Moroni, Elijah and Joseph Smith

askandanswer

37 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Not a problem!

I have a friend who comes from a branch of Christianity where every congregation acts extremely independently.  She was having difficulty understanding that the LDS church is ONE church.  One time, we went to an temple open house, ~8 hours drive from our home town.  We arrived at the local church building, and lo and behold it was identical to the one in my home town.  We then drove 80 miles to attend sacrament meeting with friends- at another identicall church building with identical lessons!

Yeah, I had a relative who was inactive and was just starting to come back to Church.  I went to church with her and needed to use the restroom.  She was surprised to find that I knew where it was when I had just entered the building for the first time.

1 hour ago, Jane_Doe said:

The reason: all local LDS church buildings are part of the one international church.  Rather than reinventing the wheel every time a local building is being built, they use basically the same floorplan over and over again (it's more efficient).  Hence, the outside looks about the same, and if you were to walk in you'd find that the rooms are arranged basically the same, the decorations are basically the same, etc.  

I can usually tell the 1960s buildings too, which also had a common design and theme.  It's funny because you occasionally see old Mormon churches from that era that are now owned by other churches, so it's odd seeing an LDS building but then you see "Seventh Day Adventist" signs on it.  There is (or was) a bed and breakfast in Park City which is in an old church building.   Rumor has it, the baptismal font is now a hot tub.

Edited by bytebear

Perhaps another reason we have an angel with a trumpet on the temples is that the plates which Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon came forth on the very date of the Hebrew Feast of Trumpets in 1823.  See the January 2000 Ensign article "The Golden Plates and the Feast of Trumpets."  That is the date that Moroni gave Joseph the plates.  (He had seen them previously, but was not permitted to take them.)  The trumpet symbolizes the call for Israel to gather.  It's the call to repent and prepare for the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) and the Feast of Tabernacles (God's return to his covenant people) in preparation for the coming New Year (Rosh Hashannah).  

Another significant date from the Hebrew calendar that coincides with Church history is that Moses, Elijah, and Jesus appeared in the Kirtland Temple on April 3, 1836.  That was the Passover in that year.  The Passover seder sets a place at the table reserved for Elijah's return.  There seems to be a synchronicity that we don't altogether understand with events of the Restoration and the Jewish calendar.  

• pam unfeatured this topic