Help Getting Closer To Jesus

robrog8999

Jesus In Your Life  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best help you to feel the love of Jesus Christ? And to build your relationship with Him?

• Reading & Pondering the Scriptures
    • Watching/Listening to talks from the Conference
    • Prayer/Fasting
    • Watching Other's Testimonies

Ok, so the title says it all. I am working on getting closer to Jesus Christ and feeling His presence through the Holy Ghost. I do have faith, I am a believer and I read and study the scriptures daily, sometimes multiple times a day. Where I am lacking, is with prayer. I do pray, but not as often as I should. I do have short conversations with God sometimes throughout the day, but not too often meaningful or deep. I know for sure I need to work on praying more often and with deeper, more meaningful discussions. So, I am working on that.

However, how do you guy's work on your relationship with Jesus and feeling the Spirit? It is a daily thing we must work at or we begin to feel some separation. I know it's a lot of effort on our part and its something very important we must do. And as I read the Scriptures and other church related books, I dont feel the Spirit like I wish. I will feel the presence of God and some scriptures begin to ignite my love and feelings toward Jesus, however, they seem to die quickly and I am back feeling like I am working to hard at this. 

Basically, most of all, I just want to feel the love of Jesus Christ and feel how important the Atonement was and understand how much He love's me. I want to feel that relationship grow and not die down. I want to feel this love. I want a strong relationship with Jesus Christ and learn to be more appreative of His Sacrifices for me.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can work on this? Are there any special tools or ways you use to develop and keep this relationship/love? What is it you do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Some thoughts...  First, I wonder if the transitory nature of that feeling isn't on purpose - so that we constantly (or at least frequently) feel the need and desire to keep working for it, reaching out to our Father and Savior.  This both helps us to not take the gifts of the Spirit for granted, and to learn to work for spiritual blessings.

Second, I didn't pick an answer from your list because I don't think the answer is there.  I think the way to feel Christ's love and to build a relationship with him is to minister to others.  Take what you studied in scripture, heard/read in Conference / someone's testimony, or felt during prayer, and go perform some act of kindness or service based thereon or prompted thereby.  I think it's that action which will help most.

Finally, I think your efforts are admirable and will be rewarded.  I'm inspired to increase my own efforts.

I would agree that all of the above are important. But based on why you have said I would urge you to spend time pondering and meditating on what you learn. Only in the silence of our souls can we "hear" the still small voice. When we are caught up in reading more, or in worries and concerns we will miss the Lord's voice speaking to our minds. President McKay once said, "I think we pay too little attention to the value of meditation, a principle of devotion. In our worship there are two elements: One is spiritual communion arising from our own meditation; the other, instruction from others, particularly from those who have authority to guide and instruct us. Of the two, the more profitable introspectively is meditation. Meditation is the language of the soul. It is defined as “a form of private devotion, or spiritual exercise, consisting in deep, continued reflection on some religious theme.” Meditation is a form of prayer." (Conference Report, Apr. 1946, 113).

Edited by james12

When I first read the OP, what came to mind was the October 2015 conference, when there were two different talks, one after another, suggesting we pray and ask the Father what we should work on now. So my suggestion would be to do that: ask Heavenly Father.

Yielding Our Hearts to God by Sister Neill F. Marriott

When we open ourselves to the Spirit, we learn God’s way and feel His will. During the sacrament, which I call the heart of the Sabbath, I have found that after I pray for forgiveness of sins, it is instructive for me to ask Heavenly Father, “Father, is there more?" When we are yielded and still, our minds can be directed to something more we may need to change—something that is limiting our capacity to receive spiritual guidance or even healing and help.

What Lack I Yet? by Elder Larry R. Lawrence

As we travel along that strait and narrow path, the Spirit continually challenges us to be better and to climb higher. The Holy Ghost makes an ideal traveling companion. If we are humble and teachable, He will take us by the hand and lead us home.

However, we need to ask the Lord for directions along the way. We have to ask some difficult questions, like “What do I need to change?” “How can I improve?” “What weakness needs strengthening?”

I feel the closest to Christ when I'm working on the strength of my marriage and my family.  When marital issues come up, I seek answers from scriptures, the words of our modern prophets, other people's testimonies, and kneel in prayer.  My marriage and my little family is my little incubator where I feel, practice, exercise, build, and grow my love for Christ and our Heavenly Father.

Helaman 3:35, "Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God."

Moses 6:60, "For by the water ye keep the commandment; by the Spirit ye are justified, and by the blood ye are sanctified;"

Alma 7:24, "And see that ye have faith, hope, and charity, and then ye will always abound in good works."