Temple Recommend Interview Help

I am a convert. I have been thru a temple recommend interview only one time. When I did I simply answered yes or no to the questions. Then when I was asked for my testimony I gave simple I believe statements like when young kids go up front on fast/testimony Sundays and give their testimony. I'm very quiet and don't say much. I'm also not good with words. Am I suppose to say more than yes or no during the questions? How long is my testimony suppose to be? I know what a testimony is but I don't know how much to include especially during a temple recommend interview. When I think of testimony I think of saying a short sentence about what I know to be true about God, Jesus Christ, Holy Ghost, Joseph Smith, TSM, the other general authority, church of JC of LDS, BOM, the gospel and....I don't know what else. Is that too much or too little? 

Hi @DesertLily and welcome to the forums!  And more importantly welcome to Christ's Church!!!

49 minutes ago, DesertLily said:

Am I suppose to say more than yes or no during the questions? 

Yes or no is fine.

49 minutes ago, DesertLily said:

How long is my testimony suppose to be? I know what a testimony is but I don't know how much to include especially during a temple recommend interview. When I think of testimony I think of saying a short sentence about what I know to be true about God, Jesus Christ, Holy Ghost, Joseph Smith, TSM, the other general authority, church of JC of LDS, BOM, the gospel and....I don't know what else. Is that too much or too little? 

Your testimony is your own.  If you are a person of pithy powerful words, then let that be.  Speak as your heart and the Spirit dictate, and don't feel like you have to be anything else.

8 hours ago, DesertLily said:

I think of testimony I think of saying a short sentence about what I know to be true about God, Jesus Christ, Holy Ghost, Joseph Smith, TSM, the other general authority, church of JC of LDS, BOM, the gospel

Hallelujah!  Far too many people bear their storymony, thankimony, travelmony, preachimony, gratimony, love-imony, or even joke-imony when they ought to be bearing a testimony.  What you just described is a testimony.  Thank you.

99% of the time, I answer those questions with simple yes / no type statements.  Sometimes I'll ask a question about my interpretation of the question / answer, because I've had a new thought in that regard, but otherwise, it's yes / no - which I think is entirely appropriate for a temple recommend interview.

12 hours ago, DesertLily said:

When I did I simply answered yes or no to the questions. Then when I was asked for my testimony 

I always answer a simple yes/no.  I've never been told that's inappropriate.  Every once in a while the interviewer will ask for more detail on one thing or another.  I answer it.

There is no need to elaborate more than what they ask.  Don't be short to the level of rudeness, of course.  But They often have a lot of interviews and don't seek to make an interview any longer than needful.

I've never been asked for my testimony beyond the standard questions which I answer yes/no as appropriate.  But if I were, I'd give a simple testimony that I know these things...

It may be that since you're a recent convert they wanted to get a better feel of how you're doing in the faith.

Edited by Guest