Guest

Do you tell your coworkers that you are Mormon?

Recommended Posts

I also work in a small law firm that's very LGBTQ friendly (my paralegal married her girlfriend a couple of months ago); and we're in Utah so . . . the Mormon thing does come up occasionally.  I don't make a big deal of it; but my desk does include (among a half-dozen other family pictures and personal mementos) a picture of Christ that Just_A_Girl drew a couple years ago, and a Deseret Book "Scripture-a-Day" desk calendar.  People have been pretty respectful for the most part--probably because no one notices the calendar, and come on--what kind of churl is going to give me grief over something my wife drew?  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Don't ask don't tell!

Just speaking as someone who was a non member for years if someone was proselytizing to me at work I'd say "Look, that's very nice but I have work to do, and frankly, you do too. So save this for your off time." 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Just speaking as someone who was a non member for years if someone was proselytizing to me at work I'd say "Look, that's very nice but I have work to do, and frankly, you do too. So save this for your off time." 

Great point, I've found that the best way to share my faith is through action rather than words. I have often had people ask me things like, "Why don't you use the word ___?" or "Why don't you drink?" Few things give me more joy than explaining my faith when people ask.

1 John 3:18 "My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Larry Cotrell said:

Great point, I've found that the best way to share my faith is through action rather than words. I have often had people ask me things like, "Why don't you use the word ___?" or "Why don't you drink?" Few things give me more joy than explaining my faith when people ask.

1 John 3:18 "My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth."

 

 Thanks bud. Like we all know there is a time for everything. I'll be more likely to listen to you talk about faith if you show up on time, do your work, and are friendly and personable.

There is another thing too that's awkward to talk about. The blunt, uncomfortable truth is that some people shouldn't share their faith. If you are grouchy, argumentative, rude and  unpleasant do you really think people will listen to you talk about faith? Who in their right mind wants to join a faith if the practitioners act like that?  

Edited by MormonGator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I can say what my FIL's experience was (the one that no longer posts here).

I was hoping he had just been busy lately, and that he hadn't left the list altogether.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
6 hours ago, Vort said:

I was hoping he had just been busy lately, and that he hadn't left the list altogether.

He did leave because he was busy.  The trials going on in his household and circle of individuals is ongoing.  But honestly, he didn't have much reason to come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

He did leave because he was busy.  The trials going on in his household and circle of individuals is ongoing.  But honestly, he didn't have much reason to come back.

What? Anatess is not reason enough for him to come back?  I'm crushed!  I love that guy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Update: I am no longer a closeted Mormon at work!  I am glad.  I should have been a lot more upfront about my religious beliefs from the start.

The way I did it: I just used the model described by @Vort above.  You leave enough evidence lying around that you are Mormon, and let your coworkers figure it out and come to you.

Edited by DoctorLemon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2017 at 1:30 PM, DoctorLemon said:

Update: I am no longer a closeted Mormon at work!  I am glad.  I should have been a lot more upfront about my religious beliefs from the start.

The way I did it: I just used the model described by @Vort above.  You leave enough evidence lying around that you are Mormon, and let your coworkers figure it out and come to you.

When I started investigating the church it was obvious to my co-workers that something changed.  I no longer drank a gallon of coffee or had a beer at office gatherings.  They asked why, I answered truthfully, nobody seemed to care.  Sometimes they ask questions about my other wives, but that's about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/12/2016 at 2:09 PM, DoctorLemon said:

 

I prayed tonight and asked God to help me if he wants me to open my mouth

Can I believe what I am reading? A lawyer who is reluctant to open his mouth? :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't make it a secret that I am a Mormon. I don't "do missionary work" at work, but if I am asked about the church I'll answer, if I am asked for a book of Mormon, I'll provide them one. If they really seem interested, I'll invite them to church, if they do go to church with us, I'll invite them to dinner. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some a lot of great reaction at work where I cannot bring up religion, but i do have a picture of myself and family standing in front of our temple.  It alone generates some interesting conversation with guests and co-workers.  However my biggest way to talk religion (and it started off accidently) was my Boy Scout calling.  Every weekend everyone asks what I had planned.  The answer _ i'm going camping with the boy scout troop from my church.  And all sorts of gospel discussions started from there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MainTour said:

I have some a lot of great reaction at work where I cannot bring up religion, but i do have a picture of myself and family standing in front of our temple.  It alone generates some interesting conversation with guests and co-workers.  However my biggest way to talk religion (and it started off accidently) was my Boy Scout calling.  Every weekend everyone asks what I had planned.  The answer _ i'm going camping with the boy scout troop from my church.  And all sorts of gospel discussions started from there.

 

Callings are a great gateway to Gospel discussions! Just this week, we had New Beginnings on Wednesday night. On Friday, a coworker was chatting with me, and knowing that she's a Lutheran (our small office is open about our various personal religious affiliations) I told her how the musical number they did made me feel because it was a song about being the light of Christ. It provided a nice contrast to earlier, when she gawked at three hours of church with no snacks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tell people at my place of employment if they ask me directly.  Otherwise, they figure it out and end up saying something like, "I knew there was something different about you."  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now