Favorite church songs!

a mustard seed

Hey, so, coming back to church has been an exciting venture in many respects but especially with the re-acquisition of music I remember I used to love. I'm trying to accumulate a playlist for myself of the songs that I remember liking and really enjoy now.

"Love One Another"

"I Stand All Amazed"

"Because I Have Been Given Much"

"Scripture Power"

"How Great Thou Art"

"Army of Helaman"

"Gethsemane"

"A Child's Prayer"

"Born is the Light of the World"

"O Come, O Come, Emmanuel"

"He Sent His Son"

"Lord, I Would Follow Thee"

"Teach Me To Walk in the Light"

"Keep the Commandments"

"If the Savior Stood Beside Me"

I go to the Susquehanna Branch and Priesthood Restoration Site for church and the past 2 years(I think; could be longer), the sister missionaries who were called to serve there all happened to be musically inclined and musically trained. So, very often, on Sundays, or for firesides and holidays, the 10-12 sisters would sing music for the congregation. I got to enjoy this in the 4 months I've been back, so, a couple of these might not necessarily be hymns.

But you can kind of sense a trend in my tastes. Very upbeat or very deep lyrics. Some of these songs tend to be a lot of people's favorites. I wanted to find more through suggestions by people or to just talk about music in church in general. What are your favorite church songs? They can be hymns, primary songs, lds created songs, old music, newer music, anything!

Edit: Adding to my list:

"Be Still My Soul"

"Did You Think To Pray"

"There's Sunshine In My Soul"

"I Love to See the Temple"

"Book of Mormon Stories"

"As I Search the Holy Scriptures"

"Called to Serve"

"How Firm a Foundation"

Edited by a mustard seed

Lead, Kindly Light

If The Savior Stood Beside Me

Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy (maybe my very favorite, but also for sentimental reasons)

I Need Thee Every Hour

The Spirit of God

17 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

Lead, Kindly Light

If The Savior Stood Beside Me

Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy (maybe my very favorite, but also for sentimental reasons)

I Need Thee Every Hour

The Spirit of God

Ah, yes! I remember Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy! Wonderful song! I think I Need Thee Every Hour is another one I like too. I've never heard Lead, Kindly Light or Spirit of God before but they're beautiful!

"Be Still, My Soul" :D

I look forward to this song when we sing it at church, I can't recall a time that I didn't feel the Spirit at this part, thinking about whatever trials/issues/concerns we have... be still... God is still in control of things:

...Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below...

1 hour ago, NeedleinA said:

"Be Still, My Soul" :D

I look forward to this song when we sing it at church, I can't recall a time that I didn't feel the Spirit at this part, thinking about whatever trials/issues/concerns we have... be still... God is still in control of things:

...Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below...

Thank you for sharing this! :D I was really overwhelmed while listening to it and I think it may be a new favorite of mine!

Oh look, I still have the email (cuz I so wasn't gonna retype it).  This does not by any means represent all the hymns I actually like, just the list of those I can't exclude from my list of favorites...  I'll prepend to it the hymns I like that aren't in the regular hymnal (not necessarily in order):

1. This rendition of Angels from The Realms of Glory (which you can download free)
2. Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing
3. Simple Gifts (the Shaker hymn)
4. Pretty much everything on this CD (Noel, MoTab)
5. Bringing in the Sheaves
6. The Church in the Wildwood
7. Beautiful Savior (children's hymnbook)

Quoting my email (it was 3 he asked for, not 10):

I'm going to cheat and give one set for holidays and one set for non-holidays:
Holidays:
1. 205: Once in Royal David's City
   (it's beautiful, but we never sing it)
2. 212: Far, Far Away on Judea's Plains
   (ditto #1, and it's the only Christmas hymn in the book by a Mormon!)
3. 338: America the Beautiful
   (too few people understand the words of this one)

Non-Holidays:
1. 292: O My Father
2. 284: If You Could Hie to Kolob
   (There is no end to my reasons, but "Hie" and "Kolob" are among them)
3. 85: How Firm a Foundation

(PS: I've now decided you're cruel.  I mean really, only 3 hymns?  See PPS for further clarification.)

