Frustrations signing up for kid's speech therapy

Jane_Doe

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

My son can't growl like a dog.  It sounds like "guhhh".

I have him say "Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer".  Then I give him words with "r" in the middle.

Sounds in the middle of words are the hardest! He is 14! Sorry  just noticed this. Hmm if r in the beginning and end of words are fine, then short words with r in the middle eg word, and build up.

First step, r in beginning

second step, r at the end

then middle

so check if 1st and last are ok

Edited by Sunday21

23 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

I did not know that about you!

I went through speech therapy at school myself for a decade.  It didn't do a lick of good.  But that was also many years ago.

What they tell us to do at home is exactly what we've been doing all along.  It seems to be redundant to go to be told to keep doing what we are doing al along.

Repetition is good. You should be doing the same thing at home as in therapy. 

Edited by Sunday21

Oh so you had been having therapy, then you went somewhere else, paid for an assessment, then had therapy. The first type of therapy was the same as the second? Where I worked, the assessment was required but did not change or in any way effect what we did. In Canada the government paid for all. The assessment was part of the rules but if I had stayed, I would have skipped the assessment. Older more experienced therapists skipped the asssessment. The insurance company may insist on the assessment.

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

Oh so you had been having therapy, then you went somewhere else, paid for an assessment, then had therapy. The first type of therapy was the same as the second? Where I worked, the assessment was required but did not change or in any way effect what we did. In Canada the government paid for all. The assessment was part of the rules but if I had stayed, I would have skipped the assessment. Older more experienced therapists skipped the asssessment. The insurance company may insist on the assessment.

We were doing XYZ, and then signed up for therapy.  After 2 months of assessing (majority of it off-topic), we finally got into therapy.  Lady told us to do XYZ (the exact same thing we had been doing).  After 3 months she had a birthday had to move programs and be completely assessed again (majority of it off-topic), which has been long and frustrating.  I'm hoping the new therapist will be better.       Oh, and yes little girl has much improved, but I don't think it has anything to do with going to therapy.

I'm currently working with two speech-related IEPs... one requiring very specific classroom work on my part. Darling and very smart little girl, but quite the lisp.

Patience is all I can say.

As a positive story, my two little brothers were in several years' of intense speech therapy. Come high school, they were in the high choir and doing school plays.

6 hours ago, Backroads said:

I'm currently working with two speech-related IEPs... one requiring very specific classroom work on my part. Darling and very smart little girl, but quite the lisp.

Patience is all I can say.

As a positive story, my two little brothers were in several years' of intense speech therapy. Come high school, they were in the high choir and doing school plays.

Good news about your brothers!

12 hours ago, Backroads said:

Do you actively work with the girl on her lisp in your classroom?  Or is it a thing where people pull her out to work with her?

1 hour ago, Jane_Doe said:

Do you actively work with the girl on her lisp in your classroom?  Or is it a thing where people pull her out to work with her?

Both. I have two kiddos on speech IEPs. They are both pulled, but the one in question also involves a lot of work on my part.

OK, I had another session with my son.  I had already explained to him about "cupping" his tongue.  But he has been curling it into a virtual cinnamon roll.  I straightened that out for him.  Now it's just a matter of practice.

(exhale).

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, aruth5000 said:

My son has apraxia of speech. His speech therapist is literally the best... O ly problem is our insurance only covers 10 visits a year.... :(

Can you space out the visits? Go once a month? If so, you may be fine. The parent is really the person doing the therapy. The therapist can teach the parent, reassess the child and adjust the therapy program.

• 3 months later...

When my  middle son was a kid he struggled with 'r' sounds as well.  We put him in speech therapy and he resisted... Oh how he resisted.  He hated the idea that he needed help of any kind from any one for any reason.  I was really afraid that his stubbornness would get in the way of his gaining any benefit from the experience, but fortunately he did learn a lot and after that spoke normally.  He's 23 now and you'd never know he had an issue.