It's Not Pertinent To Your Salvation

21 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I totally didn't get that from the cruise ship analogy. But ok.

That still doesn't address the question.  Let me try a rephrase:

Of the things that are not already revealed, I break it down into three categories:

1) Some things are just silly to ask.  Someone once mentioned that they heard the Satan was a musician prior to the war in heaven.  I honestly thought that was silly.
2) Some things are curiosities, and I wouldn't blame anyone for trying to ask or figure it out or discuss it.  This is just something to do an "I wonder" and have a gab session with friends... perfect for forum discussions.
3) Some things that are precious enough that they won't be revealed publicly, but they are available through personal revelation.

<4> Then there's the stuff that is already revealed publicly that has nothing to do with this question or thread.

I'm mostly trying to discern the difference between 1 & 2.  I figure, #3 is something that we probably won't be talking about much. And I don't think we're ever going to get personal revelation on 1 or 2.  So, we're left just talking about them on forums such as this.

None of this means that we ignore or neglect #4.  It's just that we're allowed to be curious about some things and discuss things that, yes, probably don't matter in the end.  But I'm just one of those guys that can't help but collect meaningless bits of trivia.

I think the difference between 1 & 2 is entirely inside the head of the person considering 1 & 2.  (You can file that thought away in your Book of Totally Useless Information™ - if you don't have one, I'm confused, as my brother and I have had them since our youth - they appear to be pre-installed software.)

7 minutes ago, zil said:

I think the difference between 1 & 2 is entirely inside the head of the person considering 1 & 2.  (You can file that thought away in your Book of Totally Useless Information™ - if you don't have one, I'm confused, as my brother and I have had them since our youth - they appear to be pre-installed software.)

So, is it a book or software?:P

8 minutes ago, zil said:

It's a book that exists only in one's brain.  Sort of an e-book, but not the kind you can put on a phone or tablet.

Unfortunately, if you've seen that video of a man's brain vs. a women's brain that LP linked to a while back, I have a woman's brain apparently. It's not a book, but a jumble of wires -- a ball of yarn with cris-crossing everything with everything else.  All the contact points represents an entire library that is cross-referenced at random.

I once connected eating a turnip with crossing a rope bridge.  Reminds me of the guy on scrubs that always zoned out only to deliver an off the wall remark.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Unfortunately, if you've seen that video of a man's brain vs. a women's brain that LP linked to a while back, I have a woman's brain apparently. It's not a book, but a jumble of wires -- a ball of yarn with cris-crossing everything with everything else.  All the contact points represents an entire library that is cross-referenced at random.

Why is that unfortunate only if I've seen that video?  Further, given that it's a virtual book existing only in your brain, I reckon it can be stored / accessed in whatever fashion you want.  Farther, given that I'm female (and thus have a woman's brain) and I have such a book, even if your brain is gender-confused, that's no reason you too can't have a Book of Totally Useless Information™.

8 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I once connected eating a turnip with crossing a rope bridge.  Reminds me of the guy on scrubs that always zoned out only to deliver an off the wall remark.

The ability to free associate is a good thing, in my opinion.  Most people seem confused by it.

6 minutes ago, zil said:

Why is that unfortunate only if I've seen that video? 

LOL.  Your lack of attention to subbordination via commas is unbecoming a woman of letters such as yourself. :P

6 minutes ago, zil said:

Further, given that it's a virtual book existing only in your brain, I reckon it can be stored / accessed in whatever fashion you want. 

Only if I'm paying attention.  When I'm not, my thoughts ... just ...go...

6 minutes ago, zil said:

Farther, given that I'm female (and thus have a woman's brain) and I have such a book, even if your brain is gender-confused, that's no reason you too can't have a Book of Totally Useless Information™.

Have you registered that BTUI?

6 minutes ago, zil said:

The ability to free associate is a good thing, in my opinion.  Most people seem confused by it.

True.  I find that this ability is what has put me in the driver's seat in many gatherings.

Your lack of attention to subbordination via commas is unbecoming a woman of letters such as yourself.

Hey, don't blame me if you don't know how to separate two independent thoughts into separate sentences.

7 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Only if I'm paying attention.  When I'm not, my thoughts ... just ...go...

Apparently you need to upgrade your Book of Totally Useless Information™ drivers, cuz mine just automatically opens, records, and goes back to idle whenever totally useless information comes up.

8 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Have you registered that BTUI?

It's BoTUI (pronounced BahTOOee).  If it were registered, I would have used ® instead of ™, now wouldn't I?

10 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I find that this ability is what has put me in the driver's seat in many gatherings.

While those around you stare dumbfounded and file your ramblings into their Books of Totally Useless Information™?

;)

24 minutes ago, zil said:

Apparently you need to upgrade your Book of Totally Useless Information™ drivers, cuz mine just automatically opens, records, and goes back to idle whenever totally useless information comes up.

