It's snow crazy in Idaho right now!

I went to the large town north of us that has all of the stores today. Figured the icy roads were done with 'cause the snow sure was done.

Well, I get to within 12 miles (half way) of town center and all of the puddles, the water in the ditches along the road are all frozen. I stop at my favorite restaurant to eat before I hit the stores to shop for groceries. Every car parked there has icicles hanging off one side - the north side. My dashboard in the car says 29 degrees F. The wind is freezing! I wore layers today. A long sleeve top under a nurses smock, knit knee highs and jeans. That wind hit clear to the bone.

At least the roads are dry, as are the parking lots. But the cars have icicles one them! I spend over an hour at Walmart - the stoopid management re-arrange the aisles without changing the signs hanging from the ceiling.

At Safeway I have to backtrack in nearly every aisle as the families of the Dungeness Crabbing fleet are in the stores stocking up on EVERYTHING except fish and pet supplies. By the time I am done it is 4:15 pm and getting dark. I am really worried that the temp is going to drop into the teens. I overhear one of the crabbers saying how the weather forecast is for the temp to hit 49, the winds to drop to 10 mph out of the east and the rains are to hit around midnight. 

Sure enough the closer I got the home, the warmer it got. By the time I pulled into my parking spot it was 42. No wind and no rain.

On the way home, out on the ocean were most of the crabbing vessels, they had set their pots at 8 AM Saturday morning. It's good to have the strike over with and a fair price $2.875 set.

I have always loved the snow. The more, the better! I could always dress for the cold--put on layers etc. Driving in snow didn't bother me too much, unless it was white-out conditions. But, this year, I am having a harder time with the cold temperatures. Maybe I'm getting too old to tolerate it any longer? I'm eagerly anticipating Spring--not Summer. I have never liked hot Summer temperatures. I just seem to melt when it's hot outside. Last August, we were visiting Canyonlands National Park, and I physically got ill from the heat. When I was a teenager living in St. George, UT, I would on occasion get ill from the heat. I remember walking outside one day, and nearly fainting as the heat hit me. I literally had to grab onto the porch railing or I would have dropped to the ground. I have a son moving to Southern Utah in the next few months. He tells my husband and me to move with him. I wouldn't mind, except I can't handle the heat.

On 1/8/2017 at 7:15 PM, classylady said:

I have always loved the snow. The more, the better! I could always dress for the cold--put on layers etc. Driving in snow didn't bother me too much, unless it was white-out conditions. But, this year, I am having a harder time with the cold temperatures. Maybe I'm getting too old to tolerate it any longer? I'm eagerly anticipating Spring--not Summer. I have never liked hot Summer temperatures. I just seem to melt when it's hot outside. Last August, we were visiting Canyonlands National Park, and I physically got ill from the heat. When I was a teenager living in St. George, UT, I would on occasion get ill from the heat. I remember walking outside one day, and nearly fainting as the heat hit me. I literally had to grab onto the porch railing or I would have dropped to the ground. I have a son moving to Southern Utah in the next few months. He tells my husband and me to move with him. I wouldn't mind, except I can't handle the heat.

Heh.  I grew up in central California and desperately wanted to serve my mission somewhere cold, for a change.  So I got called to the Amazon basin.

I just took a job in the Uintah basin and am house-sitting for a friend whose house sits on a two-acre lot outside of town, on top of a hill with a 500 foot gravel driveway.  In the last four days I've gotten stuck on that dag-blasted driveway twice, and I think I've had enough snow for the next couple of years . . .

Edited by Just_A_Guy

• 2 weeks later...

My first snow day in this particular city area since the 6th grade. Oh the joy. Especially since I have a sick baby and my own cold coming on. Yesterday, I actually printed and copied all supplies for a lesson plan and left it on my desk.

It seems only the charters and private schools are all-out cancelling. Most likely because we rely on parents braving the roads to get the kids here.

On 1/11/2017 at 7:16 AM, Just_A_Guy said:

On 1/11/2017 at 7:16 AM, Just_A_Guy said:

Heh.  I grew up in central California and desperately wanted to serve my mission somewhere cold, for a change.  So I got called to the Amazon basin.

That's a pretty big basin. Whereabouts? :)