A question for dress code?

dean_frg

So, this Christmas I plan to get a nice tie clip for one of the missionaries in my ward, to thank him for helping me out so much. The tie clip is small, silver, and is basically engraved "Elder Winston" (Winston as an example of a last name).

My concern is, will he be allowed to wear that during his mission? I think missionaries aren't allowed to wear tie clips with characters on them?

Also, what about once he goes home from his mission, could he wear that tie clip to church?? I mean the tie clip does say "Elder" Winston on it and he wouldn't really be an "Elder"/missionary at that point? I know I sound pretty paranoid, but it's just because I assume since missionaries hand in their black name tags at the end of their mission, the title "Elder" is somewhat sacred and only a full time missionary can have this title. 

1 minute ago, dean_frg said:

My bad. Sorry! But.. they can't wear it in public anymore can they?

No worries.  I'm not sure there is any rule that says they can't wear them, I just can't think of a reason off the top of my head as to why they would need to.

13 minutes ago, pam said:

As far as your question regarding the tie clip....I see no reason why you couldn't give him one.  What a great momento of his mission after he got home.

11 minutes ago, zil said:

And he'll still be an Elder when he's released, at least until he's made a High Priest.  I'm with @pam, I think it would make a good gift.

Thank you @pam and @zil for the answers! I'm a bit new to the church and a bit unfamiliar with the titles haha. I just realized the fact that Melchizedek priesthood holders are really all Elders!.. although they aren't personally called Elder [last name] 24/7 unless they're a missionary/general authority/area seventies.

I'll be sure to give it to him. I'm glad you think it's a good gift! :) 

5 minutes ago, dean_frg said:

although they aren't personally called Elder [last name] 24/7 unless they're a missionary/general authority/area seventies.

Sometimes they are: if the person talking to them doesn't know them well, for example.  My bishop always refers to people as Brother, Elder, President, or Sister, never by their first name.  But you're right, Brother is more common than Elder, and lots of people don't use titles at all.

The title "Elder" is appropriate to use for any Melchizedek Priesthood holder.  We simply don't do that commonly out of deference to missionaries and general authorities.  But there would certainly be nothing wrong with a MP holder wearing such a tie clip to church  --  or anywhere else for that matter.

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, zil said:

And he'll still be an Elder when he's released, at least until he's made a High Priest.

From the perspective of Priesthood responsibility, a Priesthood holder never stops being an elder. He may have different responsibilities and may be part of a quorum of high priests, seventies, or apostles, but the duties of an elder are basic to Priesthood. A Priesthood holder ceases to "be" an elder only in the sense that he ceases to be identified with the elders quorum in his ward. In all other respects, the Priesthood holder continues to "be an elder" just as much as he continues to "be a deacon". (Though that comparison is itself a bit stretched, since a deacon does not hold the full Priesthood, whereas an elder does. There is no more Priesthood authority existent upon the earth than that which we give to our eighteen-year-old sons. It is a popular misconception that a high priest somehow holds "more Priesthood" or a "higher calling" than an elder. His office of high priest is a "higher" office in the sense that high priests have more general leadership responsibilities, but there is no more Priesthood authority attached to any office therein over another.)