President Trumps Inagural Address

Windseeker

Chief Justice Roberts, President Carter, President Clinton, President Bush, President Obama, fellow Americans, and people of the world: Thank you.
We, the citizens of America, are now joined in a great national effort to rebuild our country and to restore its promise for all of our people.
Together, we will determine the course of America and the world for years to come.
We will face challenges. We will confront hardships. But we will get the job done.
Every four years, we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful transfer of power, and we are grateful to President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama for their gracious aid throughout this transition. They have been magnificent.
Today's ceremony, however, has very special meaning. Because today we are not merely transferring power from one administration to another, or from one party to another -- but we are transferring power from Washington, D.C. and giving it back to you, the American People.
For too long, a small group in our nation's Capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have borne the cost. Washington flourished -- but the people did not share in its wealth. Politicians prospered -- but the jobs left, and the factories closed.
The establishment protected itself, but not the citizens of our country. Their victories have not been your victories; their triumphs have not been your triumphs; and while they celebrated in our nation's capital, there was little to celebrate for struggling families all across our land.
That all changes -- starting right here, and right now, because this moment is your moment: it belongs to you.
It belongs to everyone gathered here today and everyone watching all across America. This is your day. This is your celebration. And this, the United States of America, is your country.
What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer.
Everyone is listening to you now.
You came by the tens of millions to become part of a historic movement the likes of which the world has never seen before. At the center of this movement is a crucial conviction: that a nation exists to serve its citizens.
Americans want great schools for their children, safe neighborhoods for their families, and good jobs for themselves. These are the just and reasonable demands of a righteous public.
But for too many of our citizens, a different reality exists: Mothers and children trapped in poverty in our inner cities; rusted-out factories scattered like tombstones across the landscape of our nation; an education system flush with cash, but which leaves our young and beautiful students deprived of knowledge; and the crime and gangs and drugs that have stolen too many lives and robbed our country of so much unrealized potential.
This American carnage stops right here and stops right now.
We are one nation -- and their pain is our pain. Their dreams are our dreams; and their success will be our success. We share one heart, one home, and one glorious destiny.
The oath of office I take today is an oath of allegiance to all Americans.
For many decades, we've enriched foreign industry at the expense of American industry; subsidized the armies of other countries while allowing for the very sad depletion of our military; we've defended other nation's borders while refusing to defend our own; and spent trillions of dollars overseas while America's infrastructure has fallen into disrepair and decay.
We've made other countries rich while the wealth, strength, and confidence of our country has disappeared over the horizon.
One by one, the factories shuttered and left our shores, with not even a thought about the millions upon millions of American workers left behind.
The wealth of our middle class has been ripped from their homes and then redistributed across the entire world.
But that is the past. And now we are looking only to the future. We assembled here today are issuing a new decree to be heard in every city, in every foreign capital, and in every hall of power.
From this day forward, a new vision will govern our land.
From this moment on, it's going to be America First.
Every decision on trade, on taxes, on immigration, on foreign affairs, will be made to benefit American workers and American families. We must protect our borders from the ravages of other countries making our products, stealing our companies, and destroying our jobs. Protection will lead to great prosperity and strength.
I will fight for you with every breath in my body -- and I will never, ever let you down.
America will start winning again, winning like never before.
We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth. And we will bring back our dreams.
We will build new roads, and highways, and bridges, and airports, and tunnels, and railways all across our wonderful nation.
We will get our people off of welfare and back to work -- rebuilding our country with American hands and American labor.
We will follow two simple rules: Buy American and hire American.
We will seek friendship and goodwill with the nations of the world -- but we do so with the understanding that it is the right of all nations to put their own interests first.
We do not seek to impose our way of life on anyone, but rather to let it shine as an example for everyone to follow.
We will reinforce old alliances and form new ones -- and unite the civilized world against radical Islamic terrorism, which we will eradicate completely from the face of the Earth.
At the bedrock of our politics will be a total allegiance to the United States of America, and through our loyalty to our country, we will rediscover our loyalty to each other.
When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice. The Bible tells us, "How good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity."
We must speak our minds openly, debate our disagreements honestly, but always pursue solidarity.
When America is united, America is totally unstoppable.
There should be no fear -- we are protected, and we will always be protected.
We will be protected by the great men and women of our military and law enforcement and, most importantly, we are protected by God.
Finally, we must think big and dream even bigger.
In America, we understand that a nation is only living as long as it is striving.
We will no longer accept politicians who are all talk and no action -- constantly complaining but never doing anything about it.
The time for empty talk is over. Now arrives the hour of action.
Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America.
We will not fail. Our country will thrive and prosper again.
We stand at the birth of a new millennium, ready to unlock the mysteries of space, to free the Earth from the miseries of disease, and to harness the energies, industries and technologies of tomorrow.
A new national pride will stir our souls, lift our sights, and heal our divisions.
It is time to remember that old wisdom our soldiers will never forget: that whether we are black or brown or white, we all bleed the same red blood of patriots, we all enjoy the same glorious freedoms, and we all salute the same great American Flag.
And whether a child is born in the urban sprawl of Detroit or the windswept plains of Nebraska, they look up at the same night sky, they fill their heart with the same dreams, and they are infused with the breath of life by the same almighty Creator.
So to all Americans, in every city near and far, small and large, from mountain to mountain, and from ocean to ocean, hear these words:
You will never be ignored again.
Your voice, your hopes, and your dreams will define our American destiny. And your courage and goodness and love will forever guide us along the way.
Together, We will make America strong again.
We will make wealthy again.
We will make America proud again.
We will make America safe again.
And yes, together, we will make America great again. Thank you. God bless you. And God bless America.
Edited by Windseeker

