Mormon Tabernacle Choir singer quits because she claims Trump represents tyranny and fascism

1 hour ago, paracaidista508 said:

In another thread this performance was alleged to be all about patriotism...not in this lady's eyes apparently.

A liberal in the MTC.  Interesting.  While many conservatives may have objected to singing for Trump -- dismissing the argument that it is simply an act of patriotism and an effort to try to bring the country together, the reasoning she used was clearly a liberal argument.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

She lost me with the Hitler reference. Sad when you go there. Other than that, I support her right to do this 100%. 

None of us disagree with her right to quit if she doesn't like the venue. What many of us object to is the public way she has done it. Just like the vomitous SL Tribulation likes.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Vort said:

None of us disagree with her right to quit if she doesn't like the venue. What many of us object to is the public way she has done it. Just like the vomitous SL Tribulation likes.

Yup, totally agree. No one on this thread is being disagreeable or rude in any way, shape or form. Just expressing their opinion. 

22 minutes ago, Vort said:

The Deseret News didn't seem to mind writing about it too.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865670182/Female-member-of-the-Mormon-Tabernacle-Choir-resigns-rather-than-sing-at-Trumps-inauguration.html

M.

26 minutes ago, Backroads said:

Where is the list defining what is and is not supporting a president you don't like?

Well, his salary1 is paid by our taxes, so, um....

1 And the cost of his mere existence...  For example, when Clinton came to Moscow, the plane that carries his motorcade vehicles couldn't land at the main airport in Moscow (runway wouldn't take it) - it had to land at Domodedovo (the virtual end of the world there), and it took two box trucks and all the embassy laborers to get their luggage to the hotel; a significant number of people on the plane got on the plane because they knew someone, and spent their time in Moscow using government-rented cars to go sight-seeing - we rented every rental car in Moscow which wasn't already reserved... barely slept for a week, didn't sleep for two days straight; a two-day stay took weeks to plan - trust me, the president's existence is far more expensive than we can imagine.

For your viewing pleasure, here's two Russian security guys on the roof of a building across from the hotel, waiting for the motorcade to arrive (our guys were on the ground and on the roof of the hotel).

scan0001.jpg

Edited by zil

Guest MormonGator
18 minutes ago, yjacket said:

She really needs to study history before throwing those types of accusations around. We may get there one day, but we aren't there yet.

If you compare anyone but Hitler to Hitler you show a truly appalling ignorance of basic, basic history. Totally agree  

26 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

If you compare anyone but Hitler to Hitler you show a truly appalling ignorance of basic, basic history. Totally agree  

In modern history, I think Mao and Stalin can reasonably be compared to Hitler. And Pol Pot. And Abimael Guzmán (Shining Path) and Che Guevara, in moral turpitude and blood lust if not in actual numbers. Kim Jong-il and his son Kim Jong-un also lack the body count of the first three, but in moral and ethical terms can certainly be compared. No, I take it back; I would have preferred to have been a German in World War II than to be a North Korean at any time under the Kims.

Hitler may have been a megalomaniacal monster, but he did not intentionally pursue an end that he knew would be destructive to those he considered his own people, as the Kims (and Mao, and Stalin) did. When all is said and done, I bet we find out there are any number of people, famous and unknown, who were much more horrible than Adolph Hitler.

Edited by Vort

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Vort said:

. No, I take it back; I would have preferred to have been a German in World War II than to be a North Korean at any time under the Kims.

I'm not saying I agree, but I don't disagree either. Have you read "Nothing to Envy" by Barbra Demick? Horrific. 

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Vort said:

Never. I might give it a go.

Than read "Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader" by Bradley Martin and finally, "The Aquariums of Pyongyang" by Kang Chol-Hwan. 

I have a thing for books about North Korea. 

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I read this book. Aweful!

Remember the scene where she writes about the little girl who said "The great marshall is dead!" on the day Kim Il-Sung died? Heartbreaking to show the devotion these people had to that monster. The "Fade to Black" chapter is also particularly chilling. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

@MormonGator Remember how upset people in NK were when that fiend died? The endless tears? And that guy was so despicable!

The book is disturbing. The real world can be a scary and violent place. 

40 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

@MormonGator Remember how upset people in NK were when that fiend died? The endless tears? And that guy was so despicable!

It's called brainwashing, and all but a very small percentage are susceptible to it (you cannot brainwash someone who is clinically OCD - at least, that was the last research I read).

No one mentioned Hirohito.  I went through the WWII Museum in NOLA.  I really have to wonder why people gave him a free pass and put all of history's hatred onto Hitler.  The Japanese caused genocide/democide is estimated at around 6 million civilians throughout WWII.  Wide estimates are 3.5 mil to 10 mil.

Edited by Guest

• pam featured this topic
1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

No one mentioned Hirohito.  I went through the WWII Museum in NOLA.  I really have to wonder why people gave him a free pass and put all of history's hatred onto Hitler.  The Japanese caused genocide/democide is estimated at around 6 million civilians throughout WWII.  Wide estimates are 3.5 mil to 10 mil.

Probably because Hirohito was viewed as a weak man and, in essence, a puppet of the Japanese generals and admirals, unwilling and/or unable to make any decisions beyond ratifying what the brass wanted.

Stupid, on multiple levels.  Trump, for all his detestable qualities, is no Hitler.  There's only space for about 2/3 of the choir on the platform, so she could have easily opted out without resigning.  And, if the Church wants to make a statement with Motab that's its prerogative; but as a Motab member don't try to hijack the institution for your own political ends.

• pam unfeatured this topic