On Being Able to See Another’s Viewpoint

Mike

10 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Some atheist ranting against my religion-based answer to a question on whether an interpretation of the Bible as hell being earth is more accurate than hell being, uhm... well, hell.

Sounds like a potential thread in itself.  But unless you are disinterested in giving me more detail, I am interested in learning more. I'm curious about what lead to the question in the first place, and whether it was the (atheist) who asked it. Also, how did you answer the question?  I'm not clear on how the (atheist) drew the conclusion that God causes bone cancer in babies and how believing in that God makes one a monster.

@anatess2 Just as an aside I can easily understand how some people (and even some discouraged Mormons from time-to-time) could come away with the notion (as inaccurate is it may be) that Earth is at least a very hellish place--given that at least one big player fancies himself to be in charge. 

47 minutes ago, Mike said:

Sounds like a potential thread in itself.  But unless you are disinterested in giving me more detail, I am interested in learning more. I'm curious about what lead to the question in the first place, and whether it was the (atheist) who asked it. Also, how did you answer the question?  I'm not clear on how the (atheist) drew the conclusion that God causes bone cancer in babies and how believing in that God makes one a monster.

It was just a question asked by someone on an internet discussion board.  The person who asked did not grow up in a religious home so he was studying the Bible on his own.  His reading of the Bible made him think that the biblical references to heaven and hell are allegorical references to human conditions on earth and not necessarily in the afterlife.  He thinks that the afterlife is just heaven.  In any case, I answered with the LDS perspective on heaven and hell - a Gospel principles type answer, of course, with plenty of references to God and this atheist on the discussion board just went and called my God a monster because he gives children bone cancer and I'm a monster as well for believing in that.  He, of course, made the same cruel statements to the poster of the question for wasting his time studying a monstrous book.

Edited by anatess2

6 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

It was just a question asked by someone on an internet discussion board.  The person who asked did not grow up in a religious home so he was studying the Bible on his own.  His reading of the Bible made him think that the biblical references to heaven and hell are allegorical references to human conditions on earth and not necessarily in the afterlife.  He thinks that the afterlife is just heaven.  In any case, I answered with the LDS perspective on heaven and hell - a Gospel principles type answer, of course, with plenty of references to God and this atheist on the discussion board just went and called my God a monster because he gives children bone cancer and I'm a monster as well for believing in that.  He, of course, made the same cruel statements to the poster of the question for wasting his time studying a monstrous book.

Thanks for that. :)

On 2/10/2017 at 0:22 PM, MormonGator said:

@Suzie

I love how you call yourself a "Black Sheep Mormon" 

Sounds way better than being a colourless crocodile. And we know that the Shephard is interesting in looking after His sheep, no matter what colour they are, but nobody cares about the alligators. 

• pam unfeatured this topic