No attempt at a politically unifying speech. Maybe what Trump said was what we needed to hear, but it certainly is not an open and welcoming inaugural speech. It is an open slap in the face to the previous administration(s) and to those who enthusiastically supported Obama's efforts. The battle lines have been drawn.

If Trump can deliver on 50% of his rhetoric, he will be a stunning success. Here's to hoping.

Was hoping to hear your take Vort. 

Obviously populist, but no more a slap in the face then Obama's farewell speech. 

ie.."If we’re unwilling to invest in the children of immigrants, just because they don’t look like us, we will diminish the prospects of our own children — because those brown kids will represent a larger and larger share of America’s workforce."

I really like how the IA shifted focus and power from DC back to the people all across the nation.. The long forgotten are forgotten no more. 

Like Vort, I think this is a backhanded slap to the faces of everyone who has forgotten who is supposed to serve whom. A not so gentle wake-up call that will no doubt continue to be ignored and vigorously resisted, though increasingly to their dis-benefit.

I am particularly pleased to see all the protesting--not just because, as Rush indicated, it show the world who these people really are, but also it is an ironic and unintended celebration of free speech. The intolerable behavior of the intolerant is fearlessly and graciously tolerated by the truly tolerant. Let the self-discrediting weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth from the rent-a-mobs stand as a monument to their collective immaturity, as well as a monument to the greatness of America for given even buffoons the freedom to speak their minds-what little there may be.

All in all, a good day and a positive step towards greatness.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

22 minutes ago, wenglund said:

the IA shifted focus and power from DC back to the people all across the nation

Um, you mean how the professional speech-writer who wrote the IA talked about the idea of shifting focus and power from DC to the people?  Let's not get delusional here.  Nothing happened except a bunch of sounds came out of a human mouth.  We can all hope that some of the things in that speech will be attempted by politicians (I'm skeptical), and we can pray that some of them actually happen (still skeptical).  But the speech was just a speech, it didn't dismantle corrupt or wasteful bureaucracies, it didn't shut down useless government offices, revoke crippling regulations, nor end frivolous lawsuits.  Whether any real good comes from this change in administrations is yet to be seen.

