Finding out your kid used to be a bully and dealing with everyone involved

Backroads

Guest MormonGator
8 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Yes I see your point. Poor child! What is the child meant to do? At least with some self defense skills, the victim has more of a chance to survive. Anyway, I learnt judo as a kid. I had to flip some young men over desks and one over a stairwell to survive so I see your point!

Self defense is so important. I was a skinny, frail kid and was always getting bullied and picked on. Looking back I wish I stood up for myself more, but I take wicked glee in knowing I'm much more successful than some of the kids who picked on me. Karate helped big time 

Edited by MormonGator

• 3 weeks later...

I was always bigger and taller than everyone else growing up so I was never bullied. I even laughed at myself and cracked jokes about myself because that was my personality and that was what my favorite comedians were doing to enjoy life. I grew up being bigger than everyone and laughing a lot so I don't know what people who were bullied went through or felt. I feel bad for them.

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

I'd be interested to know how that went/is going.

My sister accepted an apology. That's one I know personally.

Girl said she didn't recognize what she was doing as wrong.  Explanation, not excuse. She was imitating her sisters and had the clout to get things to the extreme. 

Edited by Backroads

It's awesome that the girl is apologizing. She can never undo the harm she did, but it's still better to apologize than not. I'm so sad that the mom was hurt. I'd say she deserves what all her daughters' victims deserve: love and compassion and support. 

As for why people said it, I suppose it's because there comes a point where you realize you either tell the truth or you're complicit in the lie. One person got sick of being part of the lie, and once that part of the dam broke, all the other waters rushed in. My husband had an absolutely vile bully as his deacon president, and if someone started praising him (which they wouldn't because he turned into a washed-out loser of an ex-con), there'd be a whole bunch of truth-telling coming out of our mouths. 

Edited by ldsister

16 hours ago, ldsister said:

It's awesome that the girl is apologizing. She can never undo the harm she did, but it's still better to apologize than not. I'm so sad that the mom was hurt. I'd say she deserves what all her daughters' victims deserve: love and compassion and support. 

As for why people said it, I suppose it's because there comes a point where you realize you either tell the truth or you're complicit in the lie. One person got sick of being part of the lie, and once that part of the dam broke, all the other waters rushed in. My husband had an absolutely vile bully as his deacon president, and if someone started praising him (which they wouldn't because he turned into a washed-out loser of an ex-con), there'd be a whole bunch of truth-telling coming out of our mouths. 

I know a gal who was abused by her privately adopted family. Lots of the kids were. She and others told the bishop, who accused them of lying.

In adulthood, she found herself in the same ward as the bishop. When he was being sustained, she rose her hand in opposition with no qualms.

4 hours ago, Backroads said:

I know a gal who was abused by her privately adopted family. Lots of the kids were. She and others told the bishop, who accused them of lying.

In adulthood, she found herself in the same ward as the bishop. When he was being sustained, she rose her hand in opposition with no qualms.

That  breaks my heart. That poor child.