "Mountain Dew", so many who avoided caffeine avoided Sierra Mist.  When they found out about it, they added the label "No Caffeine" or "Caffeine Free".  Then people would ask,"Why would someone want Mountain Dew without the caffeine, so fewer people chose it.

It took a while to get the public to realize that it was the replacement for Sprite and 7up.

None of which alters its taste. :)  (PS: It could disappear off the planet and I wouldn't know it - the only soda I've bought for ages is Henry Weinhard's Root Beer, and even that only gets purchased once a year.)

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Vort said:

I thought "tonic" referred specifically to carbonated (sparkling) water. Not so?

It could, but I've heard brand name "Coke" referred to as "tonic" by people in rural, upstate NH/Maine. It's not common, but not uncommon ether. 

Edited by MormonGator

6 minutes ago, zil said:

None of which alters its taste. :)  (PS: It could disappear off the planet and I wouldn't know it - the only soda I've bought for ages is Henry Weinhard's Root Beer, and even that only gets purchased once a year.)

Mmm...  Weinhard's...

We can agree on that one.

38 minutes ago, zil said:

Then why, in church, are we not supposed to name stores (this may be a local habit, but still)?  It's not got anything to do with which one sells caffeine - they all do.  I'm pretty sure it's to avoid giving the impression that the ward explicitly condones / supports / promotes one store over another.  Maybe there's some legal nonsense in there related to tax exempt status, I don't know.  Perhaps President Uchtdorf didn't want to take all the blame for whatever nonsense might follow naming his preferred brand / flavor - caffeinated or not.  (Cuz I can honestly see some Mormon whackos getting into a Sprite v Sierra Mist war - just look at how much time this collection of assorted nuts has spent on the topic without a name...)

I have never heard of not being able to name a store in Church, so that is new to me. I have heard stores named all the time, and it has never been an endorsement, just simply part of the story. I have no answer to the first question as I haven't experienced it. I have heard people also say, "I am not going to mention the store because I don't want people to think I am endorsing it."

9 minutes ago, Vort said:

That's what I want, water mixed with quinine. And preferably with a dash of arsenic to give it that je ne sais quoi.

Add the arsenic in it and vous ne saurez rien.

Edited by Guest

On 11/15/2016 at 8:32 PM, Sunday21 said:

By the way, anyone look at the nutritional quality of the food at one of our potlucks?  We got no right to lecture anyone on diet. How many calories in those funeral potatoes? In the green jello salad with grated carrots and celery? What about the potatoes roasted in duck fat???????????

donutmeme.png