Temple dress

Sunday21

I'm curious as you are. I've been thinking about getting new temple dress and ceremonial clothing. I'm nervous to buy a dress online as I'm pretty picky about my clothes and how they fit. It scares me to choose a dress without trying it on first (and I'm not too keen on returning a bunch of dresses before I find one that I like). 

I've thought about just waiting until we get to Utah again, but other than the distribution center, I don't know where to go to buy a temple dress.

So, no contribution from me, except to say I'm interested in replies to this thread as well. 

I searched the internet for a new 100% cotton temple dress and envelope for about a year. Finally settled on Dressed In White. They no longer carry the dress I bought, if I had to replace it they have two that I like in the plus size. The envelope I got is the Battenburg. I sewed a larger button and enlarged the button hole to fit. These aging fingers just couldn't work that small of a button. I am going to have to change out the small hook and eye at the back of the dress too - and put a velcro closure there instead. I absolutely love it.

They said that their sizes run a bit small - and at the time I was a size 3x at Walmart, 1x at Woman Within, 4x at Lane Bryant. So I had a girlfriend measure me and bought their size 3x. It fit just a tiny bit snug, not enough to cause me to return it. In 8 years I have lost about 25 pounds and the dress fits a bit loose. Not enough for me to buy a new one from them in size 2x.

I am 5'3" and had to hem the dress by about 5 inches. Now if I can just find a slip that is 100% cotton OR a pair or three of *pettie? pants* that are all cotton.

Edited by Iggy

Sigh. I have to buy a new dress. I lost a humongous amount of weight and my dress is too big. I have been pinning my dress on. Finally the sisters working my shift at the temple cracked and someone gave me an older dress that fits me. But clearly the "newer" dress is still not cutting it. I am getting that firm silence that lds women give you when they disapprove.  I really hate the dresses on distribution services. I also hate wearing those really soft fabrics that look like pyjamas so most of the mail order houses are out. I am nervous about shopping on the internet but I am a long way from Utah. I will have to screw my courage up and buy something online. I will have to go to a stitches alterations store and get measured. Yuck. I am very nervous! So many buy online stories are bad stories!

Guest LiterateParakeet
6 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

But clearly the "newer" dress is still not cutting it. I am getting that firm silence that lds women give you when they disapprove.

Good grief, why do they even care?  I rarely notice what other women are wearing especially in the temple.  Sorry you are getting that "firm silence."  I think they are missing the whole point, but  . . .  sigh.  

Guest LiterateParakeet
12 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

@LiterateParakeet I was surprised too! But almost all of the sister temple workers are quite welll off and many are well off and retired. I guess circumstances change your priorities!

Oh mercy.  Just as I suspected, they are missing the whole point.  We all dress very simply and in white in the temple in part to put away all that worldly business of who makes more money and what not.  It's a shame they can't leave the world outside.  

Sorry, I don't have any recommendations about a dress. :)   I say keep the one you are wearing and let them get over themselves.  

18 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Oh mercy.  Just as I suspected, they are missing the whole point.  We all dress very simply and in white in the temple in part to put away all that worldly business of who makes more money and what not.  It's a shame they can't leave the world outside.  

Sorry, I don't have any recommendations about a dress. :)   I say keep the one you are wearing and let them get over themselves.  

Good point! I had not thought of this!