It's snow crazy in Idaho right now!

12 hours ago, Carborendum said:

We're getting hit pretty hard in Denver.  Overnight low is predicted to be -1 and with wind chill about -12.

Here in Colorado Springs, we got barely anything worth mentioning.  Usually, we get what Denver gets 2 hours later.  And what Utah gets, 12 hours later.  I think our time is coming.

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Here in Colorado Springs, we got barely anything worth mentioning.  Usually, we get what Denver gets 2 hours later.  And what Utah gets, 12 hours later.  I think our time is coming.

Except I think our storms are heading south instead of east.  At least the last couple of them.  They came down from Idaho and heading down to So. Utah.

My kids bring global warming everywhere they go.  I bet if I send them over your way, your snow will melt.

Most every year we go "snow hunting".  One year, we went to my aunt's about an hour northeast of Cleveland.  The whole time I lived there (3 winters worth) we always had a white Christmas.  I bring my kids to Cleveland - 3 times - green grass on Christmas.  So we drive from Cleveland all the way to Niagara looking for snow... bright and sunshiny all the way there.  So, one year, we were scheduled to go to Cleveland again but my aunt and I had a miscommunication on the schedule and we ended up spending Christmas with my uncles in New Jersey.  My uncle called me right when we were leaving Florida telling me there's so much snow on the ground and it's still falling.  We were soooo excited.  We reached Pennsylvania and my husband decided to tour Philadelphia.  We spent 2 days there.  We finally reached New Jersey and... green grass.  It was 65 degrees for 2 days causing all the snow to melt.  We stayed a week.  No snow.  Meanwhile, my aunt was buried in snow in Cleveland.  One year we went to New Hampshire.  My cousin assured me we will experience snow in New Hampshire.  We got there.  Green grass.  So she took us to the ski slopes.  They were blowing snow out of snow machines so they can run the kiddie slopes and the tubing...

So, this year, we were scheduled to go to New Jersey again.  2 weeks before Christmas, my mom had to go into surgery so I ended up in Texas.  Meanwhile, New Jersey got buried in snow.

Anyway, this is Florida today:

Winter-in-Florida1.jpg

47 minutes ago, Vort said:

How difficult was it for you to adjust to Fahrenheit?

Weatherwise... a few weeks.  It was easy to adjust to 60 is cold 90 is warm and I'm an 80's kinda gal when I landed in San Francisco in the Fall.

Fever-wise... I was at least 2 years in the US when I told the nurse I had 95 degrees fever.  I didn't realize my thermometer was off a few degrees.

37 minutes ago, Maureen said:

@anatess2, get your sons on a plane to Boise, Idaho, stat. Their powers are in need. Remember, with great power comes great responsibility. :)

M.

Here's New Hampshire a few years ago and their snow-machine-snow-filled tubing line.  My kids had more fun on the no-snow needed one.  Hah hah.

http://vid314.photobucket.com/albums/ll412/anatess07/miscellaneous/9D37C69E-4E22-471F-8FCC-34E4364098AE_zpsimynbjim.mp4

Yesterday we had snow on the Central Oregon Coast, clear down to the ocean. The nasty stuff stuck and stayed stuck for most of the day. The amount of the stuff varied in inches too. My friend who lived on the street behind me had 4" while I had barely 2". Schools were closed, and pretty much everyone who lived up by the church were stuck at home with a foot of snow. No, we don't have snow plows. The last good snow we had - stuff that stuck for more than 8 hours - was back in Feb of 2014. Snowed for several days, but the accumulation wasn't much over an inch or two.

We are on the Pacific Ocean for heaven's sake. Back in 2014, one of my neighbors (the only one who is a member of the church & is also active) called us saying they didn't have any food. I went through the list of Q & A: Do you have soup? Frozen meat? Real potatoes? What canned/frozen foods do you have? Turns out they were out of bread, milk, & real potatoes. The teen son was jonesing because he could fill up on bread, pbutter and 1/2 gal of milk. Poor kid. I wrote down the recipe for baking powder biscuits and told her to send her kid to come pick it up.

They could eat for three months on what was in their cupboards & freezer - but she didn't have enough flour to make more than a batch of biscuits every other day.

The snow yesterday started after her husband left for work at 7:15 AM and stopped by the time I woke up at 10 AM. His parking spot in front of their house had as much snow at the yard area.

This morning at 4ish AM I got up to get another quilt to cover me, I checked on the outside temp, 20 degrees Fahrenheit. This is not normal for the Oregon coast. At least the snow is gone except for a few rare patches. The roads are clear and DRY. School is in session except for one where there was a landslide and the road is closed - can't get to the school at all.

We get snow here seldom. The county doesn't feel it is enough to purchase plows and neither do us citizens. Only once has the snow shut every down along the southern section of the county. It was in 1999 - and we had an accumulation of 4 feet with temps not rising above 34 degrees F. This was in November - so there wasn't enough sunlit hours to even melt let along DRY the roads. After nearly three weeks, it warmed up to the 40's, and then rained for a week. That got rid of the snow and ice.

I feel for all of you who are having to deal with unaccustomed snow and icy conditions.

1 hour ago, Eowyn said:

This is what we possibly have facing us over the next week. :(

His list should include big dogs for those who don't have fireplaces / wood-burning stoves.  Get a few big dogs surrounding you / on top of you, and you'll be nice and warm. :)  And topping off the gas in the car.

On 1/4/2017 at 10:16 PM, Jane_Doe said:

So yeah, there's no point in shoveling here.  Instead they just issue a "no unnecessary travel decree", and everyone just stays home for while.  Soup night! 

I wish my last boss understood that was the decree I was making whenever it snowed too heavy! Turns out "my bed needs me" is also not a good excuse for calling off on a snowy day.

Sorry Eowyn that you've got so much snow! Here in Susquehanna PA we've had a fairly consistent winter the last 2 years. Normally right around now, Mother Nature is trying to decide whether she wants to commit to spring or still flirt a little. We have a fairly good system, although I live on a country road, so, the plows don't always get to us as soon as everybody else. Thank heavens for freelance! :D I don't have to worry about getting anywhere on time anymore! Also, a lot of times around here, the weather predictions end up being way more dire than the actual event, so, hopefully if you gotta prepare, that it ends up not being all that bad.

On 1/4/2017 at 6:40 PM, zil said:

Of course, your other option is to use shoveling as an excuse not to do your usual exercise routine that day.  As far as I'm concerned, shoveling is the exercise routine. :)

I used walking through a few blocks of unshoveled snow as my exercise routine on Thursday.

Guest MormonGator
21 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

I bet MormonGator is laughing at us because we have to deal with snow and he's in warm Florida.

We drove home from Gainesville today and the car said it was 39 degrees. Yikes! 

I do confess to feelings of schadenfreude when I see people from up north post pictures of their backyard covered with snow.