The speech-writer did his job well, though.

Not that it matters.  My pen has arrived and when I add up the online votes and IRL votes, we have a tie. :banghead:

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, zil said:

But the speech was just a speech, it didn't dismantle corrupt or wasteful bureaucracies, it didn't shut down useless government offices, revoke crippling regulations, nor end frivolous lawsuits. 

Amen. After all , that's how he got elected. Duping a large portion of the populace that he could do things he really can't. 

It's all about "Welcome to the new boss, same as the old boss." 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest LiterateParakeet
29 minutes ago, wenglund said:

I am particularly pleased to see all the protesting--not just because, as Rush indicated, it show the world who these people really are, but also it is an ironic and unintended celebration of free speech. The intolerable behavior of the intolerant is fearlessly and graciously tolerated by the truly tolerant. Let the self-discrediting weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth from the rent-a-mobs stand as a monument to their collective immaturity, as well as a monument to the greatness of America for given even buffoons the freedom to speak their minds-what little there may be.

Screenshot 2017-01-20 13.46.14.png

Screenshot 2017-01-20 13.49.08.png

Screenshot 2017-01-20 13.50.03.png

Screenshot 2017-01-20 13.50.48.png

12 minutes ago, zil said:

Um, you mean how the professional speech-writer who wrote the IA talked about the idea of shifting focus and power from DC to the people?  Let's not get delusional here.  Nothing happened except a bunch of sounds came out of a human mouth.  We can all hope that some of the things in that speech will be attempted by politicians (I'm skeptical), and we can pray that some of them actually happen (still skeptical).  But the speech was just a speech, it didn't dismantle corrupt or wasteful bureaucracies, it didn't shut down useless government offices, revoke crippling regulations, nor end frivolous lawsuits.  Whether any real good comes from this change in administrations is yet to be seen.

The speech-writer did his job well, though.

Not that it matters.  My pen has arrived and when I add up the online votes and IRL votes, we have a tie. :banghead:

A commentator on Fox said something profound. He said that, unlike his predecessor, Trump doesn't want to be know as an orator, but as a man of action. I happen to agree.

So, you can give all the credit today to the speech writers, but time will tell whether you are fair in your assessment or failing to heed your own warning not to get delusional here--that, and sour grapes.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, wenglund said:

So, you can give all the credit today to the speech writers, but time will tell whether you are fair in your assessment or failing to heed your own warning not to get

Time will also tell whether you are correct. @zil is hardly acting "delusional" thank you very much. 

13 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Point well taken. The Left doesn't have a monopoly on unhinged reactionaries--though, I wouldn't put it past some of the radical liberals to pose as Obama agitators in a way to give the Right a bad name. They are known for their manufactured outrages. 

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Time will also tell whether you are correct. @zil is hardly acting "delusional" thank you very much. 

Please forgive me, but I will let time, and not you, be the judge.

Besides, anyone who thinks that the speech writers establish policy for the President, rather than simply putting the President's policies into flowery words, has already taken flight towards fantasy.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, wenglund said:

, but I will let time, and not you, be the judge.

The same could be said to you as well. I'll let "time" and not "you" be the judge on if Trump can do what he says. So far, he hasn't accomplished anything. 

9 minutes ago, wenglund said:

Besides, anyone who thinks that the speech writers establish policy for the President, rather than simply putting the President's policies into flowery words, has already taken flight towards fantasy.

I would never speak for @zil but I'm 99.9% sure that isn't what she said or meant. 

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

The same could be said to you as well. I'll let "time" and not "you" be the judge on if Trump can do what he says. So far, he hasn't accomplished anything. 

I would never speak for @zil but I'm 99.9% sure that isn't what she said or meant. 