PPS:
Ones that were almost #3:
125: How Gentle God's Commands
172: In Humility, Our Savior
217: Come, Let Us Anew (needs drums)
319: Ye Elders of Israel (the men should have to sing this to us at least once a month)

Honorable Mentions:
27: Praise to the Man (esp. if you can get pipes and drums to accompany us)
29: A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief
44: Beautiful Zion, Build Above
52: The Day Dawn Is Breaking
60: Battle Hymn of the Republic (requires drums)
72: Praise to the Lord, the Almighty (but I think you have to be Mo-Tab good to pull this one off)
99: Nearer, Dear Savior, to Thee (ditto #72)
108: The Lord Is My Shepherd
109: The Lord My Pasture Will Prepare
111: Rock of Ages
136: I Know That My Redeemer Lives
165: Abide with Me; 'Tis Eventide
177: 'Tis Sweet to Sing the Matchless Love
182: We'll Sing All Hail to Jesus' Name
195: How Great the Wisdom and the Love
196: Jesus, Once of Humble Birth
200: Christ the Lord Is Risen Today
221: Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd
241: Count Your Blessings
280: Welcome, Welcome, Sabbath Morning
303: Keep the Commandments
304: Teach Me to Walk in the Light

Edited by zil
s > S

Like Zil, I find it difficult to narrow it down to a few favorites. I will simply note a few that come across my piano frequently:

My Heavenly Father Loves Me (perhaps my favorite primary song)

I Stand All Amazed perhaps my favorite from the hymnal. I have tried to find this one from non-LDS sources, since C H Gabriel was a prolific non-LDS hymn writer, but it seems that this variation of the hymn only shows up in LDS circles.

If You Could Hie to Kolob, mostly because I love the melody/harmonization. The text is good, but gets kind of repetitive in the later verses.

A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief.

He Sent His Son (another primary)

Beautiful Savior (also from our primary songbook, though I believe the source for this one also from broader Christianity).

Perhaps because I am choosing Easter songs for our choir, He Is Risen and Christ the Lord is Risen Today are high on my list.

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty

All Creatures of Our God and King.

For All the Saints

Larry: A Mighty Fortress has also been a favorite for a long time. When I was young, I only experienced the first verse, because our English hymnal only included the first verse. Upon entering a French speaking LDS mission, I learned that the French LDS hymnal included all four verses. In trying to understand why the English hymnal only has one verse, I get the impression that there is an uneasy, incomplete acceptance of this hymn among LDS.

I've never been a hymns kind of guy, I sing them in church, certainly, that is a part of worship. But I am more of an AIR 1 kind of guy, I really enjoy modern Christian contemporary music. It's what's on my car radio when I am commuting.  When I feel sad or, ok, I'll introduce the elephant in the room, dealing with PTSD issues, I listen to AIR 1. 

I don't have a favorite hymn. 

Saw this and thought it was worth sharing.

Dentist's Favorite Hymn: Crown Him With Many Crowns 
Weatherman's Favorite Hymn: There Shall Be Showers of Blessings 
Contractor's Favorite Hymn: The Church's One Foundation 
Tailor's Favorite Hymn: Holy, Holy, Holy 
Golfer's Favorite Hymn: There is a Green Hill Far Away 
Politician's Favorite Hymn: Standing On The Promises 
Optometrist's Favorite Hymn: Open My Eyes That I May See 
IRS Agent's Favorite Hymn: I Surrender All 
Gossip's Favorite Hymn: Pass It On 
Electrician's Favorite Hymn: Send Out Thy Light 
Shopper's Favorite Hymn: Sweet By And By 

11 hours ago, Bad Karma said:

I've never been a hymns kind of guy, I sing them in church, certainly, that is a part of worship. But I am more of an AIR 1 kind of guy, I really enjoy modern Christian contemporary music. It's what's on my car radio when I am commuting.  When I feel sad or, ok, I'll introduce the elephant in the room, dealing with PTSD issues, I listen to AIR 1. 

I don't have a favorite hymn. 

That's alright go ahead and list any contemporary stuff you like as well. I'm a little embarrassed to say that the most contemporary I know of is some Sonicflood songs that I heard from a christian CD commercial back in the 90's.   XD lol

if you have anything more current to share I'd like to hear them. 

My favorite modern one is definitely Oceans by Hillsong. It's such a powerful song when there is a group a people singing it together. Last time I sang it I started crying, which is extremely rare, not to mention a little embarrassing. 

Edited by Larry Cotrell