Who thinks the Word of Wisdom needs updating?

On 1/3/2017 at 7:17 PM, priesthoodpower said:

Considering 600,000 americans die from heart disease (diet related) and only 160,000 die from lung cancer (tobacco) doesnt it make sense for our word of wisdom be updated?

When the Author of the Word of Wisdom agrees, it will be.  Until then, the answer is "no."

One of my early questions to the missionaries was, could I still drink diet Pepsi? I might have to go less active if I couldn't have this one bright light in my life. :(  I think people should be able to choose if they want soda. I don't think states, cities, or the Church should make that decision for people - though I do think if the government is paying for your food, a la food stamps, then you give up your choices and you take what the government says you can get.

I know that there have been Church leaders that have come out in favor of vegetarianism. I don't know why there hasn't been more support for this line of thinking, especially since we do have a WOW and aren't talking about creating one from scratch.  I'd be in favor of changing the WOW to emphasize not eating meat. I think we should be more like the Seventh Day Adventist in this regard - that it is expected that you'd be vegetarian and those who aren't are in the minority (I'm not sure I'd have people lose their recommend for eating a burger, but I would like to see more veg food at ward functions).

I'm sure somene will say, "You want to keep your diet Pepsi, but you want others to stop eating meat. Isn't that hypocritical?"  I dunno. Maybe. I know I haven't killed a pig or cow to get that soda. And I know that I grow in compassion (or at least that's the hope) when I think of other sentient beings and their right to life and decide not to eat them. 

29 minutes ago, dahlia said:

I know that there have been Church leaders that have come out in favor of vegetarianism.

Huh? Who?

Seems an odd thing as the scriptures are explicit in stating that abstaining entirely from meat is not good.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

Guest LiterateParakeet
37 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Huh? Who?

Seems an odd thing as the scriptures are explicit in stating that abstaining entirely from meat is not good.

I think if you can find a list of their names if you google. I'd do it for you but its hard to cut and paste on my phone.  

As you might know, whether or not it is appropriate to be a Mormon vegetarian is a highly debated topic. Those in favor of vegetarianism have lists of Leaders who chose this lifestyle and quotes. 

I don't want to get in a debate about it--I'm not vegetarian, so I would feel like a hypocrite, but generally the idea is that we are not to tell others that meat is forbidden. We are supposed to eat it if necessary to sustain life, which for most people in our modern culture would be rare. Still that would be the rational for "not forbidding" someone to eat meat. 

*I would be vegetarian, but I'm weak. I'm working on it.

Edited by LiterateParakeet

The problems of health in this country are not that much of a consideration of eating meat.  Even the most adamant vegetarians realize that there are other more pressing health related eating problems. 

Let me put this another way.  My father use to always say that when seeking advice – seek first from the most successful example you can find.  If someone is interested in health – it is no secret that the greatest health problem is overweight.  A problem that is rooted in a variety of things of which the Word of Wisdom is only a part.

It is my personal point of view that the word of wisdom is more a matter of spiritual discipline than it is physically defined.  I also believe that in most cases where individuals think the Word of Wisdom needs updating – is because the spiritual discipline has never been achieved.

The Traveler

On 1/3/2017 at 5:17 PM, priesthoodpower said:

...Doesnt Satan want us to be slaves to our bodies yet religion gives us commandments to follow that help prevent that from happening? Most commandants are over 100 years old and older.

1 A Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion—

2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—

3 Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.

The word of wisdom does not exclude principles of a good diet either. 

On 1/14/2017 at 3:54 PM, skalenfehl said:

1 A Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion—

2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—

3 Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.

The word of wisdom does not exclude principles of a good diet either. 

Why are you emphasizing that phrase?

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Why are you emphasizing that phrase?

Note that that phrase was not a part of the revelation per se. If Joseph Smith did not originally send it as a commandment, that doesn't mean the Saints under Brigham Young could not have accepted it as such later on.

5 minutes ago, Vort said:

Note that that phrase was not a part of the revelation per se. If Joseph Smith did not originally send it as a commandment, that doesn't mean the Saints under Brigham Young could not have accepted it as such later on.

I was just wondering why he emphasized that phrase when it really had nothing to do with the conversation or thread.

On 1/4/2017 at 3:19 PM, Larry Cotrell said:

I am not arguing that legalization won't happen, just that I wish it didn't. I realize that it is inevitable that it will be legal all across the nation before too long. 

My biggest worry with legalizing marijuana and gay marriage is what's next? Cocaine? Marrying Relatives?

Maybe even marrying more than one woman will be legalized...heaven help us

On 1/3/2017 at 10:29 PM, askandanswer said:

If there was to be an update to the WOW, it might be to clarify whether or not its ok to use medically prescribed marijuana. I suspect there are a variety of opinions and practices amongst members on this question based on differing interpretations of the WOW and some clarification might be helpful. 

Why would the wow need to clarify? Morphine is derived from opium which is a naturally occurring substance. Plenty of mormons popping pills prescribed by a dr. And no one blinks an eye. It is extremely addictive though.

When med marijuana is appropriate for me I'll be on it for sure. I suffer from chronic pain from blast injuries to bones and internal organs. Don't take anything for it for ten yrs now because pain killers prevent me from working and frankly I'm extremely susceptible to addiction to them. I love them so I dont even ask the dr for them. Mj will be welcome relief as minimal as it will be.

12 hours ago, skalenfehl said:

Carborendum, did you read the OP? Please reread my quote of the OP to get context. 

I read it.  I also read your quotation of it with the bolded words.

But you're emphasizing a phrase that has been prophetically modified since its first utterance.  We don't alter the words because of historicity.  But we know it has been changed.  Since you're reticent to answer the question, I now have license to assume the worst of your opinion -- that you don't believe Brigham Young was a Prophet, nor that he was correct in making that change.

10 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I read it.  I also read your quotation of it with the bolded words.

But you're emphasizing a phrase that has been prophetically modified since its first utterance.  We don't alter the words because of historicity.  But we know it has been changed.  Since you're reticent to answer the question, I now have license to assume the worst of your opinion -- that you don't believe Brigham Young was a Prophet, nor that he was correct in making that change.

I have no problem with you assuming the worst of what you perceive to be my opinion. 

13 hours ago, skalenfehl said:

I have no problem with you assuming the worst of what you perceive to be my opinion. 

Great.  Another Snufferite.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, skalenfehl said:

Or as good as? Whatever all  that means. Now you're trolling me with an accusation. How Christlike of you.

I thought you said you had no problem with me assuming the worst of you,

• pam unfeatured this topic