What I said, and meant, is that the speech writer wrote about an idea, and Trump recited the speech which included the idea.  No focus or power was moved by the mere act of speaking the words.  Time will indeed tell whether focus or power shifts and how. (In other words, it "is yet to be seen".)  I am skeptical because anyone who has observed the political world long enough knows that politicians rarely deliver (especially fully) on what they say (no duh, cuz it's not a one-man show, it takes cooperation which pretty much always means compromise); and because anyone who understands our form of government knows that it takes congress to make and repeal laws, the president to enforce them, and the supreme court to determine if the laws (or enforcement methods) are constitutional.  One man entering office, one speech, does not move a machine that big.  Time will tell whether, and to what extent, the other moving parts cooperate with the ideas voiced in today's speech.

5 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Or in other words Talk is cheap.  Trump is going to have to get in the trenches with the Republican's and the Democrats and get most of them working his way.  By any definition of the words that is going to be incredibly difficult.

Will he be able to???   Who knows... His fans say yes.  His detractors say no... everyone else is we will see.

So, a few years back, my company was losing money, customers, market share, and more money.  The board of directors brought in an executive from the outside.  Someone good at 'right sizing'.  He slashed divisions, laid off people right and left, got us out of this or that business and product line, wrecked a bunch of heritage, broke a bunch of the traditions, sold our precious holiday property.  Just about everyone had an opinion about him, and most of them sounded like some of the critics I hear talking about Trump.  All critical laundry lists of his failings and character defects and why he was a bad guy and needed to fail.

2 years later, we all rejoiced as he left the company and we all returned to sanity.  We returned to health and profitability soon after. Now, a decade later, people don't even speak his name now.  I don't think anybody will ever admit he did what needed doing, with the objectivity nobody else had.

It is my sincere hope that Trump will do the same thing to the federal government.  

Nope, sorry @LiterateParakeet but these signs aren't the moral equivalent of the intensity of what's coming out of the left.

3 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

This one I will grant is very inappropriate as it suggests a lynching which has serious racist overtones.  So on this one I'll agree with you.  That's one.

No, this one's a birther sign.  It isn't inherently racist or violent or even particularly over the top, as it's questioning Obama's Constitutional suitability.  Nothing about it is inherently hateful.

Again, it's a birther thing.  Mean spirited, yes, but again not to the same level.

Comparing politicians to Hitler is so commonplace I am surprised anyone pays attention to it, though I will say the first time I recall an American President being compared to Hitler, it was George W. Bush.

Eh, it was a fine speech. I'm still mostly neutral on this election result.

I showed part of the inauguration to my students, we read about Inauguration Day, and colored patriotic owl pictures.

Coloring patriotic owls would do a lot in bringing us together as a country.

A protestor holds a sign not a rock. 

And I am big on free speech, even if it's offensive to me or anyone else.

As to Trump, the only thing I would have changed was the word "wealthy' to "prosperous" because it implies more than just money, and is less greedy sounding.

I thought the most promising line was:

... today we are not merely transferring power from one administration to another, or from one party to another -- but we are transferring power from Washington, D.C. and giving it back to you, the American People

Edited by bytebear

Guest LiterateParakeet
7 hours ago, unixknight said:

Nope, sorry @LiterateParakeet but these signs aren't the moral equivalent of the intensity of what's coming out of the left.

Wade said he was happy about the protesting because it "shows who these people really are  . . ." etc.  I was only making the point that both sides have people who use their free speech in blatantly negative ways.  Whether one is worse than the other is subjective, as is whether one candidate deserves more protest than the other.  That...subjective...conversation is one I don't want to get into.  

Comparing politicians to Hitler is so commonplace I am surprised anyone pays attention to it, though I will say the first time I recall an American President being compared to Hitler, it was George W. Bush.

I agree and that was my point...to show similarities among protestors. 

4 hours ago, bytebear said:

I thought the most promising line was:

... today we are not merely transferring power from one administration to another, or from one party to another -- but we are transferring power from Washington, D.C. and giving it back to you, the American People

I'm not sure what this line means. It has to be metaphorical, but even so I don't know he wants me to believe. What power is he telling me I used to have, then lost, and am now getting back?