It's snow crazy in Idaho right now!

I live in the greater Boise area, where usually we get at most an inch or two of snow, and it's melted off within a couple of days. Since Christmas week, we've gotten several inches. Today alone at least 8. and it's still coming down.

People keep saying we're whiners, try living in Wisconsin or Utah or Colorado. The difference is, our infrastructure can't handle it. There aren't enough plows and they can't keep up. They do not plow neighborhood streets, and if you bring in a skid steer to plow your own, you can get sued for any damage done. I've gotten stuck 3 times today, twice in my neighborhood. It's madness! I'm not sure how I'll get to work in the morning. It's snow day #3 for the kids.

In upstate New York, it was not unusual to get 2 feet of snow overnight.  They had infrastructure galore - 10 snow plows in a staggered diagonal clearing the entire freeway at freeway speeds....  In Oklahoma, one snowflake or hailstone lasts long enough for someone to observe them, and everyone runs home (after going to the grocery store) and doesn't come again out until it's thawed.  Apparently the greater Boise area can't decide which way they should react, so you get to suffer from societal hemming and hawing1.

1 Now I think I need to go listen to a song that actually uses the phrase "hem and haw".

They actually suggested we stop being lazy and get our snow shovels out. It took 2 hours to shovel my driveway and another, and I'm supposed to shovel our residential streets, too? 

1 minute ago, Eowyn said:

They actually suggested we stop being lazy and get our snow shovels out. It took 2 hours to shovel my driveway and another, and I'm supposed to shovel our residential streets, too? 

As near as I can tell, a couple of neighbors who happen to have plows for their trucks are the only ones who ever plow my street (hooray for government!).  As for shovel - buy a snow blower.  In my experience, they perform their primary function (preventing snow from falling) for the first year or two.  After that, you generally have to use them for their secondary function (blowing snow).

44 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

I live in the greater Boise area, where usually we get at most an inch or two of snow, and it's melted off within a couple of days. Since Christmas week, we've gotten several inches. Today alone at least 8. and it's still coming down.

People keep saying we're whiners, try living in Wisconsin or Utah or Colorado. The difference is, our infrastructure can't handle it. There aren't enough plows and they can't keep up. They do not plow neighborhood streets, and if you bring in a skid steer to plow your own, you can get sued for any damage done. I've gotten stuck 3 times today, twice in my neighborhood. It's madness! I'm not sure how I'll get to work in the morning. It's snow day #3 for the kids.

I am sorry for your troubles! But how do you get stuck in 2 inches of snow?

1 minute ago, Sunday21 said:

I am sorry for your troubles! But how do you get stuck in 2 inches of snow?

It was at least 10 accumulated inches today. This is the first day that's been a problem. The last couple of weeks it's just been slick roads, now we can't get anywhere at all.

2 hours ago, Eowyn said:

I agree that it's more of a place's ability to handle the snow (infrastructure and know-how) that matters than the volume of snow itself.  We've had over a foot today in WY, which isn't too unusual.  The thing is though, the city of 30k doesn't own a single snow plow!  I thought that was SO stupid when I first moved here, and grubbed about it for the hour I shovel my walkway.  Then I turned around, my the wind had already blown an inch of snow on my walkway!  

So yeah, there's no point in shoveling here.  Instead they just issue a "no unnecessary travel decree", and everyone just stays home for while.  Soup night! 

16 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

We're getting hit pretty hard in Denver.  Overnight low is predicted to be -1 and with wind chill about -12.

I didn't know you were in Denver!  That's my hometown (Arvada) where most of my friends and family live still.

As the the -1F, that's warm!  We got -25 with windchill here tonight. 

1 minute ago, Jane_Doe said:

I didn't know you were in Denver!  That's my hometown (Arvada) where most of my friends and family live still.

As the the -1F, that's warm!  We got -25 with windchill here tonight. 

I'm visiting family for the holidays.  I'm heading back to Houston when the snow hopefully stops this Friday.

I'm still hoping for a snow day. Cities north of us cancelled school and it's snowing and my husband is in Tennessee so I have no one to shovel my driveway because I'm a spoiled princess who will whine about doing it myself and the kid across the street goes to school really really early.

Besides, at my school, if you don't live within 3 blocks you live up in Ogden Valley. Those kids probably can't get down the canyon. Hopefully.

Teachers like snow days, too.

Edited by Backroads

12 hours ago, Godless said:

This is literally the most snow accumulation I've ever seen in 10 years of living in San Antonio. This was about three years ago.

FB_IMG_1483588303461.jpg

That's not snow.  That's graupel.