The Book of Mormon Movie

a mustard seed

Does anyone else remember this film? I remember back when I was in Young Women's, as a mutual activity, we went to a theater to see this film. It was a small, old-timey theater and some church authorities got up and stood in front on the stage and told us about the inspirations for making the film and the experiences the cast and crew had while creating it. I was contemplating buying it but I don't remember much except that it was very long and I came away from it feeling like it was really cool and amazing. Then again, I was 15 or 16 at the time.

Have you seen it? What did you think? Is it worth purchasing?

2 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

If you're talking about the one that came out in the last 10 or so years, I thought it was terrible. LOL

Yeah, the one made in 2003 about the first two books of the Book of Mormon. Hm, I see. What did you think was bad about it? The acting? It's available on Youtube. I might give it a rewatch before purchasing then, because I was uncertain about the 11% on Rotten Tomatoes too. :dontknow:

35 minutes ago, a mustard seed said:

Yeah, the one made in 2003 about the first two books of the Book of Mormon. Hm, I see. What did you think was bad about it? The acting? It's available on Youtube. I might give it a rewatch before purchasing then, because I was uncertain about the 11% on Rotten Tomatoes too. :dontknow:

Okay, never seen it, but this is twice tonight I've read about it here, so can you please provide that Youtube link? That would be great!

33 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

I remember being most offended by the bad costuming. 

After having seen the Lord of the Rings movies... the poor BOM movie probably doesn't stand a chance ;)

1 hour ago, NeedleinA said:

Okay, never seen it, but this is twice tonight I've read about it here, so can you please provide that Youtube link? That would be great!

After having seen the Lord of the Rings movies... the poor BOM movie probably doesn't stand a chance ;)

Sorry, I spoke too soon. When I was checking the wikipedia page there was a link at the bottom that said it was on Youtube. Checking it now, it seems to have been removed.

I respect the dedication and honest intent of those who made that movie. To try to be not overly blunt: Artistically speaking, it was not a good movie. I had very, very modest hopes for it, and those hopes were dashed. You may have enjoyed it at twelve, but I can almost guarantee that you would not enjoy it at 25. (Or if you did enjoy it, it would be for very different reasons than when you were twelve, and different indeed from the intent of those who made it.)

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

I respect the dedication and honest intent of those who made that movie. To try to be not overly blunt: Artistically speaking, it was not a good movie. I had very, very modest hopes for it, and those hopes were dashed. You may have enjoyed it at twelve, but I can almost guarantee that you would not enjoy it at 25. (Or if you did enjoy it, it would be for very different reasons than when you were twelve, and different indeed from the intent of those who made it.)

I gotcha. XD Then probably not a good buy then, at least not until I can view it again in some other way. Funny how some movies are like that; they really wow you when you were younger but then turn out to be completely different when you're an adult. I think it must have been that at the time I was really passionate about the church and it was so unique to go see a Book of Mormon movie on the big screen when I was so used to main stream movies being of a different quality, value-wise.

• 1 month later...