Is anyone else getting a different male voice in scriptures on Gospel Library?

ldsister

37 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

In the Book of Mormon, I have a different woman's voice. I wish they had not removed the manuals. I have to go to lds,org for the manuals. I just read the 1st section of the D&C, the voice of Jehovah. Our big brother! Imagine that! I have chills. I said a prayer of thanks!

The manuals are there.  There is a setting to hide what hasn't been downloaded.  There's a setting to only download when you're connected to WiFi (as opposed to the cellular network).  You may need to go in and check the various settings, and choose to download more of the library, but the manuals are all there.

Edited by zil

1 hour ago, ldsister said:

Yesterday in church when I opened my Gospel Library app, there were all sorts of updates. Today when I went to listen to my scriptures, the voice was new! Has anyone else noticed this change? 

A short Church-literature-reading anecdote:

Some years ago, I listened to a reading of Talmage's Jesus the Christ as offered on lds.org. I appreciated that it was made freely available, but I was disappointed that the quality of the reading was so low. The reader clearly didn't understand much of what he read; this was exacerbated by Elder Talmage's fondness for long, convoluted sentences and big words. Along with that, I downloaded all the scriptures and listened to them over the course of a year or so. The Old Testament was almost unbearable (which after the Talmage reading was not unexpected), but the other books of scripture were pretty good.

One glaring problem (in the sense that it stood out; it was only a minor issue) that I noted was the mispronunciation of "paradisiacal" in the Articles of Faith; the reader pronounced it "pair-ad-icicle" instead of "pair-odd-dih-sigh-uh-kl", or "-zai-uh-kl" if you're English). Since the Articles of Faith are pretty often cited by Church members and therefore pretty visible, I decided it was worth mentioning. So I emailed the Church office responsible for the readings and let them know that the word was being mispronounced. They responded with a very polite email thanking me so much for bringing the issue to their attention. About two years later, I was surfing through Church stuff and came upon the recorded Articles of Faith, and decided to take a listen to see if they had corrected it. Nope.

Just went to lds.org to check the new reading. Pair-ad-icicle. Oh, well. I suppose if you continue mispronouncing a word, after a couple of centuries the mispronunciation may eventually become the accepted "correct" pronunciation. Noam Chomsky in action.

1 hour ago, zil said:

The manuals are there.  There is a setting to hide what hasn't been downloaded.  There's a setting to only download when you're connected to WiFi (as opposed to the cellular network).  You may need to go in and check the various settings, and choose to download more of the library, but the manuals are all there.

Thank you @zil ! I found the Sunday School manual under library under lessons.

you can change the gender of the voice under library under tips, select preferred voice.

Edited by Sunday21