Is sit and stand stroller good idea?

amanda

Hello to all parents who are in this beautiful community. I have two beautiful kids who are 5 years old and 1 years old. Our family loves walking and before having our second child we used to go for an long walks during weekends. No it’s quite difficult to do that because we need two strollers so it’s a little bit inconvenient for us. And my oldest child can’t walk long distances on his own. Because of this reason we decided to buy a sit and stand stroller that should be useful for long family walks. We are searching similar to this one or this one because we like their features. But, sadly, they are a little bit expensive for us. Maybe someone knows cheaper way to buy a stroller similar to those?

Hi, amanda. I have no suggestions for buying a cool new superstroller, but I do have a couple of ideas.

1. Two regular strollers, one per parent. Problem solved.
  2. Teach your five-year-old to enjoy your strolls with you. Maybe he can push the baby for part of the way. Good for him, good for you. Everyone wins.

You could also simply get a double stroller.  They make them so one kid sits behind the other, or they sit next to each other.

As to getting a stroller cheap: I recommend second-hand.  You can watch Craigslist (it's easy to set up a bot to look for updates for you), thrifts stores, second-hand kids stores, or post something on your ward's Facebook page.  I see them pretty regularly at such places for as low as $10.  

Update: I just checked my local Craigslist page-- the exact stroller you linked is on there for $40, good as new.

Edited by Jane_Doe

I don't know about sit and stand.  What I used was a skateboard thingee that hooked up to the stroller.  My eldest loved it.  I can't remember what brand mine was.  I googled and it looks like the Orbit Sidekick where it hooks up to one wheel of the stroller so the big kid is standing to the side of the stroller.

@amanda

We had a sit and stand stroller because all our kids are so close in age.  It was a Graco and looked remarkably like the one you linked to.  It was very much worth it for us.  It worked exactly like one would expect.  

HOWEVER

You need to be cognizant of sizes and dimensions.  The stand feature had no problems.  But when my older child wanted to sit, there really wasn't enough room for the laid back stroller AND have the older child sitting in the back (the sitting position is backwards - so they'd be back to back).

Even considering that, my older child would sit down when he needed to and simply lean forward on his knees.  Uncomfortable, but for the short durations that he really needed it, the intended purpose of the stroller seemed to work.  Most of the time, standing was actually sufficiently restful for him that he didn't need to sit very often.

I can't really help you with the cost issue.  They're expensive.  The Graco at $90 is about as good as you're going to get.  You can try a thrift store.  But because the bottom basket tends to droop and therefor rub, you'd be very lucky to find one at a thrift store.

Back in the day when we bought it, it wasn't so expensive.  Today, yeah, it's a chunk o' change.  But if you go on walks as often as you indicate, then it would probably be worth it.

Edited by Guest