Church Culture

An Investigator

3 hours ago, askandanswer said:

We even have a few Americans in our ward, that's how open and accepting we are. :)

We had an American in our ward once. Loud fellow, but friendly enough. Once we got him to leave his guns at home and take his cowboy hat off in the chapel, he did fine.

I am glad that your ward has welcomed you! I try hard to be smiling and welcoming to any woman I see, especially someone sitting alone. My rule is that if a woman is sitting alone, I go sit with her. If a woman is going to gospel principles without a friend, then I go with her. But..now we are studying the d&c, I am breaking this rule as I have no idea what is going on in that book, I read it once and was so lost!

i was once in the RS presidency which was a. Drag! I had to nag people to do things. I did it but not fun! I now try for callings that require minimal nagging eg missionary calendar.

2 hours ago, An Investigator said:

Mummy brain

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

This means different things in Britain and in America. Though I suppose both meanings tend toward the same end. :)

I'm still trying to figure out what's so special about mummies and their brains - which I thought were removed before mummification, so, you know, I'm thinking this is a reference to not having a brain.... It's all new to me.

I'm not into zombie stuff either - if they come to my door, I send them over to @mirkwood's.

3 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

But..now we are studying the d&c, I am breaking this rule as I have no idea what is going on in that book, I read it once and was so lost!

I recommend reading the Doctrine and Covenants in conjunction with the History of the Church. The historical background that precedes every section usually contains a reference to a more detailed historical context in the History of the Church. For example, Section 10 contains a reference to History of the Church volume 1, pages 20 - 23. I find that when I read the two together, the Doctrine and Covenants usually makes a lot more sense.  

1 hour ago, An Investigator said:

@Sunday21 I'm going to read through the D & C institute manual this year to help me now I've finished the Book of Mormon one.   Ive never read the Doctrine and Covenants so it should be interesting. 

Glad we are doing this together! Quite exciting because this is a recent part of history. I am hoping that it will be easy to imagine ourselves in these situations. Also, from what I have read, it seems that quite a bit of the text are quotations directly from Jehovah. Am I right about this, scholarly people? The God in the D&C is Jehovah? (Former atheist here!) So if these are quotes from Jevovah, reading this book will be like hearing the voice of Jesus! We will get insights into how He thinks and feels! Amazing!

2 hours ago, askandanswer said:

I recommend reading the Doctrine and Covenants in conjunction with the History of the Church. The historical background that precedes every section usually contains a reference to a more detailed historical context in the History of the Church. For example, Section 10 contains a reference to History of the Church volume 1, pages 20 - 23. I find that when I read the two together, the Doctrine and Covenants usually makes a lot more sense.  

Thanks so much! Great tip! I found this resource on line.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2016 at 3:29 AM, Vort said:

If I understand her correctly, @An Investigator was saying that her husband was a feminist-studying Buddhist and member of the Labour Party. We wouldn't think of discriminating against a woman whose husband was those awful things.

Well, I guess this is what happens when we try and insert punctuation where it may or may not have been intended. I read the line as follows:

"  I am an educated lady, married to a Buddhist <comma> who <meaning herself, not her husband> studied feminism at uni and is a member of the Labour party in the UK.

Not that it really matters - but just to clarify, what was your meaning 'An Investigator'?  Is it you who has studied feminism at uni and is a member of the Labour Party? Or your Buddhist husband?