The #LIGHTtheWORLD December thread!

NeuroTypical

This thread is for folks who are going to be doing #LIGHTtheWORLD every day in December, and would like a place to journal their daily experiences.

It's like a nativity calendar, but with ways to be Christlike instead of chocolate.  (You can add chocolate if you want.)

You go to mormon.org and get your daily thing.  There's a short video, and a list of suggestions on how to accomplish the thing.  For December 1, the theme:  Jesus Lifted Others’ Burdens and So Can You

No shoulders have ever borne as much as those of Jesus Christ. By descending below all things, Jesus put Himself in a position to lift our burdens. When we lend our strength to those who are weighed down by life’s challenges, even the heaviest load can be made lighter.

THREE SIMPLE WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
Volunteer to help a friend move.
Watch and share this inspiring video about the power of serving others.
Pray and ask Heavenly Father to make you more aware of those around you that need help carrying their burdens.

OTHER WAYS TO PARTICIPATE
* Learn more about the process of addiction recovery.
* Read Matthew 11:28–30 and then discuss with others how the Savior can help us through life’s most difficult challenges.
* Snowing outside? Lift up your shovel to clear an elderly neighbor’s driveway.
* Share an experience on social media of when prayer helped you carry a burden.
* Do you know a caregiver for an elderly or disabled adult? Take some time to visit the caregiver. Ask if there are any errands you can run for him or her.
* Students: Offer to carry someone’s backpack for him or her. Try to think of someone who could really use some kindness.
* Visit JustServe.org for more ways to #LIGHTtheWORLD in your community (U.S. and Canada only).

Edited by NeuroTypical

• 2 weeks later...

I would even suggest to go Mormon.org each day.  

1. they have a short video for that days item. 

2. They have other suggestions on what you can do. 

3. they have a scripture about Christ doing that days item.  

That was the one thing I wish was on the Advent Calendar is scriptures to go with it.   I get they didn't have the room.  Nice to see they are on mormon.org. 

For the past few years now, standard procedure is "I ferret out whatever grocery coupons I can find, then my mom clips them out and divvies up what we don't need for others within the local congregations." I'm online most days checking coupon sites, and mom gets them sorted weekly. 

If a person isn't picky about brands, I can get just about anything you can imagine. I've pulled coupons for everything from ham to motor oil to diapers. Given that a lot of people in this area are having financial issues, every little bit helps. 

Here's my day 5 check in.  The first 4 days were sort of hectic, not much time, so I did the "read this scripture" part to complete the day.  But for day 5 I shine a little brighter. 

Jesus healed the sick.

I managed to get myself on the medical response team at my work, which gives me free paid training.  Did that years ago.  So far, I've been able to help half a dozen people on the job and off - one involving life and death.  I've bought books on mental illness and handed them to bishoprics and stake presidencies.  I've participated in depression support groups, and supported rape crisis centers financially.  

What I haven't done so often, is think about all that in terms of giving Christlike service to my fellow man.  So today was a good day.

I don't think I'll do so good on the rest of the month, but today was a good day. :)

As it happens, our very sweet next-door neighbors are both dealing with significant health problems. Unfortunately but I guess serendipitously, Faramir and I had the opportunity to help them out a couple of times today.