Actually ( no joke) I'm looking into doing just that.  I've discovered a neuro feedback treatment that adjusts things just like this. I'm kind of excited about it.

It's BoTUI (pronounced BahTOOee). 

BahTOOee?  Hmm.  Let's... PahTOOee.  ... Papyri of Totally Useless Information.

If it were registered, I would have used ® instead of ™, now wouldn't I?

Oh!  The shame!  How can you forgive me of this befuddlement of terms!?!

While those around you stare dumbfounded and file your ramblings into their Books of Totally Useless Information™?

I'm going to use this opportunity to brag a bit.  I'm working on a particular "top secret" project at work.  I raised an objection to a requirement the physicists specified.  It didn't seem to make any kind of sense given that we were in a giant Faraday cage.  So, I pointed that out.

Until that moment, no one on the team realized this design created a giant Faraday cage because everyone was so specialized and compartmentalized that they never put that together.  -- multi-discipline understanding pays off.

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Actually ( no joke) I'm looking into doing just that.  I've discovered a neuro feedback treatment that adjusts things just like this. I'm kind of excited about it.

BahTOOee?  Hmm.  Let's... PahTOOee.  ... Papyri of Totally Useless Information.

Oh!  The shame!  How can you forgive me of this befuddlement of terms!?!

I'm going to use this opportunity to brag a bit.  I'm working on a particular "top secret" project at work.  I raised an objection to a requirement the physicists specified.  It didn't seem to make any kind of sense given that we were in a giant Faraday cage.

Until that moment, no one on the team realized this design created a giant Faraday cage because everyone was so specialized and compartmentalized that they never put that together.  -- multi-discipline understanding pays off.

I've filed all that in my BoTUI™.  But the neuro-feedback thing sounds interesting.  Can I learn more online?

9 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Papyri of Totally Useless Information.

Clearly, this didn't start with my brother and I. :hmmm:Do you suppose God has a BoTUI?  I mean, He knows everything, which means he knows all the useless stuff too.  So is it still useless when you know everything, or is there something about omniscience which makes useless information useful?

5 minutes ago, zil said:

Clearly, this didn't start with my brother and I. :hmmm:Do you suppose God has a BoTUI?  I mean, He knows everything, which means he knows all the useless stuff too.  So is it still useless when you know everything, or is there something about omniscience which makes useless information useful?

What can I say? I'm an old school guy who values the paper book more than e-books.

As far as omniscience and BoTUI... it's not pertinent to your salvation. :cool:

As far as omniscience and BoTUI... it's not pertinent to your salvation. :cool:

:lol:

What can I say? I'm an old school guy who values the paper book more than e-books.

Well, add a nice Rhodiarama notebook to your green fountain pen, and you'll have the perfect place to file all your useless information.  (I linked you to the red one cuz green + red = Christmas; and they don't have a green one.)

6 minutes ago, zil said:

:lol:

Well, add a nice Rhodiarama notebook to your green fountain pen, and you'll have the perfect place to file all your useless information.  (I linked you to the red one cuz green + red = Christmas; and they don't have a green one.)

LoL.

Thanks, but I've already got a book

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Not that I'm accusing you of a threadjack, but the comment was "pertinent to", not "necessary for".

Can you provide examples for how elements of one set cannot or are not elements in the other?

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

Can you provide examples for how elements of one set cannot or are not elements in the other?

The Traveler

"Pertinent to" is a larger category of which "necessary for" is a subset.  My intent was more of the "other" portions of "pertinent" whereas you commented on "necessary" only.

On 12/10/2015 at 8:25 PM, Vort said:

with peripheral vision, look like a pig? I think it took me two weeks before I actually looked carefully at his avatar and realized it was a kitten. Maybe it really is just me, but try reading one of JojoBag's posts without ever looking directly at his avatar, and see if your impression of what is represented is a pig lying on its belly and looking at you.

11qh094.png

A small diversion here:

Vort, be not deceived. The avatar of ztodd is a kitten, not a pig.

On 5/19/2015 at 5:35 AM, Vort said:

(Despite my jokey avatar, I am not a pretty young Icelandic woman. I am an overweight middle-aged American man.)

On 1/28/2014 at 11:58 AM, Vort said:

But be assured: Beneath that calm, cool, domestic-chore-performing exterior, I am a doe-eyed Icelandic girl.

2263250351_f05e2de9d3.jpg

15 minutes ago, Vort said:

And alas, I am not an attractive young Icelandic woman. Nothing in this world is as it appears.

Now I'm really confused. I'm guessing that some days you are an Icelandic woman and some days you are not?

41 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

Now I'm really confused. I'm guessing that some days you are an Icelandic woman and some days you are not?

So, umm, does this Icelandic woman know her face is being used as an avatar for a middle aged man on a Mormon website?  Also, who was Vort's old avatar, the guy with glasses and a disgusted look on his face?